Who are the Sabres' leaders

sweetlou

Interesting conversation on Instigators this morning...so who in the locker is there to hold other players accountable. I believe Okposo and Hutton are the only vets willing to step up and say something. Their play on the ice has diminished and productivity has slipped lending to their voice not having much power any more.

Larssonand Sobotka to me are still  bums and need to go.

Girgensons shows signs of being a solid 4th liner, but not much else.

Wilson I believe can be a voice that can demand respect because he plays every shift hard and is fearless.

ERod plays hard but is soft on the body.

Sheary hustles but sometimes puts himself out of position.

Tage and Mitts show flashes but are too inconsistent to be in the NHL right now.

Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, and Pomminstein are who we expect them to be.

Risto plays the body well on rushes and after the whistle but is often out of place in the defensive zone.

Bogo and McCabe are solid but get hurt because no one else sacrifices their body like them

Scandella is soft, doesn't tie up players or play the body.

Montour and Hunwick seem solid but haven't seen enough to judge.

Nelson plays positionally well defensively but also does not play physical.

UFA options-

another physical stay at home d- replace Scandella. (MCQuaid would be an interesting 1 year 2 million idea)

Need another veteran grinder for 4th line. (Tanev for 2 years at 3 million AAV)

Physical RW to play with Jack. ( I would overpay Simmonds on a 3 year 6 million AAV, or Ferland on a 5 year 5 million AAV)

I have no idea who steps up and says things in the locker room with the door closed.  I'm not in there.

I think BOGO is considered a leader of the team, by the team itself.

I bet Eichel steps up and talks from time to time, though he's obviously not a veteran with the weight that can bring.

Who holds others accountable is an interesting point.  It assumes you are a veteran, have been around the block a while, are talented, and have some history of success.  Those are the things that give weight to your voice.

We straight up have no one on the roster who fits that description.

EDIT:  Pommenville probably comes as close as anyone on this roster to being "the guy" to hold others accountable.  Of course, we all know him well and he is not a very vocal guy.  Although you can demonstrate leadership without being vocal.

Edited by Kruppstahl

19 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

though he's obviously not a veteran

At what point do you stop saying that about Eichel?  He's in his fourth season, hitting the prime years of his career.  Guys older than him may think he's a "kid" but they have to concede he's a dominating presence on the team.

I don't think it's as obvious as you think.

And I don't agree with your assertion about Pominville either.  I'm not sure why you even go there after you start your post with "I have no idea who steps up and says things in the locker room with the door closed.  I'm not in there."

Edited by Doohickie

Eichel is without a doubt the player the others look to. He’s probably still growing into that role.

I listened to the Intigators as well, and what I got out of that is there is a lack of leadership from rank and file -Mike Grier types.

Youve basically got Hutton, Bogosian and Okposo. Maybe Scandella? Wilson, Hunwick and Montour aren’t established in the room. Sheary, Sobotka, Larry, Girgs, Pommers all seem like quiet guys who won’t get in others faces. Thompson, Dahlin, Mittelstadt Ullmark and Nelson are still finding their place in the league.

That leaves a void that Skinner, Risto, Reino and McCabe should be filling.  Like Eichel, none of those guys have really been that guy before at the NHL level and growing into that is probably one of the things the brain trust was hoping to see this year.

Maybe it’s something Botterill has seen that we can’t?

Edited by dudacek

On 3/14/2019 at 3:27 PM, sweetlou said:

Interesting conversation on Instigators this morning...so who in the locker is there to hold other players accountable. I believe Okposo and Hutton are the only vets willing to step up and say something. Their play on the ice has diminished and productivity has slipped lending to their voice not having much power any more.

Larssonand Sobotka to me are still  bums and need to go.

Girgensons shows signs of being a solid 4th liner, but not much else.

Wilson I believe can be a voice that can demand respect because he plays every shift hard and is fearless.

ERod plays hard but is soft on the body.

Sheary hustles but sometimes puts himself out of position.

Tage and Mitts show flashes but are too inconsistent to be in the NHL right now.

Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, and Pomminstein are who we expect them to be.

Risto plays the body well on rushes and after the whistle but is often out of place in the defensive zone.

Bogo and McCabe are solid but get hurt because no one else sacrifices their body like them

Scandella is soft, doesn't tie up players or play the body.

Montour and Hunwick seem solid but haven't seen enough to judge.

Nelson plays positionally well defensively but also does not play physical.

UFA options-

another physical stay at home d- replace Scandella. (MCQuaid would be an interesting 1 year 2 million idea)

Need another veteran grinder for 4th line. (Tanev for 2 years at 3 million AAV)

Physical RW to play with Jack. ( I would overpay Simmonds on a 3 year 6 million AAV, or Ferland on a 5 year 5 million AAV)

Throw Bogosian, Scandella, WIlson and Hunwick in with Larsson and Sobotka...Hutton too.

I can't stand any of them, and I can't wait until they are replaced...they're not good enough.

On good teams, Bogosian and Scandella would be 6th/7th defensemen...Wilson, Hunwick, Larsson and Sobotka would be in the AHL, or depth players that sat in the pressbox at best. (Hutton would be nothing more than a backup.)

EDIT: Throw Okposo in that group too.

Edited by OhMyDahlin

On 3/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, Jacque Richard said:

Probably the skate sharpeners

I know you're joking, but I sometimes wonder about the role the trainers and equipment guys play behind the scenes. Probably more than we know or imagine. I remain somewhat surprised that a new coach doesn't bring in his own staff.

58 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I know you're joking, but I sometimes wonder about the role the trainers and equipment guys play behind the scenes. Probably more than we know or imagine. I remain somewhat surprised that a new coach doesn't bring in his own staff.

I’ve noticed on several occasions throughout the year Ullmark’s skates seeming dull when looking to make cross-crease movements. It’s as if he’s not getting any bite and not able to put any force into his push, causing him to double pump. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.