spndnchz

Do they win or lose?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do they win or lose?

• Sabres win
    • Sabres lose

This poll is closed to new votes

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is was just watching the highlights.  How was that not goaltender interference on the Schenn goal?

I thought it was, but I guess they figured he was already down and out and wouldn't have gotten back even if nobody touched him, and they might be right. 

I'm still trying to figure out what E-Rod's penalty was for but whatever, we won and it was fun to watch. 

11 hours ago, SDS said:

I thought it was an entertaining game. Watched on delay and didn’t give in to skipping to the end. 

1. ROR was ok. He’s always been strong on the puck. That’s about the one thing that was remotely noticeable. That performance on a losing Sabres team would have gotten his ass chewed out by the fans. 

2. Nylander’s pass was nice. I expect most nhl players could make that pass. He looks a little like Sam did back in those early days. I’m not going to dog him. However, I haven’t seen any glimpses of high end skill: speed, skating, shot, nor hands. If someone has a highlight to point to please provide. 

3. A couple times today, and my impression is that it happens a lot, is when the other team takes the puck out of our corner, they are able to drive right in front of the net for a shot. Our player covering that spot (twice today) left the spot as the puck carrier was driving at them to try and pick up an open passing option. That don’t seem right. 

3. Regardless of his scoring drought, I love Jeff Skinner. That’s high end skill. 

4. I’m glad the fans had a good time. 

Please give examples.

Re: Nylander’s pass. I’d dont know that many NHL players execute that play as well as he did. I’ve seen Sabres blow that many times this year. I’m sure the skills coaches could use that  as a technique clip. Every nuance was perfect.

He broke into the lane, received the pass in stride and hit the boosters to create separation from the back checker. Then he moderated his speed just enough to maximize the time he had to make a play between the checkers. Everything about his shoulders and body said shot; that’s wny the D dropped, that’s why Allen had to stay at home, then overpush. And the body control of the pass was beautifully executed, the blade perfectly perpendicular to the spot Sheary was skating into. The pass itself was hard but flat and right on the tape and again hit Sheary in his wheelhouse.

I don’t think any forward other than Eichel makes that play as cleanly as Nylander. Sam has the finesse but not the speed.

I think that even if Nylander makes it, we’re going to always be frustrated because he’s never going to play a type A game. He’s shown some improvement in his engagement (particularly skating hard on the backcheck and the forecheck) but he’s always going to be a support guy that looks for space and makes his living off the give and go.

But his positional play has been good and there is  NHL skill there. He sees the game well and has the skill to take advantage. Still not sure if he has the will. 

Edited by dudacek

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I enjoyed tonight. I'm still super pumped about getting the signed Dahlin Puck!! 

Game notes, Jack was not good, he again shied away from contact, and whined a lot.... Man up buddy 

KO, Larsson, Z, all played with an edge all game, it was nice to see. 

Casey, it was a rough game for him, and honestly he is just not ready for the NHL, neither is Tage, they may be good, but they need some serious seasoning. 

Erod and Skinner play a very similar game and I enjoy them, Erod is a vital part of this team going forward. 

Risto is a hockey idiot 

The officials were straight up terrible tonight. 

Sobotka, Tage and Casey cannot play defense at all, I cringe when the other team has the Puck in our zone. 

That 3rd was a thing of beauty, if we played anywhere near that every game and still went 3-7 we'd be a much more complacent fan base, please bottle whatever that was and use it every game.

It was nice to see ROR get the solid boos he deserved and then lose it, epic, he didn't hit the net, but if it was a Tim Hortons, he would have. 

why did O'Reilly deserve to be booed?

44 minutes ago, nucci said:

He basically said he lost the love of the game and more or less wanted outta here.... On a fundamental level, I get it, we sucked, he wanted to be the captain, Yada Yada. 

But that talk, is a smack in the face to us, he coulda went about it a different way, but didn't. Right or wrong. 

So he deserves to be booed, every single time he steps on buffalo ice. 

Is a buffapride thing to me 

• Like (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
23 minutes ago, Radar said:

Buffalo pride? More like poor sportsmanship. He was traded he didn't say anything about Buffalo. Although fans have now given him reason. 

So booing an opponent during a shootout is poor sportsmanship. 

If you were an employer and an employee came in making others around him worse and telling you your company is making him lose his love for the career, you'd be fine with it?

I fear that many don't realize how bad Mr ROR was here, at least off ice. But that's not a conversation for now and this thread. 

Anyways, I thought it was freaking awesome in that building last night, finally, and booing the everloving ***** outta ROR was a big part of it. 

I personally never boo an ex player. I think it’s petty, and lame. I also never boo star players every freaking time they touch the puck. But to each his own ...

In the first minute or two of the game, the Sabres did acknowledge O’Reilly and welcomed him back to Buffalo and there was a warm reception of cheees and claps for him.

32 minutes ago, Radar said:

Buffalo pride? More like poor sportsmanship. He was traded he didn't say anything about Buffalo. Although fans have now given him reason. 

Should the home crowd have cheered ROR during the shoot out?

Should they have felt empathy for him that being on a losing team for several seasons had an effect on his psyche and he let it be known to them the last time he talked to them?  Should they, then, have instead wept for him during his shoot out attempt?

