GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes 3-16-19 7 PM

spndnchz

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Because it doesn't matter, and scoring and winning now don't carry over to October, I disagree. I think it's pretty damn cool, to go four games without a goal. Hell, let's set the modern record. Something that shocking would focus the issues at hand quite sharply, and I think we need that. A nail in the coffin, perhaps. Fail now for future gain. Y'all like that, right?

No you’re right the last two times the Sabres ended the season on hot streaks were so beneficial the following season. 

In the lockout shortened year of 2013 the Sabres entered the final month of the season in a bottom three teams of the league, but gosh darn it those boys played their hearts out over those 12 remaining games and went 8-4!! 

How did that team build on it in the next season you ask? Well their GM said there would be suffering at his end of the season press conference and the 2013-14 Sabres finished with a whopping 52 points good for 30th Place. 

Now the 2015-16 Sabres were a completely different team, they had their Centers in Eichel and ROR, their wingers in Kane and Reinhart and the Coach to lead them to the promise land in Disco Dan! That team played the final portion of the season at a playoff pace, setting them up for success. 

That success lead to both the Coach and the GM being fired the next year. 

By the way the end of the 2013 Season dropped them from a Top 4 Pick to 8th.  Anyone see any players in the Top 6 that could have helped the present team more than Risto? 

40968DB1-3DFD-44E6-816E-CA1D12BDB80F.png

I would have been perfectly happy with a heroic run to 9th this year, however I fully realize that it might mean nothing in terms of the next season. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

By the way the end of the 2013 Season dropped them from a Top 4 Pick to 8th.  Anyone see any players in the Top 6 that could have helped the present team more than Risto? 

My memory is that there's a video of the Sabre's draft room where they were very worried that the Predators were taking Risto at 4, meaning the Sabres would have taken Risto at 4. Not sure about 1, 2, or 3.

1 hour ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

Watch skinner sign with Canes during off season tat would be the ulitimate killer to a terrible seaso 

I hope not if for no reason other than a decade of what if threads (Drury/Briere). ?

Seriously though I think that’s one team he would say no to. The guy waived his no move to go to Buffalo to get out of there. Might as well have put Vaseline on his pimp hand and then smacked their owner in the face.

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Serious question. What do you want him say? What words would make you happy?

Oh SDS I jest, I realize there is nothing he can say that's going to take away the disappointing feelings from both the fans and players alike.

I don't normally point fingers at the coach or GM, but in this seasons case, given it's now year 2 of this GM/Coach regime and things have actually remained status quo, I definitely have serious reservations about either's ability in their respective positions. While I realize the mess Murray left, the returns on jettisoning some talent from here(i.e. Kane and ROR) is highly questionable, and the players brought in as roster filler are equally highly questionable.

As for the coaching, this Carolina game is an excellent example, actually, text book example of the differences in coaching strategy/coaching ability. The Cane's if you notice played a high pressure the puck carrier, tight body checking game against the Sabres, which has been well established NHL wide as how to defeat this Sabres team. Smother them and they make mistakes, terrible mistakes. Now, the coach should be able to devise a strategy whereby that counter move by other coaches can be countered and give some fluidity to the Sabres game. After all, these players on the Sabres all can't be AHL fodder. And yet, we see the same coaching strategies from Housley game after game.

So when you ask what I expect him to say, what would make me happy? In all seriousness, honesty, either about his lack of abilities to compensate for league wide set strategies against his players or call out the players themselves in harsh, abrasive truth's about their unwillingness or are unable to implement counter strategies to find stability.

Trots would have no problem doing this. And he's a fairly successful coach.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about Monaghan and Horvat?

I'm fairly certain he was being facetious.  All of those players on that screen are better than Risto. Considerably so.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I think he’ll be fired before the 1st round of the playoffs begin.

This sounds more like your desire rather than what Botteril is actually thinking. 

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm fairly certain he was being facetious.  All of those players on that screen are better than Risto. Considerably so.

This sounds more like your desire rather than what Botteril is actually thinking. 

Well, considering no one on this board knows what he’s thinking... it’s all a guessing game right now by everyone. Right? And if you take JBs public media comments as “proof” of what he’s truly thinking, then that’s on you. I don’t believe what he says to the media and what he thinks privately are the same thing. GMs rarely show their hand to the public at large. Especially on big decisions.

until it doesn’t happen, my personal opinion is that he will be fired before the playoffs begin. I’m certain it will happen. JB ... prove me wrong. And I’ll own being wrong. 

Edited by Zamboni

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Well, considering no one on this board knows what he’s thinking... it’s all a guessing game right now by everyone. Right? And if you take JBs public media comments as “proof” of what he’s truly thinking, then that’s on you. I don’t believe what he says to the media and what he thinks privately are the same thing. GMs rarely show their hand to the public at large. Especially on big decisions.

until it doesn’t happen, my personal opinion is that he will be fired before the playoffs begin. I’m certain it will happen. JB ... prove me wrong. And I’ll own being wrong. 

I don't believe anything anyone tell me about anything, especially on this message board. Thanks for the lesson on how to interpret front office people speak. I feel so enlightened. 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

If you don't realize your part in this discussion has been less than considerate, that's on you. 

Point it out. Please. I didn’t think I was. Just offering my opinions that you may disagree with doesn’t mean I’ve not been considerate.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

For what it's worth, Chris "Bulldog" Parker on WGR-550 has slowly moved to this position as well in recent days.  He and Schopp both have been thinking Housley will be spared for a long time now...but in the last few days, Bulldog has moved to the position that he can't see how Housley can survive this mess.

I think he said something pretty close to: "I think it's inevitable now that Botterill has to fire Housley when the season ends."

12 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ok so I just watched the highlights and Wtf was ullmark doing, wow, that was atrocious goaltending. 

It appeared the Sabres had chances and were in the game, ouch 

We actually out Corsied Carolina last night!  That happens very, very rarely with this team.

Really solid goaltending and maybe we win that one.  Our goaltending has been terrible and it's a big part of our troubles, but by no means the sole factor.  There is no piece of this organization immune from criticism or guilt!

Hell, I blame Sabretooth for some of our woes! 

Edited by Kruppstahl

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

For what it's worth, Chris "Bulldog" Parker on WGR-550 has slowly moved to this position as well in recent days.  He and Schopp both have been thinking Housley will be spared for a long time now...but in the last few days, Bulldog has moved to the position that he can't see how Housley can survive this mess.

I think he said something pretty close to: "I think it's inevitable now that Botterill has to fire Housley when the season ends."

I don’t listen to that hot mess otherwise known as shopp and the bulldog, but I will have to agree with that mindset. No way Phil survives. And IF JB wants to be loyal to Phil (I don’t think he will be) he’ll be gone too.

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

We actually out Corsied Carolina last night!  That happens very, very rarely with this team.

Really solid goaltending and maybe we win that one.  Our goaltending has been terrible and it's a big part of our trouble, but by no means the sole factor.  There is no piece of this organization immune from criticism or guilt!

Hell, I blame Sabretooth for some of our woes! 

Sabretooth has lost velocity on his T shirt tosses, and should be bought out at seasons end. 

Hopefully tonight we get some luck, but then again, I don't care much ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

I don’t listen to that hot mess otherwise known as shopp and the bulldog, but I will have to agree with that mindset. No way Phil survives. And IF JB wants to be loyal to Phil (I don’t think he will be) he’ll be gone too.

I love them, particularly Schopp.  He is the only consistently objective, critical voice of both the Bills and Sabres you will find in the local media.  He's great. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.