GDT - Penguins @ Sabres - March 14, 2019 - 7:00 PM EDT - MSG-B; SN; ATTSN-PT

Sabres Fan in NS

1 minute ago, freester said:

I’d settle for good players instead of trash.  We have so much garbage on our lineup it’s absurd. Sobotka and Okposo are just as bad as Moulson. Thompson also plays a lot of minutes. He belongs in the AHL. 

Don't you wonder why a guy like Tage (with his size) isn't asked to park in front of the opposing goalie? I mean, that's not even rocket science, it's coaching 101, yet we never see him do that. i seriously believe that is on Phil  DeSmith literally had no one in his face the entire night and they haven't done this for the past few games. It is incredibly noticeable. I'm not sure why Okposo has lost his ability to put the puck in the net (I believe he still can as can Pominville- slow or not) Something is seriously amiss in Phil's coaching.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, eman said:

Listen, if this GM manages to fire Phil and get a coach like Quenneville or even Guy Boucher and the club doesn't improve under them, I'll concede that maybe we are talent poor. But I am convinced our problems the past few seasons have been entirely coaching related. I know I am beating this to death but to me, it just seems obvious. Garbage effort results in no one benched with any seniority in this league, screening opposing goalies doesn't seem to be part of the game plan (unless Samson does it- some times) I believe the club is a reflection of its coach (or coaches in our case) Another ex-Sabre stoned ROR and the Blues tonight just as an FYI. His name? Anders Nilsson- stood on his head for Ottawa in a 2-0 shutout win.

I agree. I think they have some decent players but this team lacks quality coaching. They need someone that is tough on these guys.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I agree. I think they have some decent players but this team lacks quality coaching. They need someone that is tough on these guys.

and teaches some structure. The D is a complete mess right now. There is talent here (again- once they leave and do well elsewhere, we all post why they couldn't do that when they were here)

• Like (+1) 1

Just a thought, with no defense or criticism of players or coaches in mind ..

It must be brutal to be in a situation where you have to answer unanswerable questions with a microphone in your face night after night.   I share many of your collective thoughts on the hockey situation.  I cut the interviewee some slack in that role.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Neo said:

It must be brutal to be in a situation where you have to answer unanswerable questions with a microphone in your face night after night.   I share many of your collective thoughts on the hockey situation.  I cut the interviewee some slack in that role.

A thousand times yes. Just lock the locker room door. 

Great game!   LOL

The Malkin v. Larsson heavyweight bout was something I've never seen before.

2 players dropped their gloves, actually began to fight, sort of, and then both just mutually stopped fighting with no interference from the linesmen. 

Had 1 or both of them kept their gloves on, sure, nothing new there.  

But they dropped the gloves!  I've never seen that.

PS:  Listening to Pommenville post game interview now; he seems to be throwing the team under the bus.  He said pre-game preparation was fine; Xs and Os only take you so far; the game is about who wants it more, fighting for the puck....

He's basically saying don't put this one on the coach, this team just sucks.

5 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Everyone is fired up about this trade, but we won't know the outcome for another 3-4 years.  Let's see how O'Reilly ages at that cap number.  And see how both the draft picks and cap flexibility play out. 

In terms of the worst sabres trades, this probably isn't even top 5.  But that's a fun rabbit hole to run down. 

And last...the other point regarding O'Reilly is that age matters given the teams regression. If dahlin is our cornerstone, he needed to be traded. 

Huh?  Need to wait 3 to 4 year?  No we don't.  ROR is a known commodity in this league; he has a roster spot on the Canadian national Olympic team.  We got nothing in exchange for him; we already know that.  

Well, we might hit on a very late 1st round pick; that's our only hope for getting anything back the other way.

By the way, name 5 worse trades in Sabres history, since there have been so many....

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

That’s their penance for sucking. Don’t suck and it won’t be brutal. Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, eman said:

Don't you wonder why a guy like Tage (with his size) isn't asked to park in front of the opposing goalie?

cause Tage, like almost everyone on this team is SOFT.

