The Hype of Rasmus Dahlin

Hoss

If there’s one big positive thing from this season it’s how much people have forgotten about Rasmus Dahlin. That’s a weird way to phrase it but the hype on this kid was absolutely next level. Hall of Fame defenseman was the read from every scout.

And... he’s living up to what you’d expect from an 18-year-old future Hall of Famer. I feel like so many people, myself included, just kind of put Dahlin in a corner and accepted “okay he’s great what else can we talk about?” But we should be absolutely out of our minds hyped about this kid’s future still.

He’s already over a 0.5 PPG defenseman which is a good gauge for very good offensive defenseman IN THEIR PRIME. He’s not 19 yet. Tyler Myers in 09 was the last 41+ point defenseman not named Rasmus for this franchise.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If there’s one big positive thing from this season it’s how much people have forgotten about Rasmus Dahlin. That’s a weird way to phrase it but the hype on this kid was absolutely next level. Hall of Fame defenseman was the read from every scout.

And... he’s living up to what you’d expect from an 18-year-old future Hall of Famer. I feel like so many people, myself included, just kind of put Dahlin in a corner and accepted “okay he’s great what else can we talk about?” But we should be absolutely out of our minds hyped about this kid’s future still.

He’s already over a 0.5 PPG defenseman which is a good gauge for very good offensive defenseman IN THEIR PRIME. He’s not 19 yet. Tyler Myers in 09 was the last 41+ point defenseman not named Rasmus for this franchise.

And yet we get posters that will focus on the one or two bad plays he makes per game. They don’t remember sitting in their parents basement smoking cheap weed and playing long forgotten PlayStation(Atari in my day) at that exact age...didn’t he surpass Orr’s rookie season tonight? 

IMO there are too many lost dreams clouding too much judgement. It’s not as far off as the doomsday prophets will lead you to believe....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

And yet we get posters that will focus on the one or two bad plays he makes per game. They don’t remember sitting in their parents basement smoking cheap weed and playing long forgotten PlayStation(Atari in my day) at that exact age...didn’t he surpass Orr’s rookie season tonight? 

IMO there are too many lost dreams clouding too much judgement. It’s not as far off as the doomsday prophets will lead you to believe....

Considering Orr had 41 in 61, no. 

Orr 41/61 = .67 points per game. 

Dahlin 39/73 = .53 points per game. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't think anyone's forgotten about him. It's now simply agreed that he is going to be great so check that box and move on to other issues. The future of this team, or at least the speed of it's success is dependent on the rest of the under 24s blossoming, like Nylander, Mittlestadt, Thompson..........If they all suck or fail to develop into anything above mediocre we won't improve much. Dahlin and Eichel are superstar calibre and we have both of them!

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

He's fun to watch. Tonight he was flying.  He does something every game that makes me shake my head.  He's got a gift that can't be taught.  At 18!!

What I love about him is that even with him doing what he's doing now, it is really obvious that he is nowhere close to his ceiling.  Which is obvious and understandable as he's still a baby.

He makes tons of mistakes and has had many rough nights this year.  His play within games can be very up and down...and yet his baseline level of performance is through the roof, especially for his age, and you can see, really clearly, how freaking good he is going to be.

Hell, his body hasn't even filled out yet and he looks like a timid boy on the ice, despite his talent.

When he blossoms into a man and is much stronger, he's going to be lights out, and stay that way for a very long time.

6 hours ago, Ogre said:

One thread.  And you’ve terribly mischaracterized it.

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Assists as an 18 y/o defenseman...Housley 57, Dahlin 39, Orr 38....

1 hour ago, Weave said:

One thread.  And you’ve terribly mischaracterized it.

Ok....

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

What a great post.  Agree with all of it.  I watched the leafs feed last night and when they put up the graphic showing Dahlin passing Bobby friggen Orr for most points as an 18 year old d it really put it into perspective for me.  You never know if the highly hyped prospect will live up to the billing but so far he has absolutely hit it for me. 

Should also add that he reminds me of Eichel in his rookie year where he's putting up some pretty good points but there are another one or two plays every game that could have easily went in to inflate the already lofty numbers.  If he can develop a harder shot then the sky is the limit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Should also add that he reminds me of Eichel in his rookie year where he's putting up some pretty good points but there are another one or two plays every game that could have easily went in to inflate the already lofty numbers.  If he can develop a harder shot then the sky is the limit.

