GDT:Leafs at Sabres 7pm 3/20/19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Pretty good. Got them  3 of their 4 best players.

This team isn't crap because of Reinhart, Eichel, Dahlin and Skinner.  Its crap because they don't have much else.

A top pick this year (with some luck with the lottery balls) will most likely another "core" piece.

So what does another top pick do for this team? Everything is always next year

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Another top pick adds another top pick.  This team needs 4 to 6 impact players; we are nowhere close to where we need to be.

completely agree, so why not add one by getting the best pick possible?  there is nothing to be gained by winning out in the last 9 games. And like Radar, I completely understand the frustration. its not where I wanted them to be this year.

Edited by Crusader1969

14 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

completely agree, so why not add one by getting the best pick possible?  there is nothing to be gained by winning out in the last 9 games. And like Radar, I completely understand the frustration. its not where I wanted them to be this year.

I get this but I also think there's no worry that this team will win out these last few games....they've won 14 since November

Edited by nucci
spelling

On 3/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, freester said:

Harrington in his column today ripped Botteril for essentially forcing Housley to play Thompson and Sobotka.  Its time Bots took some blame for this disaster.  I would say it more on Botteril than Housley, after all it was Botteril who hired Housley

This is not a shot against you, but does Harrington also believe Botterill forced Housley to sit EROD for quite a few games in the beginning of the season?  Why in a season that is supposed to be about development were Rochester Call Ups placed on the Fourth Line  or the pressbox consistently. A young player makes a mistake and is stapled to the bench or eating popcorn the next game. Bogosian, Sobotka and Scandella make the same mistakes night in and night out and they rarely miss a shift. 

Did Botterill tell Housley to use Sobotka in a defensive role by having most of his shifts start in the D Zone, even though he has never done this at all in his whole career? 

Everytime Botterill has been asked about how the game day lineup is determined, Botterill mentioned he and Jason Nightengale give input, but the ultimate decision on the final lineup is made by Housley and his Assistants. 

Botterill does bear some responsibility as the ROR Trade is a disaster right now for the Sabres. 

And Housley was near the top the list of HC Prospects when he was hired, I was one of his most vocal supporters on the board. But I do find it interesting that every insider linked Rick Tocchet to Botterill and later it came out that the Sabres never asked Pittsburgh for an interview.  That followed by Pegula saying I remember watching him play at the Aud at Housley’s Press Conference. 

Don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out JBotto is forcing Housley to play Thompson, and Sobotka and Scandella as these are all he has to show for some pretty bad trades and he has to have something to show for basically giving OReilly away. Everyone was blaming OReilly for the losing culture within the dressing room so I wonder who we are to blame now? Kane was also traded cause he has an "attitude". Funny both seem to be doing quite fine where they are now. If we had got anything back in return for two bonafide NHL star players we'd be much better off today. You really think we can lose those two guys and get basically nothing in return and that isn;t going to hurt this team significantly?  JBotto is trying desperately to get rid of Murray's guys and build his own team but gave away two very big assets in doing so for nothing, That in itself hurt this team immensely 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/21/2019 at 8:28 AM, Doohickie said:

I think that's part of the reason for the Skinner goal drought.  It's reverting back to the days of Eichel-EKane when we said multiple puck hogs on a line wouldn't work.  Earlier in the season Jack made the effort to be a setup man.  His goals were down but Skinner was scoring to beat the band.  Now Jack is scoring more, albeit not at Skinner's earlier pace.  Yes, part of that might be Skinner's ankle. 

I think that's why HCPH separated them yesterday.

Definitely. Some people were clamoring for more goals, but he was producing points at a better rate and I think Jack is at his best as a playmaker, at this point in his career. He's still going to get his shots - he seems to always be near the top of the league in that category. Jack was also shooting for rebounds earlier in the year and Skinner was cashing. 

On 3/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Crusader1969 said:

This question is asked so much and the answer is a simple one: the way you get a better pick (minus the lottery) is by proving yourself to be more in need of said pick, ie, being bad. I swear some people would rather come in 31st than 17th and see no difference between the two other that draft position.

It's not that anyone thinks winning games now "gains" you anything, it's not about the causation, it's the correlation: If it's our young, core players getting the job done, wining 8 out of the last 9 could be a sign of real growth, and something really positive. Obvious caveat is that the underlying metrics look sustainable.

I can totally see the "get a better pick" side, but I don't think wanting to see a string of wins is wrong, either. I think most would agree that Sobotka catching fire and Hutton standing on his head as we get outshot 42-25 and fluke off 6 shoot-out wins over the next 9, would be less than ideal. 

I'd be more hopeful adding a top 5-10 pick to a group showing signs of life, than a top 3 -5 pick to a team that's flat-lined. 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Everytime Botterill has been asked about how the game day lineup is determined, Botterill mentioned he and Jason Nightengale give input, but the ultimate decision on the final lineup is made by Housley and his Assistants. 

Botterill is still then, in effect, responsible for the lineup, as the decision to ultimately leave it up to Housley, is his personal choice. 

I would agree that there is something to be gained by playing in meaningful games in March when you  have a young core BUT once the games stop to matter.- get me as close to the top of the draft as possible.  So, more than likely I’d prefer to end 17th last IF elimination from playoff contention happens in last couple of games of season.  BUT that is not the case now.  I don’t believe there is any benefit from winning now going into next year. There could be a negative consequence if mgmt sees the winning as a reason to keep the “group” together.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  “He allows this to happen?” What does PH say in his pre-game speech? “Guys I want you to take your time, easy into the game, no worries.”

Sounds to me like the players lack the necessary locker-room leadership and professionalism to put the correct effort forward.  How is that PH’s fault?  

He sets the tone.  The come out flat so you know the message and game plan are lost on them.  Once guys tone out a coach he is doomed.  PH is a novice Head Coach and over his head in the NHL.

7 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

He sets the tone.  The come out flat so you know the message and game plan are lost on them.  Once guys tone out a coach he is doomed.  PH is a novice Head Coach and over his head in the NHL.

This isn't high school football.  These are pros who in addition to simply being pros are also fighting for PT, contracts, even to stay in the NHL.  If they need a coach to motivate them to play our biggest rival, then these guys to find another job. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.