GDT - Penguins @ Sabres - March 14, 2019 - 7:00 PM EDT - MSG-B; SN; ATTSN-PT

Sabres Fan in NS

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

There were also many people here who thought Dan Bylsma was a good coach and that it was exciting that we  hired him.  Some of us hated that move from the get go.

Some here said we would make the playoffs this year--as recently as a week or so ago!

There are many here who think Risto is a good defenseman.

I can go on.

Suggesting that the ROR deal was horrible is not just 20/20 hindsight.  The deal was terrible when it was made, it is terrible now, and it will be terrible 20 years from now.  

At least if you're a Sabres fan.  St. Louis fans likely feel differently.

Hasek to Red Wings?  LOL.  His career was over at that point.

That's not even close.

Actually, Hasek year 1 with the wings is even better than O'Reilly this year. Reigning vezina winner pushes way out of town (totally justifiable given criminal element running team, in hindsight), and publically stated he wanted return back to be as small as possible. 

Past vs present is a far different story given cap management though. After sobotka is off the books, we all might be singing a different tune. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

And now to science, for the non-believers ....  what did Einstein allegedly say about doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result?

That it was equivalent to rooting for the Sabres? 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Just a thought, with no defense or criticism of players or coaches in mind ..

It must be brutal to be in a situation where you have to answer unanswerable questions with a microphone in your face night after night.   I share many of your collective thoughts on the hockey situation.  I cut the interviewee some slack in that role.

Pominville said some things last night that needed to be followed up on so he could confirm he really meant them and wasn't just spewing playerspeak. "More pride... more pride... pay a price... not the attitude we want to have... pride... battle not there... looked fatigued... Pens play the right way... go to dirty areas... we give up a little too much when we're not on our game (would have been the money quote except it's not clear if he meant give up scoring chances or give up... who wants it more... battling... do it for each other... have pride... stick together... dig deep... I hope there's no quit, I'm certainly not a guy who's going to quit..."

I cut Jason no slack. By that I mean he's not the kind of guy who says things just to answer a question and get home. He said it too many ways. This is really bad.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Pominville said some things last night that needed to be followed up on so he could confirm he really meant them and wasn't just spewing playerspeak. "More pride... more pride... pay a price... not the attitude we want to have... pride... battle not there... looked fatigued... Pens play the right way... go to dirty areas... we give up a little too much when we're not on our game (would have been the money quote except it's not clear if he meant give up scoring chances or give up... who wants it more... battling... do it for each other... have pride... stick together... dig deep... I hope there's no quit, I'm certainly not a guy who's going to quit..."

I cut Jason no slack. By that I mean he's not the kind of guy who says things just to answer a question and get home. He said it too many ways. This is really bad.

Flip side: he's not going to say anything else. He (nor anyone else) is going to come out and blast players as simply not being good enough. What should we expect? Him to say "Yea, we only have 3 top-6 caliber players and 2 top-4 Dmen, and that's our problem." Seriously? Everything players/coaches/GMs say in-season is going to be all fluff around the edges rather than digging into the heart of the issue.

Separately, a funny comment I heard on WGR this morning: "Look on the bright side, Nylander is tied for the team lead in points since his call-up." ?

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have just one question for all the people going on and on about the ROR trade..............what did we win when he was here?

More games than we're winning without him. But that's besides the point. What you're suggesting is simply flawed logic. Just because we weren't good with him doesn't mean we weren't good because of him, or that this year's team wouldn't be better with him.

Most bad teams have a great player or two. The problem isn't the player, it's not having enough players like them. We're not bad because of Eichel, Skinner, and Reinhart. We're bad because of Sobotka, Okposo, et al. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

More games than we're winning without him. But that's besides the point. What you're suggesting is simply flawed logic. Just because we weren't good with him doesn't mean we weren't good because of him, or that this year's team wouldn't be better with him.

Most bad teams have a great player or two. The problem isn't the player, it's not having enough players like them. We're not bad because of Eichel, Skinner, and Reinhart. We're bad because of Sobotka, Okposo, et al. 

Agreed.

We've had Jack for the bulk of this year.  Look at "all the winning" we're doing with him too!

Trade da bum!

13 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Because it’s about adding.  Add Skinner, Sheary, Dahlin, Monty, plus ROR.  Now you are getting closer.  But of course this team has no use for a top faceoff man, a great 2nd C who is responsible defensively and can put up 70 plus points.  We DONT NEED that!?

