3 shut outs in a row? That's a trend!

StuckinFL

30 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

I mean this is just sad. We are absolutely pathetic. We fold at the slightest amount of pressure and we absolutely cannot score right now. How much longer can this go on before people start getting pink slips?

Probably quite a long time! 

This is the Sabres we are talking about.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Howard Simon tweeted the Sabres now passed the 3 game shutout stretch of 180 minutes set last year, which prior to tonight was the only time the Sabres had been shutout in 3 straight games, thereby also making it the franchise record for longest goal drought.  Well tonight we cruised right past it and now stand at 197 minutes...

This team continues to find stunning new ways to be abysmal...that's pretty much the only thing they have succeeded in routinely over the past 8 years.

5 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

I mean this is just sad. We are absolutely pathetic. We fold at the slightest amount of pressure and we absolutely cannot score right now. How much longer can this go on before people start getting pink slips?

Not too many games left so they will just play it out as is. Maybe some changes will come in the summer.

Housley has to go... He has no impact with this bunch... Nice guy, but the players don’t play for him... Kim Pegala needs to hire a Coach who is a no-nonsense hockey man... A Coach who will not make excuses for his team when they fail to show up... Start sending some of the overpaid, under-performing veterans down to Rochester for a few months... 

Edited by Believer
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Maybe Botterill should swap rosters with the Americans... Clean sweep... Those AHL kids know how to shoot and win... Would be a lot more entertaining than the current bunch... Sure, they would get beaten most games... but at least they would care enough to show up... and fans would cheer them on...

4 hours ago, Believer said:

Housley has to go... He has no impact with this bunch... Nice guy, but the players don’t play for him... Kim Pegala needs to hire a Coach who is a no-nonsense hockey man... A Coach who will not make excuses for his team when they fail to show up... Start sending some of the overpaid, under-performing veterans down to Rochester for a few months... 

Are you kidding?  1 way contracts make it rather difficult to send guys down to Rochester.

Guaranteed contracts remove fear as a motivator for the players nowadays.

There is almost nothing a coach can do to enforce discipline on the team, other than reduce ice time, or sit a player out.

But even then, there is enormous pressure to play certain guys and they can't all be benched, all the time.

It's the nature of the NHL in the 21st century.

It has to change come the next CBA; ownership needs to figure out a way to eliminate guaranteed contracts and if they have to miss another season of hockey, so be it.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

We couldn't score last year, or the year before, so what did you expect without Eichel in the lineup? We were a one line hockey team and now we are a no line hockey team. That "kid line" should be renamed the "disppointment line."

Other teams score with a much worse roster. We constantly lose positionally and have to hit from afar. We need another tactic

IIRC, I believe only 11 teams since 2000 have been shut out 3 games in a row, last years Sabres were one of them.

The only team to be shut out 4 in a row was the first year for the California seals in the late 60s? And the longest streak being shut out ever was 8 games by the 1928-29 Blackhawks.

So looking at this, we should be good for a goal on Saturday!

Atleast this team is better then last years......

Housley has to go... He has no impact with this bunch... Nice guy, but the players don’t play for him... Kim Pegala needs to hire a Coach

I read the last line of that as, "Kim Pegula needs to be the Coach."

I must admit.  I was intrigued.

and fans would cheer them on... 

For about a game and a half.  Then they'd turn on them, too.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Are you kidding?  1 way contracts make it rather difficult to send guys down to Rochester.

Guaranteed contracts remove fear as a motivator for the players nowadays.

There is almost nothing a coach can do to enforce discipline on the team, other than reduce ice time, or sit a player out.

But even then, there is enormous pressure to play certain guys and they can't all be benched, all the time.

It's the nature of the NHL in the 21st century.

It has to change come the next CBA; ownership needs to figure out a way to eliminate guaranteed contracts and if they have to miss another season of hockey, so be it.

other teams are successful with players on guaranteed contracts

6 hours ago, Berg said:

Other teams score with a much worse roster. We constantly lose positionally and have to hit from afar. We need another tactic

We do not have to hit from afar, they choose to make that shot. Skinner is the only player on this team that drives to the net with the puck. Eichel and Skinner can play hockey. Sometimes Reinhart plays hockey. The rest of our forwards are dogshit. 

House said he was happy with the effort after the 2nd shutout. Not sure if his spirits were still up after the third but I doubt he chewed anyone a new asss in that room. Just once I'd like to see him do some actual coaching. You know, lean over someones shoulder and get in their ear. Chewing his gum more rigorously is about it. And I like the guy. I'd hate to see anyone lose their job. I really want this to work out for the guy but I have my doubts. If they get shut out a fourth time I'm not liking his odds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.