spndnchz

Do they win or lose?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do they win or lose?

• Sabres win
    • Sabres lose

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I would think an announcer says the name of players 150+ times a game. 95% of 150 is 142.5 correct identification. That seems like a lot of mistakes to me, but I don’t listen to enough broadcasts to compare. All I know is listening to the game in the car yesterday was difficult because of RJs announcing. However, he did sound really good, much better than the beginning of the year. 

It has to be much higher than 150. How many times a minute is a player named? Every five seconds would be 720 in a game. And I think you're right about the scale. Rick doesn't mid-ID dozens of times in a game (720 x .05=36). People are cherry-picking his relatively few mistakes. 95% might be conservative.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

It has to be much higher than 150. How many times a minute is a player named? Every five seconds would be 720 in a game. And I think you're right about the scale. Rick doesn't mid-ID dozens of times in a game (720 x .05=36). People are cherry-picking his relatively few mistakes. 95% might be conservative.

I felt like 150 was pretty low, so I think you’re right about it being closer to 720. He does seem to ID far fewer than he used to though. I think out of 1000 IDs he’s probably at 980 correct. Like I said earlier, I’m not sure how that compares to the rest of the league though. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So booing an opponent during a shootout is poor sportsmanship. 

If you were an employer and an employee came in making others around him worse and telling you your company is making him lose his love for the career, you'd be fine with it?

I fear that many don't realize how bad Mr ROR was here, at least off ice. But that's not a conversation for now and this thread. 

Anyways, I thought it was freaking awesome in that building last night, finally, and booing the everloving ***** outta ROR was a big part of it. 

+1.  Fans have had so little to cheer for in 2019 it was great to see emotion in the building during the 3rd/OT/SO.

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I felt like 150 was pretty low, so I think you’re right about it being closer to 720. He does seem to ID far fewer than he used to though. I think out of 1000 IDs he’s probably at 980 correct. Like I said earlier, I’m not sure how that compares to the rest of the league though. 

It's surely lower than Rick in his prime and it's almost certainly lower than the best of the best. Guys like Joe Beninati are remarkable.

If you want to be analytical about this, you'd have to decide if failure to call a player's name who has the puck in open ice for example is a mis-ID.

Watching the games on TV one gets to recognize each individual's skating style. Jack is unique with his upright style. I rarely confuse him with anyone else (when I can't see the number), Maybe Dahlin sometimes. Skinner and Sheary skate pretty much alike, are both shorter and sometimes you can only see the "3" on their back. Confusing them is understandable. RJ mixed up Nelson with Bogosian which I find puzzling. He also called Reinhart, O'Reilly on one rush. All in all though, he's f'n RJ and he's almost universally loved. He can sit in that seat forever if it was up to me.

• Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's surely lower than Rick in his prime and it's almost certainly lower than the best of the best. Guys like Joe Beninati are remarkable.

If you want to be analytical about this, you'd have to decide if failure to call a player's name who has the puck in open ice for example is a mis-ID.

I would say that as long as an ID is given (“Buffalo heading up the ice”), it’s not a mis-ID. As long as a picture is being painted (correctly), it doesn’t matter if it’s paint-by-numbers or a Picasso. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

By not saying anything, he said more than we need to know.

Did he say ..."i love the wings"

or

Did he say...."i hate buffalo, too many Tim Hortons"

That's not all of it though. He said "I hate Buffalo, too many Tim Hortons and they keep getting in my way".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I heard all that and Skinner for Sheary. That wasn't really my point. He sounds 1,000% better than he did. There's more energy, more oomph in his voice. He's not lost in the play nearly as much. The goal calls are better. There are stretches of play where I think it's 2001 again. The reality is that going on 77 he's going to be up and down.

I can't believe I might do this, but I might watch a period from yesterday and count his flubs. I'll stick with 95%. Of course it's gonna be Sabres only, because I know fewer of the Blues than Rick does. I'd still say his Blues IDS are very high — when he clearly doesn't know who a player is, he doesn't just take a stab at it.

P.S. I didn't record the game and the replays are done on MSG, so it'll have to be a previous game or next time.

Fancy stats, meet Mr. play by play guy!

• Haha (+1) 3

14 hours ago, SDS said:

I thought it was an entertaining game. Watched on delay and didn’t give in to skipping to the end. 