I've said this before too.

They always seem to dump talent and then look to replace someone the dumped instead of building on what they had. I think the front office could have convinced ROR to change his attitude of they told him that their focus from how on was to build from what they have now and would do whatever it takes to get back to the playoffs, instead of how they were going to continue evaluating and wait for prospects to develop in Rochester. 

8 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

There were also many people here who thought Dan Bylsma was a good coach and that it was exciting that we  hired him.  Some of us hated that move from the get go.

Some here said we would make the playoffs this year--as recently as a week or so ago!

There are many here who think Risto is a good defenseman.

I can go on.

Suggesting that the ROR deal was horrible is not just 20/20 hindsight.  The deal was terrible when it was made, it is terrible now, and it will be terrible 20 years from now.  

At least if you're a Sabres fan.  St. Louis fans likely feel differently.

Hasek to Red Wings?  LOL.  His career was over at that point.

That's not even close.

I wouldnt say Jaseks career was over when he was dealt to Detroit, he still had  bunch of good seasons and won the cup. Even when he went to Ottawa he was still pretty good, but just not as good as at his peak....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What you're suggesting is simply flawed logic. Just because we weren't good with him doesn't mean we weren't good because of him, or that this year's team wouldn't be better with him.

If what you, and all the people still going on about trading him away are suggesting is that we would be a playoff team if we had not made the trade, well it's simply time to drop your crack pipes. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If what you, and all the people still going on about trading him away are suggesting is that we would be a playoff team if we had not made the trade, well it's simply time to drop your crack pipes. 

Find me where anyone has said we would be a playoff team with O'Reilly. Nobody has. What has been said is that his value at 2C, filling the gaping hole we have there, has more value than the catastrophic return we got for him and whatever locker room voodoo you want to believe in.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Find me where anyone has said we would be a playoff team with O'Reilly. Nobody has. What has been said is that his value at 2C, filling the gaping hole we have there, has more value than the catastrophic return we got for him and whatever locker room voodoo you want to believe in.

Only if you believe winning this season truly mattered and that JB lies when he said RORs timeline didn’t fit with other young players on the team. 

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

Only if you believe winning this season truly mattered and that JB lies when he said RORs timeline didn’t fit with other young players on the team. 

As a general principle, I don't pay any attention to why GMs and coaches say unless it is consistently matched by actions. If trading O'Reilly was truly about the age and timeline not matching up, then I don't see why he wants to keep Skinner. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As a general principle, I don't pay any attention to why GMs and coaches say unless it is consistently matched by actions. If trading O'Reilly was truly about the age and timeline not matching up, then I don't see why he wants to keep Skinner. 

Botterill mentioned in the Two Man Advantage Podcast one of the things that surprised him the most was not only how well Skinner meshed with Veterans, but the relationships he has developed with Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Thompson. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Agreed. Quite frankly, I’d be just as happy never hearing anything from them. Post game interviews are an abomination.

“Tell me why you suck!”...

“Liar!”

Man that was one unorganized mess of hockey, players were running into each other, passes were worse that they have been all season...... No one in front of The net, etc etc 

Montour and Dahlin looked good. 

Nylander was invisible again, except the one play I saw him get burned on through the neutral zone. 

Tage, idk what is up with him, he has one move, the toe drag, and he rarely executes it, and is so Charmin soft it's not funny. 

Skinner tried, ill give him that, but that's not enough in these dark days. 

Sad state of affairs indeed 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The implication is that we would be significantly better (if not, why go on about it mattering?) and if we were better we'd have another dozen wins or so and thus be a playoff team or in the hunt until the end. 

If all you're saying is we'd win 2 or 3 more games it's pointless to care about it either way. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The implication is that we would be significantly better (if not, why go on about it mattering?) and if we were better we'd have another dozen wins or so and thus be a playoff team or in the hunt until the end. 

If all you're saying is we'd win 2 or 3 more games it's pointless to care about it either way. 

A dozen wins? There isn't a player in the league worth a dozen wins. That's an insane number for a single player. 2-3 wins is huge when we're talking about how much one player means in the standings. Crosby in his prime was only worth about 5 wins. It's why you need to keep the O'Reilly types around: you need to stack them with others to build a top notch team, not because individually they lift the team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.