GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes 3-16-19 7 PM

spndnchz

I still love this team but they are making it veeeeeeeeeery hard to do so this year.  I'm not a bandwagoneer.  But I will say, when Makers Mark Wisky goes on sale, I have been buying more than one bottle.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Can't wait for Housley to say in the post game they were in it to the end, he was impressed with the teams improvement, it's hard to score goals in this league, they need to learn to play defense...………...etc......etc...……..

Serious question. What do you want him say? What words would make you happy?

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Serious question. What do you want him say? What words would make you happy?

"We've talked about checking detail, puck management since September.  They know what to do.  It's not a matter of can't do, it's a matter of won't do.  They need to execute the game plan as directed.  They're professionals and this is their livelihood.  They are letting down their teammates and their fans.  Those that want to execute the game plan will play, those that don't want to will not.  No exceptions.  We will play with desperation, we will play with desire, and we will play with heart.  Anything less will not be tolerated and it starts tomorrow against the Blues."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tondas said:

No exceptions.  We will play with desperation, we will play with desire, and we will play with heart.  Anything less will not be tolerated and it starts tomorrow against the Blues."

...and then the team comes out flat against the Blues and put up an L.  Then what?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Jack has had his soul sucked out by this organization 

I think he's a bigger man than that.  These are formative years.  All his life he's won, he's been the best player out there.  Now he faces adversity.  He's realizing that at this level, everyone is as good as him, some better, some close.  When the team improves this will be what he remembers when he makes motivational speeches to the team as one of those veterans we're always talking about.  I had that feeling last year, that the organization is sucking his soul out.  This year is different.  He's steeling himself.  His soul is being forged on the anvil of these losses, but in the end he will prove to be one of the greatest Sabres ever.  He will hoist the Cup with this team, I really believe that.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh ya, forgot to mention, has anyone counted how many soft goals Ullmark has let in near the post? It's got to be a LOT. 

Yes, I've mentioned it before.  One of the questions to him was if he knew what he had to work on, and he said if he knew, he'd be working on it.  That answer disappointed me greatly.  It's a fundamental aspect of the game, and if his technique is not at an NHL level which results to date suggest, he should be working on it every practice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

...and then the team comes out flat against the Blues and put up an L.  Then what?

Ice time is a meritocracy.  I review the tape and make lineup decisions.  Why did Wilson sit tonight?  He is an example of hard work and desire.  The Sabres need that in spades.  18 players play out of 21.  The worst 3 sit the next game whoever they are.  Sobotka has played too much.  Tage has played too much.  Kyle has played too much.  Pommers has played too much.  Scandella has played too much.  Too much veteran preference.  The best 18 play.  I'm not saying this is the way to run a team throughout the season, but @SDS asked what should PH say tonight.  What I know from experience is that when my job is on the line, which PH's is, if I'm going to get canned, I'm going to go down doing it my way so I don't have any regrets if it doesn't work out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tondas said:

What I know from experience is that when my job is on the line, which PH's is, if I'm going to get canned, I'm going to go down doing it my way so I don't have any regrets if it doesn't work out.

Don't you get it?  Phil *is* doing it his way.  That's why he will get canned.

• Like (+1) 1

Missed another bad loss.  This Florida trip was timely.  At least Skinner got one.  Hopefully we can beat the Blues at home,  

Blues are another team that has dominated us.   This once proud franchise is really hurting.  I see the Bills showing signs of progress but the Sabres continue to wallow with the bottom feeders.   Promising start is down the drain.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This stuff is getting really hard to watch. Might have to stop for the rest of this season.

Watching Nelson in his fight (?) with Ferland it makes sense now why he didn't do anything to Zadorov.  Guy is softer than a twinkie. 

Also thinking I'd rather have the first than Montour. Guy has some offensive skill, but his D game is turrible.

is it possible we are actually WORSE than last year? I'm starting to wonder.

Glad to see others are tuning into this; I've been bitching about this since the trade.

I thought we came out like gangbusters for the first 12 minutes or so of the game.  We were buzzing, attacking, skating, shooting....we got one goal, Skinner cranked one off the pipe for what easily could have been his second...we had 2 or 3 other great scoring chances too.

And then, being pleased with what we had done, we stopped!  FF a while and it's 4-1 Carolina.

Zemgus gets a lucky one in garbage time and that's that...

My dream of seeing us lose on home ice to Toronto next week for our NINTH LOSS IN A ROW grows closer! 

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?!

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, I've mentioned it before.  One of the questions to him was if he knew what he had to work on, and he said if he knew, he'd be working on it.  That answer disappointed me greatly.  It's a fundamental aspect of the game, and if his technique is not at an NHL level which results to date suggest, he should be working on it every practice.

That is kind of weird as it's obvious that he lacks in fundamentals (and perhaps at times focus). Perhaps we need a better goalie coach. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.