1. ROR was ok. He’s always been strong on the puck. That’s about the one thing that was remotely noticeable. That performance on a losing Sabres team would have gotten his ass chewed out by the fans. 

2. Nylander’s pass was nice. I expect most nhl players could make that pass. He looks a little like Sam did back in those early days. I’m not going to dog him. However, I haven’t seen any glimpses of high end skill: speed, skating, shot, nor hands. If someone has a highlight to point to please provide. 

3. A couple times today, and my impression is that it happens a lot, is when the other team takes the puck out of our corner, they are able to drive right in front of the net for a shot. Our player covering that spot (twice today) left the spot as the puck carrier was driving at them to try and pick up an open passing option. That don’t seem right. 

3. Regardless of his scoring drought, I love Jeff Skinner. That’s high end skill. 

4. I’m glad the fans had a good time. 

Please give examples.

How about some "fancy stats" to go along with @dudacek observations?   The first is from Hockey Viz showing the utter domination of the Conor/Evan/Alex line against Carolina.  Red being a good thing.
726084628_hockeyvizchart.thumb.JPG.2a71a02c44988069dca1ef96bb46a555.JPG

Here is their on ice stats for Carolina.   They had the best CF% and FF% of all Sabres forwards.   And Nylander wasn't on the ice for the Goal against.  Lastly note the HDCF% for this line.  Fancy stat guys always suggest these will lead to more goal scoring.  He was 7 to 1 in Carolina. 

nylander_Carolina.thumb.JPG.61986c2ad898cc31f78c84cb827651e9.JPG

Here is the on Ice stats against St. Louis.  While the numbers bear out, as does the eye test, that our first line did create a lot of scoring opportunities with a high 60%  CF,  the E-Rod line did better, as they were comparable in CF% and responsible for 2 goals 5v5 (Nylander with 2 primary assists).    In fact, looking at the HDCF%, our first line was "lucky" not to get scored against giving up twice as many chances and not generating enough.  Numbers don't lie, right?

Nylander.thumb.JPG.d78e35329f861e000c6cb53274a4a325.JPG

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

How about some "fancy stats" to go along with @dudacek observations?   The first is from Hockey Viz showing the utter domination of the Conor/Evan/Alex line against Carolina.  Red being a good thing.
726084628_hockeyvizchart.thumb.JPG.2a71a02c44988069dca1ef96bb46a555.JPG

Here is their on ice stats for Carolina.   They had the best CF% and FF% of all Sabres forwards.   And Nylander wasn't on the ice for the Goal against.  Lastly note the HDCF% for this line.  Fancy stat guys always suggest these will lead to more goal scoring.  He was 7 to 1 in Carolina. 

nylander_Carolina.thumb.JPG.61986c2ad898cc31f78c84cb827651e9.JPG

Here is the on Ice stats against St. Louis.  While the numbers bear out, as does the eye test, that our first line did create a lot of scoring opportunities with a high 60%  CF,  the E-Rod line did better, as they were comparable in CF% and responsible for 2 goals 5v5 (Nylander with 2 primary assists).    In fact, looking at the HDCF%, our first line was "lucky" not to get scored against giving up twice as many chances and not generating enough.  Numbers don't lie, right?

Nylander.thumb.JPG.d78e35329f861e000c6cb53274a4a325.JPG

I'm not a student of fancy stats, but thank you for pulling this info out for me! Greatly appreciated. I will try and make some sense of it. Glad to know there is some meat behind the praise.

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

I'm not a student of fancy stats, but thank you for pulling this info out for me! Greatly appreciated. I will try and make some sense of it. Glad to know there is some meat behind the praise.

I'm not an advanced metric guy either.  As part of the of the older generation on the board, I refrain from referencing but I was curious to see how the On Ice stats compared to what I was viewing since the Nylander call up.   I just thought that line (+ERod + Sheary) was buzzing.  I really would not be upset if they were a #3 line next year, with a new 2C (JT Miller trade?) centering Reinhart (RW)and M. Ferland  (LW) as a second forward line. 

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He basically said he lost the love of the game and more or less wanted outta here.... On a fundamental level, I get it, we sucked, he wanted to be the captain, Yada Yada. 

But that talk, is a smack in the face to us, he coulda went about it a different way, but didn't. Right or wrong. 

So he deserves to be booed, every single time he steps on buffalo ice. 

Is a buffapride thing to me 

he was tired of losing and the losing culture that is the Sabres. 

