GDT:Leafs at Sabres 7pm 3/20/19

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  “He allows this to happen?” What does PH say in his pre-game speech? “Guys I want you to take your time, easy into the game, no worries.”

Sounds to me like the players lack the necessary locker-room leadership and professionalism to put the correct effort forward.  How is that PH’s fault?  

I wish I knew. Every year we replace about 8 players or so but we still suck.  Who is left from the original ***** show?  

There are natural leaders and leaders can be grown from within too. 

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  “He allows this to happen?” What does PH say in his pre-game speech? “Guys I want you to take your time, easy into the game, no worries.”

Sounds to me like the players lack the necessary locker-room leadership and professionalism to put the correct effort forward.  How is that PH’s fault?  

He's a bad coach, or they are uncoachable. 

I'll go with the former because it's easier to sleep at night. 

And it's not just "roster". They are less than the sum of their parts. On paper this isn't a bottom-5 roster. Never mind the fact they are basically playing at the level of dead last since November.

That we've been the worst team in the league for the last nearly 4 months is a damning indictment of the coach, to me. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Take away the 10 game streak and we are the same as last year with Dahlin.  

Time to win.  The quitting and the soft play has to come to an end.  I just does 

Time to win left the barn a month ago. 

It’s not about this year. It’s about next year and the years after.  We need more guys that have skill and the ability to hold onto then puck for more than 2 seconds.  These guys are found at the top of the draft. Let’s lose out and get the best puck possible 

Just for once... Housley should tell the players one word in the pregame... Shoot... Get the puck... If you are open... Shoot... If you are not open get it to any open man to put a shot on goal... No pretty plays... Get in fron of the net... Let the points shoot... Shoot... Shoot... Defense will take care of itself... Shoot the puck on net... Rush the net... Just for once... Let the players play...

15 minutes ago, eman said:

On the TSN broadcast they mentioned that Babcock  made that a point to address with the Leafs: to "start the game on time" after their past few outings. It seemed to work for them.

FFS. They lost 4 out of their last 5 before tonight. 

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It’s not about this year. It’s about next year and the years after.  We need more guys that have skill and the ability to hold onto then puck for more than 2 seconds.  These guys are found at the top of the draft. Let’s lose out and get the best puck possible 

I disagree good sir. Edmonton got a bunch of first overall picks and cycled coaching staff. Didn't work out for them and there is no reason to believe it will for us. The time for playing for draft picks has come and gone. A couple vet acquisitions and call ups are good to go.These guys need to make it work. Case in point, Mitts was supposed to be the 2C but he sucks at it. Its not because of his age, he just sucks at it. Find a place on the team where he can use what he is good at to help. If they cant find that place then trade him for something useful. Same can be said for a number of players. To answer a possible question in response to this, yes I am saying if the player isn't doing what they were brought in for then get rid of them. Disregard age or experience or any other excuse. You want to be a professional hockey player for the Sabres? Then be it or find another line of work. If I am being too hard headed about it then maybe they can bench guys. I'm not a coach but I know there is no repercussions for sucking on this team.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I know Toronto is a powerhouse this year, but so is Tampa, and we bested them. 

Looking at the shots through 2, it's just unacceptable, like how??!!? 

Right, considering it's late in the year, Buffalo has been off since  sunday, Toronto got shut out in Nashville last night and had to travel back a time zone to Buffalo and play tonight, and they worked Buffalo bad. 1000% unacceptable performance, Phil should be fired tomorrow, he stinks as coach.

• Like (+1) 1

This team sucks. Everyone can waste their breath trying to find a specific reason, but it’s not just one. 

Blame HCPH, blame the roster, blame ROR, blame Lehner, blame Ryan Miller, blame Drury and Briere leaving, blame Golisano and Pegs, blame GMTM, blame the skate in the crease. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This team sucks. Everyone can waste their breath trying to find a specific reason, but it’s not just one. 

Blame HCPH, blame the roster, blame ROR, blame Lehner, blame Ryan Miller, blame Drury and Briere leaving, blame Golisano and Pegs, blame GMTM, blame the skate in the crease. 

Well if that's the case, I'd like to blame Derek Roy.

They skated hard, unlucky bounce, incompetent D, Scandella cough, cough.... nice shot Nils.. need to move puck faster... puck on tape... puck on tape... good effort... common get rid of scandella and risto... Risto slow puck decisions kill me.... yo get yor head up an move the fin biscuit.

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

because it's been working so far?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You forgot BATTISTA!™

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Housley called the team out and said they aren't playing the system again. 

Who to blame, Eichel? 

Jack's been freelancing for a while now.

Harrington in his column today ripped Botteril for essentially forcing Housley to play Thompson and Sobotka.  Its time Bots took some blame for this disaster.  I would say it more on Botteril than Housley, after all it was Botteril who hired Housley

• Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Jack's been freelancing for a while now.

I think that's part of the reason for the Skinner goal drought.  It's reverting back to the days of Eichel-EKane when we said multiple puck hogs on a line wouldn't work.  Earlier in the season Jack made the effort to be a setup man.  His goals were down but Skinner was scoring to beat the band.  Now Jack is scoring more, albeit not at Skinner's earlier pace.  Yes, part of that might be Skinner's ankle. 

I think that's why HCPH separated them yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, freester said:

Harrington in his column today ripped Botteril for essentially forcing Housley to play Thompson and Sobotka.  Its time Bots took some blame for this disaster.  I would say it more on Botteril than Housley, after all it was Botteril who hired Housley

You still read Harrington? You find his articles worth your time?

May I ask why?

4 hours ago, nucci said:

because it's been working so far?

Pretty good. Got them  3 of their 4 best players.

This team isn't crap because of Reinhart, Eichel, Dahlin and Skinner.  Its crap because they don't have much else.

A top pick this year (with some luck with the lottery balls) will most likely another "core" piece.

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.