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned. Even if said scorner did little wrong and is genuinely a nice guy. ***** that guy, he's the enemy now because if you ain't with us, you against us. We heinous cuz we *****. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Does the home environment mean something or nothing?  Does the crowd booing the enemy team help to throw off the shooter's concentration, even just a little?  Is that not helping your team, even just a little? 

Or should we be nice and inclusive and cheer all shooters, because everyone deserves to win, no matter what team they are on?

In ROR's case, should we submit to the heavy emotions surrounding his departure?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Every opposing player should be boo’d during the shootout. But there’s no need to boo ROR during his welcome back from the PA or when he’s touching the puck. Like others have said, he didn’t say anything negative about Buffalo. 

I didn't hear many boos during the welcome back, and he wasn't overly booed during the game, but the noise in that place during the shootout.... Amazing 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Every opposing player should be boo’d during the shootout. But there’s no need to boo ROR during his welcome back from the PA or when he’s touching the puck. Like others have said, he didn’t say anything negative about Buffalo. 

By not saying anything, he said more than we need to know.

Did he say ..."i love the wings"

or

Did he say...."i hate buffalo, too many Tim Hortons"

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SDS said:

He referred to Reinhart as ROR multiple times on a rush, as well as misidentifying a slew of players during the game. It was Van Milleresque. 

He's nowhere near "and Kelly is sacked and fumbles... and it's intercepted!" Not even close. Care to guess what percentage of players he identified correctly? It's probably north of 95%. Hockey's so tough. And Rick has no team of spotters to tell him who is who. Anyway, I wrote "better." Not perfect.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's probably north of 95%.

I'd take that bet.  Look at the highlight reel when Sheary rang it off the post and RJ called him Skinner. I think RJ's losing it fast.  Love the guy, but he ain't what he used to be, not even close.

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I didn't hear many boos during the welcome back, and he wasn't overly booed during the game, but the noise in that place during the shootout.... Amazing 

I wasn’t able to watch during the welcome back, but I thought I saw on here that it was pretty mixed. Agreed on the reaction during the shootout though. Good to see the arena can still rock 

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He's nowhere near "and Kelly is sacked and fumbles... and it's intercepted!" Not even close. Care to guess what percentage of players he identified correctly? It's probably north of 95%. Hockey's so tough. And Rick has no team of spotters to tell him who is who. Anyway, I wrote "better." Not perfect.

Guy is old. Still like him more than that homer Jack Edwards. I don’t why but I get annoyed when Huberdeau scores and the Florida announcer yells “hooby dooby doo”. 

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Considering how often an announcer mentions a players name, is 95% even impressive?

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Guy is old. Still like him more than that homer Jack Edwards. I don’t why but I get annoyed when Huberdeau scores and the Florida announcer yells “hooby dooby doo”. 

Everyone should like everyone more than they like Jack Edwards. 

40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I certainly wasn't keeping score on RJ and I'm not arguing your point, but he pulled me out of the game a few times last night with players being called that should never be confused.

He called Nylander Montour multiple times last night. 62/92 sure but the forward/defence thing?

Then he called Montour Bogosian for an entire shift. With the beard and the size and the number? Hell, Bogo was even playing the left side.

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I certainly wasn't keeping score on RJ and I'm not arguing your point, but he pulled me out of the game a few times last night with players being called that should never be confused.

He called Nylander Montour multiple times last night. 62/92 sure but the forward/defence thing?

Then he called Montour Bogosian for an entire shift. With the beard and the size and the number? Hell, Bogo was even playing the left side.

I heard all that and Skinner for Sheary. That wasn't really my point. He sounds 1,000% better than he did. There's more energy, more oomph in his voice. He's not lost in the play nearly as much. The goal calls are better. There are stretches of play where I think it's 2001 again. The reality is that going on 77 he's going to be up and down.

I can't believe I might do this, but I might watch a period from yesterday and count his flubs. I'll stick with 95%. Of course it's gonna be Sabres only, because I know fewer of the Blues than Rick does. I'd still say his Blues IDS are very high — when he clearly doesn't know who a player is, he doesn't just take a stab at it.

P.S. I didn't record the game and the replays are done on MSG, so it'll have to be a previous game or next time.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure what you're saying.

I would think an announcer says the name of players 150+ times a game. 95% of 150 is 142.5 correct identification. That seems like a lot of mistakes to me, but I don’t listen to enough broadcasts to compare. All I know is listening to the game in the car yesterday was difficult because of RJs announcing. However, he did sound really good, much better than the beginning of the year. 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I heard all that and Skinner for Sheary. That wasn't really my point. He sounds 1,000% better than he did. There's more energy, more oomph in his voice. He's not lost in the play nearly as much. The goal calls are better. There are stretches of play where I think it's 2001 again. The reality is that going on 77 he's going to be up and down.

I can't believe I might do this, but I might watch a period from yesterday and count his flubs. I'll stick with 95%. Of course it's gonna be Sabres only, because I know fewer of the Blues than Rick does. I'd still say his Blues IDS are very high — when he clearly doesn't know who a player is, he doesn't just take a stab at it.

I agree with all of this. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.