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

I'm not an advanced metric guy either.  As part of the of the older generation on the board, I refrain from referencing but I was curious to see how the On Ice stats compared to what I was viewing since the Nylander call up.   I just thought that line (+ERod + Sheary) was buzzing.  I really would not be upset if they were a #3 line next year, with a new 2C (JT Miller trade?) centering Reinhart (RW)and M. Ferland  (LW) as a second forward line. 

Rodriguez is one of the few players on the team who seems to give everything he has on every shift of every game.  He stands out in this regard. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, nucci said:

he was tired of losing and the losing culture that is the Sabres. 

So were all the other players in the locker room. Why does he get a pass over, say, Jack and Reinhardt. 

He forced his way outta here, one way or another and now I bid him good riddance.

43 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Sabres fans get upset when players speak from a script. So O'Reilly speaks his mind and he's the bad guy? Just can't win.

You’re on to something.  A mic in front of you after a loss is no-win.  Perhaps penance, as a good poster mentioned, but no satisfaction for fans.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, Kruppstahl said:

Were you expecting his colleagues in Pittsburgh to throw him under the bus?  Of course they are going to say nice things about him.

One huge flaw of Botterill's is that he has been incredibly slow, cautious, and conservative to effect change.  That risks alienating his talent including Jack Eichel, and could be a factor in Skinner going elsewhere, if he indeed does so. 

I have no idea why Eichel would want to stick around this organization much longer.

Let's not forget ROR was here for 3 years!  He took it all in and decided best to move on.  Smart man.

Actually his colleague made it clear that Pittsburgh’s Front Office was worse without Botterill and that he was able to prevent Rutherford from making stupid decisions. Look no further then trading a First Round Pick for Ryan Reaves. 

This organization is still woefully lacking in terms of NHL and Prospect Depth in addition to needing to add to the Top Six Forward Group and Top 4 Defenseman. The Blueprint put out by the Team outlined all the draft picks in the top three rounds the Sabres had over a 3-4 year period to rebuild the organization. GMTM said in many an interview that the rebuild could be accelerated and we know have that turned out. 

Botterill laid out a plan for the Pegulas that appears to include building through the draft, which most successful franchises have done and making trades with assets when it makes sense for the future of the team. It’s a long process which sucks for the players, but is even harder on the fan base which his been longing for playoff hockey.

I expect  Botterill to be more active in UFA, he will probably kick the tires on Duchene, Dzingel and maybe Hayes  but as Ryan Stimson pointed out in the Athletic, would be better off going after Joonas Donskoi or Jordan Weal. 

From various accounts Skinner loves playing in Buffalo and is much happier here than he was in Carolina, but until the contract extension is announced anything is possible. 

ROR wanted to be the guy in Colorado and then in Buffalo, when he wasn’t going to get his wish in either spot, he made it clear he wanted to move on from both situations. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Actually his colleague made it clear that Pittsburgh’s Front Office was worse without Botterill and that he was able to prevent Rutherford from making stupid decisions. Look no further then trading a First Round Pick for Ryan Reaves. 

This organization is still woefully lacking in terms of NHL and Prospect Depth in addition to needing to add to the Top Six Forward Group and Top 4 Defenseman. The Blueprint put out by the Team outlined all the draft picks in the top three rounds the Sabres had over a 3-4 year period to rebuild the organization. GMTM said in many an interview that the rebuild could be accelerated and we know have that turned out. 

Botterill laid out a plan for the Pegulas that appears to include building through the draft, which most successful franchises have done and making trades with assets when it makes sense for the future of the team. It’s a long process which sucks for the players, but is even harder on the fan base which his been longing for playoff hockey.

I expect  Botterill to be more active in UFA, he will probably kick the tires on Duchene, Dzingel and maybe Hayes  but as Ryan Stimson pointed out in the Athletic, would be better off going after Joonas Donskoi or Jordan Weal. 

From various accounts Skinner loves playing in Buffalo and is much happier here than he was in Carolina, but until the contract extension is announced anything is possible. 

ROR wanted to be the guy in Colorado and then in Buffalo, when he wasn’t going to get his wish in either spot, he made it clear he wanted to move on from both situations. 

I have been hard on some of Botterill’s personnel decisions, but I remain a believer in his plan and his leadership style.

19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Well, that's one narrative.  I'm not disputing it but has anyone close to the situation actually said as much?  I think it's just been reported, but never verified.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.