Fighting in sports...it's a thing?

Claude Balls

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Read an article about the Hammer of Philly lore and he said he absolutely hated it. He fought to stay in the game. He also said he'd never once fought off the ice. Not a single street fight. 

Personally I like it when a fight keeps the cheap shot artists honest but I also acknowledge its going away and probably for the better. I just hope the officials and the league disciplinarian can properly police the cheap shots.

Is there any evidence that modern day fighting keeps anyone “honest”? Has a player ever admitted to fearing retaliation?

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is there any evidence that modern day fighting keeps anyone “honest”? Has a player ever admitted to fearing retaliation?

Most guys don't like getting punched in the mouth. From my own personal experience getting your nose busted isn't something I'd aspire to. Its hard to measure whether its a deterant because how can you gauge what someone might have done or not done in any given situation ? You see a guy follow a guy into the corner and peel off rather than hit a guy in a vulnerable position. Did he peel off because Lucic is out there or did he peel off because he had some empathy for the other player ? Who knows ?

Just now, bunomatic said:

Most guys don't like getting punched in the mouth. From my own personal experience getting your nose busted isn't something I'd aspire to. Its hard to measure whether its a deterant because how can you gauge what someone might have done or not done in any given situation ? You see a guy follow a guy into the corner and peel off rather than hit a guy in a vulnerable position. Did he peel off because Lucic is out there or did he peel off because he had some empathy for the other player ? Who knows ?

How many fights end in some disappointing dance with no punches landed? I honestly can’t remember a time when Andrew Peters actually hit or was hit someone. I do remember him spinning in circles with his arm outstretched, clutching a jersey and his face turned away. 

Are there players still getting broken noses from fights? With helmets and visors? ??‍♂️

26 minutes ago, SDS said:

How many fights end in some disappointing dance with no punches landed? I honestly can’t remember a time when Andrew Peters actually hit or was hit someone. I do remember him spinning in circles with his arm outstretched, clutching a jersey and his face turned away. 

Are there players still getting broken noses from fights? With helmets and visors? ??‍♂️

Yeah I haven't seen it in a while but hockey noses are a thing. I see one every time I watch a player interview or look in the mirror,lol. And I'm not what I'd consider a fighter. Mine was mostly from bad luck in the faceoff dot when my opponent tried to lift my stick and ended up smashing my nose instead. A few years ago I was sucker punched and it straightened my nose back out but two black eyes and a very sore forehead were the result.

19 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah I haven't seen it in a while but hockey noses are a thing. I see one every time I watch a player interview or look in the mirror,lol. And I'm not what I'd consider a fighter. Mine was mostly from bad luck in the faceoff dot when my opponent tried to lift my stick and ended up smashing my nose instead. A few years ago I was sucker punched and it straightened my nose back out but two black eyes and a very sore forehead were the result.

Someone thought these were the best fights of 2018. Meh. There’s only a handful here where there where any punches connected.

I don't know, 2019 is hitting hard. 

No one likes hearing about head injuries, CTE and fallouts, I do believe fighting in the sport shouldn't be a focal point, but this is freaking hockey, fights are part of the game. 

Everything is becoming so damn politically correct that I can't even handle current life these days, I've been avoiding a lot of topics here, because they mainly turn into someone getting offended and then off the rails and down into the abyss that is our beloved buffalo sabres. 

End of the day, these boys/men are making more money than most of us will ever see, the risks are known and they can be severe. Sure, money isn't everything, but if sure as hell helps a bit. If you can't handle the emotion or physicality of the game, there are 50 others waiting for your spot. 

Staged fights and etc are crap, but a playoff run or even a run to just get into the playoffs is awesome and that comes with high emotions and etc (as buffalo fans, we forget what this looks like) 

End rant 

I think the occasional fight can keep the game under control. So many times today the refs immediately jump in to separate guys before they can fight. Then you see multiple times during the game something similar happens and things start getting out of control. Usually you let the 2 guys fight, get it out of their system, and things move on without issue later.