It's a pretty good analogy. Eichel needed to work on his D and Rasmus has some wrinkles to iron out as well back there. Mentally Rasmus seems miles ahead of where Jack was. Dahlin's ceiling seems so much higher than Jack's. Jack's almost to his and he's fine, but only a few will call him great or a superstar or think of him in Hart terms. Dahlin can be this Sabre generation's Hasek when it comes to hardware. That said, there's a long way to go to make that leap from as-advertised rookie to Norris, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

It's a pretty good analogy. Eichel needed to work on his D and Rasmus has some wrinkles to iron out as well back there. Mentally Rasmus seems miles ahead of where Jack was. Dahlin's ceiling seems so much higher than Jack's. Jack's almost to his and he's fine, but only a few will call him great or a superstar or think of him in Hart terms. Dahlin can be this Sabre generation's Hasek when it comes to hardware. That said, there's a long way to go to make that leap from as-advertised rookie to Norris, etc.

The bar people constantly set for Dahlin is Bobby F'N Orr.  Let that settle in for a second.  That may as well be an impossible standard.  And this isn't a limbo bar like most of our other players regularly clear with ease.  We're talking about the pole vault.  If he can even come close to grazing that bar, we are in for one hell of a ride.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Only 61 games?  According to SabreSpace logic, that means Orr was injury prone and a bad player.

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's now simply agreed that he is going to be great so check that box and move on to other issues.

I said almost this exact thing in the first post. As @nfreeman will tell you I’m an expert who never says the exact same thing as the OP without reading OP.

I don't mean to hijack the thread and I totally agree that Dahlin is fantastic.  

I know I haven't posted long enough for anyone to "know or remember" my posts,  but if anyone does, I'm overly optimistic.  

I must say this last couple months has been draining to me.  Not because I expected a ton out of this season or that I got caught up in the early success.  It's that even with excellent play from Dahlin, him giving us quality minutes, he's producing points and the defense staying relatively healthy (- recent McCabe injury).  The defensive needle hasn't moved.  We're still very very bad.  

36 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread and I totally agree that Dahlin is fantastic.  

I know I haven't posted long enough for anyone to "know or remember" my posts,  but if anyone does, I'm overly optimistic.  

I must say this last couple months has been draining to me.  Not because I expected a ton out of this season or that I got caught up in the early success.  It's that even with excellent play from Dahlin, him giving us quality minutes, he's producing points and the defense staying relatively healthy (- recent McCabe injury).  The defensive needle hasn't moved.  We're still very very bad.  

This is my sentiment as well. Hey we got a HOF type defenseman, oh yeah, you still suck on D.  Ugh!!

Look at what Keith, Doughty and Hedman were doing at this age. He is going to get so much better.

I still think we don’t know what we have here. In 3-5 years he is going to be tilting the ice for us dramatically 25 minutes every game.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Look at what Keith, Doughty and Hedman were doing at this age. He is going to get so much better.

I still think we don’t know what we have here. In 3-5 years he is going to be tilting the ice for us dramatically 25 minutes every game.

Think of all the top 5 draft picks he'll have to play with 

• Haha (+1) 1

I am very pleased with Dahlin.  

I see see that he has a bit of a mean streak too.  He has the frame to add muscle.  He seems hockey smart.   Add more strength and more experience to his already superior skating, vision, and hands ... then look out.  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Watching Kings-Sharks right now. They just mentioned that when they were talking to Drew Doughty, he had some really good things to say about Dahlin, and mentioned his improvement from the first game they played to the second.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:55 AM, Derrico said:

Good point. I would say though that Dahlin's rookie season has been a fair bit more impressive than Eichel's overall, and he had a really good rookie season.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:07 AM, PASabreFan said:

I feel like there is a gap between superstar and perennial Hart candidate. There are many more superstars in the league than Hart level players, right? Anyone in the Hart conversation every year is among the top 3-5 players in the game.

I think many view Jack as a superstar right now, or at least a potential superstar. A lot of it might be semantics though or how one chooses to define the terms. Jack's established himself as an all-star and he's going to be an all-star level player every season for the foreseeable future, to me that's a superstar.

I'd call MacKinnon a superstar for example, and Jack's career trajectory is still comparing favorably. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.