I was pretty sure we would lose this game but we've lost our will to live. We aren't fast anymore. We are soft. We have zero compete. The team has given up on the season that is for sure. Slow like last year now. Disappointing to see. definitely not fun to watch. rest of this season is just going to be painful.

I was disappointed Nelson was already back. Sits for 1 game only. Less than Eichel's suspension. This sends no message at all. 

And then you have the Malkin/Larsson almost fight. Malkin's much bigger and Larsson clearly wanted no part of it and there's Hunwick just standing there probably thinking he has more allegiance to the old Pens than he does to his current team mates. Damn we have a sad sack lot of useless nobodies.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Everyone is fired up about this trade, but we won't know the outcome for another 3-4 years.  Let's see how O'Reilly ages at that cap number.  And see how both the draft picks and cap flexibility play out. 

In terms of the worst sabres trades, this probably isn't even top 5.  But that's a fun rabbit hole to run down. 

And last...the other point regarding O'Reilly is that age matters given the teams regression. If dahlin is our cornerstone, he needed to be traded. 

Ok let’s hear 5 worse trades in Sabres history.  I’m not sure it’s fair to count Hasek and trades done because the owner didn’t want to spend money 

6 minutes ago, freester said:

Ok let’s hear 5 worse trades in Sabres history.  I’m not sure it’s fair to count Hasek and trades done because the owner didn’t want to spend money 

Ha...so we need to eliminate the first 40 years of team history where finances were an issue? 

Hasek to red wings

Kane/Bogo

Fuhr to buffalo 

Lehner/Legwand

Peca while holding out

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have just one question for all the people going on and on about the ROR trade..............what did we win when he was here?

Because it’s about adding.  Add Skinner, Sheary, Dahlin, Monty, plus ROR.  Now you are getting closer.  But of course this team has no use for a top faceoff man, a great 2nd C who is responsible defensively and can put up 70 plus points.  We DONT NEED that!?

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have just one question for all the people going on and on about the ROR trade..............what did we win when he was here?

I can't take the constant whining about this trade. We all knew it was likely to happen. It happened. We all knew what kind of player ROR was and could be. He's good. Got it. Move on. He has.

Not trying to play Devil's advocate here, but a large number, if not the majority  on this board was beyond happy when O'reilly was traded. Many didn't like his locker room cleanout comments and didn't want him around any more because they thought he was a locker room cancer. 

There's this thing called hindsight..........

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Not trying to play Devil's advocate here, but a large number, if not the majority  on this board was beyond happy when O'reilly was traded. Many didn't like his locker room cleanout comments and didn't want him around any more because they thought he was a locker room cancer. 

There's this thing called hindsight..........

There were also many people here who thought Dan Bylsma was a good coach and that it was exciting that we  hired him.  Some of us hated that move from the get go.

Some here said we would make the playoffs this year--as recently as a week or so ago!

There are many here who think Risto is a good defenseman.

I can go on.

Suggesting that the ROR deal was horrible is not just 20/20 hindsight.  The deal was terrible when it was made, it is terrible now, and it will be terrible 20 years from now.  

At least if you're a Sabres fan.  St. Louis fans likely feel differently.

5 hours ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Ha...so we need to eliminate the first 40 years of team history where finances were an issue? 

Hasek to red wings

Kane/Bogo

Fuhr to buffalo 

Lehner/Legwand

Peca while holding out

Hasek to Red Wings?  LOL.  His career was over at that point.

That's not even close.

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

That’s their penance for sucking. Don’t suck and it won’t be brutal. Pretty simple.

Running with the religious motif ....  if that’s penance, listening to the interview is self flagellation!

And now to science, for the non-believers ....  what did Einstein allegedly say about doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Hasek to red wings

Kane/Bogo

Fuhr to buffalo 

Lehner/Legwand

Peca while holding out

Peer McNab for Andre Savard?   Oh, and I liked Savard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.