I was watching an OHL game this week and this happened. Twice the same player from one team hit guys that had them hurt after and the refs immediately jumped in to try and break it up. The hits were blindside or from behind. The first time the player took a penalty for the hit from behind, the other team took one for their player dropping his gloves, which the other guy did too but that was ok apparently. In the 3rd, the same guy pushes another player in front of the net knocking him into the goalie, and the goalie is trying to fight because he thinks the player intentionally hit him. Refs again are quick to pull everyone apart and not allow a fight. Bu the end of the game it ends up with coaches pulling players back and trying to stop some from going on the ice to fight.

Had they just let a fight or 2 go earlier, they get it out of their system and things usually stay under control the rest of the game.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No one likes hearing about head injuries, CTE and fallouts, I do believe fighting in the sport shouldn't be a focal point, but this is freaking hockey, fights are part of the game. 

Everything is becoming so damn politically correct that I can't even handle current life these days, I've been avoiding a lot of topics here, because they mainly turn into someone getting offended and then off the rails and down into the abyss that is our beloved buffalo sabres. 

End of the day, these boys/men are making more money than most of us will ever see, the risks are known and they can be severe. Sure, money isn't everything, but if sure as hell helps a bit. If you can't handle the emotion or physicality of the game, there are 50 others waiting for your spot. 

Staged fights and etc are crap, but a playoff run or even a run to just get into the playoffs is awesome and that comes with high emotions and etc (as buffalo fans, we forget what this looks like) 

End rant 

At one point so were terrible goalies and useless defensemen. So was the red line. In your line of work, bleeding people who were sick used to be all the rage! You're perfectly free to want fighting in hockey to stick around, but "this is how it's always been" is always a bad argument. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

At one point so were terrible goalies and useless defensemen. So was the red line. In your line of work, bleeding people who were sick used to be all the rage! You're perfectly free to want fighting in hockey to stick around, but "this is how it's always been" is always a bad argument. 

I wish my patients were actually sick, instead we have a generation of powderpuff individuals who are a drain on overall society.....anyways I digress. 

Yes, advancements happen, and I want to see fights still happen on occasion, when needed. Not everything that was done "the way its always been" is wrong, may need some tweaking, but it's one of the thing that keeps hockey, well, hockey. 

21 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Players who cheap shot others rarely if ever face the music. Either they won't fight or whoever is punching them doesn't land any blows that matter. Marchand and Lucic have dozens of cheap shots between them.  I can't remember either ever having to pay a price for it. 

On 3/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I think the occasional fight can keep the game under control. So many times today the refs immediately jump in to separate guys before they can fight. Then you see multiple times during the game something similar happens and things start getting out of control. Usually you let the 2 guys fight, get it out of their system, and things move on without issue later.

I was watching an OHL game this week and this happened. Twice the same player from one team hit guys that had them hurt after and the refs immediately jumped in to try and break it up. The hits were blindside or from behind. The first time the player took a penalty for the hit from behind, the other team took one for their player dropping his gloves, which the other guy did too but that was ok apparently. In the 3rd, the same guy pushes another player in front of the net knocking him into the goalie, and the goalie is trying to fight because he thinks the player intentionally hit him. Refs again are quick to pull everyone apart and not allow a fight. Bu the end of the game it ends up with coaches pulling players back and trying to stop some from going on the ice to fight.

Had they just let a fight or 2 go earlier, they get it out of their system and things usually stay under control the rest of the game.

That's one level where I have a serious issue with fighting.  You've got a bunch of teenagers out there and that takes the risks of the head injuries to a whole new level.  Let them go, ok, but a fighting penalty should be the end of their night.  People always like to say the players know the risks in situations like this, but not when it comes to a bunch of kids out there.  I see that they now have suspensions for three getting into three fights over the course of the year, so that's at least a start.

I also know that some people will say that teenagers fight all the time.  That doesn't mean it should be condoned. 

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's one level where I have a serious issue with fighting.  You've got a bunch of teenagers out there and that takes the risks of the head injuries to a whole new level.  Let them go, ok, but a fighting penalty should be the end of their night.  People always like to say the players know the risks in situations like this, but not when it comes to a bunch of kids out there.  I see that they now have suspensions for three getting into three fights over the course of the year, so that's at least a start.

I also know that some people will say that teenagers fight all the time.  That doesn't mean it should be condoned. 

I have no issue with the 3 fights and a suspension rule in juniors, but I would be hesitant to give game misconducts at the professional level or institute a similar suspension rule. There are too many skill-players who are willing to drop them when they feel they are being targeted. Those are the guys people pay to watch and kicking them out seems wrong to me. 

I enjoy a good fight, so long as it’s not staged (though there have been exceptions to this). I could see the major penalty becoming a 10-minute misconduct in the future, which I would probably be okay with. 

Edited by #freejame

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

Have you seen a Sabres game recently? Terrible goalies and useless defenseman are still a big part of the game for some teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

End rant 

Stick fights used to be part of the game too. When was the last time you saw that?

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

Stick fights used to be part of the game too. When was the last time you saw that?

It's a little over the top, BUT, I think this is pretty awesome, id love to see our team of cream puffs do something like this. 

You don't have to like this, or agree with it, but this is entertainment 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's a little over the top, BUT, I think this is pretty awesome, id love to see our team of cream puffs do something like this. 

You don't have to like this, or agree with it, but this is entertainment 

Swinging a stick twice AND MISSING is both tough and entertaining?

That’s a pretty low threshold. 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Swinging a stick twice AND MISSING is both tough and entertaining?

That’s a pretty low threshold. 

Not the fact that he didn't decapitate anyone, but the overall feel in that arena was probably pretty crazy. 

Maybe I'm 125 years old trapped in a young man's body, but bring that stuff on every day and I'm ok with it. 

I'd also be OK with Gladiator fights and etc in the modern day, so maybe it's just me

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Not the fact that he didn't decapitate anyone, but the overall feel in that arena was probably pretty crazy. 

Maybe I'm 125 years old trapped in a young man's body, but bring that stuff on every day and I'm ok with it. 

I'd also be OK with Gladiator fights and etc in the modern day, so maybe it's just me

I get the violence thing. I just don’t think the fighting in hockey - in particular hockey in 2019 resembles violence. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, shrader said:

2 weeks ago I was waiting around a local rink because a friend asked me to fill in for a couple games in the coed league he owns. One of the games was delayed because there was a tournament being hosted all day there. The tournament was for the midget level hockey, so early teens. I couldnt believe how physical these kids were playing and allowed to play.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, inkman said:

Players who cheap shot others rarely if ever face the music. Either they won't fight or whoever is punching them doesn't land any blows that matter. Marchand and Lucic have dozens of cheap shots between them.  I can't remember either ever having to pay a price for it. 

I think that's the things now, the guy that makes a dirty hit, will then usually do things to try and get the other team to retaliate and draw a penalty, or they run away and refuse to fight anyone who comes after them.

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

2 weeks ago I was waiting around a local rink because a friend asked me to fill in for a couple games in the coed league he owns. One of the games was delayed because there was a tournament being hosted all day there. The tournament was for the midget level hockey, so early teens. I couldnt believe how physical these kids were playing and allowed to play.

Do you know what level the teams were (not age level but talent level)?  I'd imagine that the further away you get from the top level, the more rough the game are.  That's a big part of why fighting has died off at the NHL level, with so much more talent out there, they stick much more to the actual hockey.  The sooner the old "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" joke dies off, the better.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Do you know what level the teams were (not age level but talent level)?  I'd imagine that the further away you get from the top level, the more rough the game are.  That's a big part of why fighting has died off at the NHL level, with so much more talent out there, they stick much more to the actual hockey.  The sooner the old "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" joke dies off, the better.

Not sure the level, atleast a select/travel team as they were representing a city/area

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.