GDT Dallas At Buffalo 3/12/19 7pm MSG

Brawndo

Yep... the spaghetti parm at Chefs was the best part of the night....

they looked soooooo uninterested in playing.

Housley is dead man walking. He’s lost the team.

This team has most of the pieces to succeed.

It’s the system and coaching that are the problem. I have no doubt in my mind.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

So wait, how does this work? Can we actually get the #1 pick? 

Can we? Sure there’s a chance as slim as it is.

will we? Hell no. Soooo many things have to break our way. 

I predict our best pick will be in the 7 to 15 range.  Which will still get us a pretty good kid.

Edited by Zamboni

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Honestly I’ve come to that conclusion... we need a goalie, a defenseman, a 6 decent forwards.  That will take years.  We are wasting Jack.  

You guys are where I was pre-game.  It's only going to take longer if Phil Housley starts next season as our HC.  Losing out or something equally ugly has to seal that coffin closed on old Phil, doesn't it!?

PS:  The end of the game was weird.  There were some palpable boos but it was mostly just quiet.  Like the game had been played at Lincoln Park and the 13 parents there to watch had already gone home.

Hockey Heaven!  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

That was poor. 

Dahlin was about the only bright spot for me. 

I wonder what the culture is like in the dressing room now.

It's that Damn OReilly guy...oh wait we shipped him off to St Louis where he is doing everything and more...leading candidate for the Byng and even hart trophy's. Yep he was the problem clearly in the dressingroom. So do you really think or can you blame Skinner for thinking "I'm getting the hell out of here"...  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Yep... the spaghetti parm at Chefs was the best part of the night....

they looked soooooo uninterested in playing.

Housley is dead man walking. He’s lost the team.

This team has most of the pieces to succeed.

It’s the system and coaching that are the problem. I have no doubt in my mind.

In total agreement. I do think there is more talent in this lineup than we give credit for and I honestly believe it is the coaching and the system.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

You guys are where I was pre-game.  It's only going to take longer if Phil Housley starts next season as our HC.  Losing out or something equally ugly has to seal that coffin closed on old Phil, doesn't it!?

PS:  The end of the game was weird.  There were some palpable boos but it was mostly just quiet.  Like the game had been played at Lincoln Park and the 13 parents there to watch had already gone home.

Hockey Heaven!  

You have experience playing games at Lincoln Park?

3 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

It's that Damn OReilly guy...oh wait we shipped him off to St Louis where he is doing everything and more...leading candidate for the Byng and even hart trophy's. Yep he was the problem clearly in the dressingroom. So do you really think or can you blame Skinner for thinking "I'm getting the hell out of here"...  

Oh, you mean on a team that is more experienced and talented?  Right.  Makes sense.  The claim was that he was a bad influence on the younger players, St. Louis doesn't have the same locker room.

Last year, on this date., the Blues were 37-27-0-5.  This year they are 36-26-0-7.  Certainly O'Reilly has more points, but the Sabres had the worst offense in the league last year.  St. Louis was slightly better.  Through nearly the same number of games the Blues have scored 10 more goals this year over last year.

At this point last year the Sabres were 31st in the league.  They are 24th.  No matter how you slice it, that's an improvement of 7 slots.  The Blues have improved from 24th to 19th.  That's decent improvement, for a team that brought in O'Reilly, Bozak, Perron, Maroon.  The season hasn't finished and teams trend, but on this date, the facts are the facts.

It's all sour grapes.  Accept that the Sabres have improved.  Accept they haven't improved as much as you wanted them to.  But don't deny that they are improved. People now want to dismiss the Sabres 10 game win streak.  If you do that you should dismiss the Blues streak.  Without it they would be back in the basement of the league as well.  Well, and without Jordan Binnington who is racking up some seriously impressive numbers in net.  16-4-0-1, .928SV and 1.81 GAA.  That's 3rd best GAA average in the league of goaltenders who have played ANY number of games.  You know the only other regular starter for a team that sits close to him? Ben Bishop, the goalie who beat the Sabres last night who has a .932SV% and a 2.08 GAA

My last thought.  I see people talking about how the Sabres need 6 forwards and some D and goaltending and in the same paragraph are calling for the coaches head.  I find that interesting.  So the coach should be winning despite the Sabres needing to improve 45% of their roster?

Let's not discount that the Sabres had chances last night. The puck didn't go in.  You put that game in the middle of a 5 game stretch where they go 3-2 and no one is really complaining.  You put it after a game where they lost 3-0 and got blown out and people change the narrative.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LTS said:

Oh, you mean on a team that is more experienced and talented?  Right.  Makes sense.  The claim was that he was a bad influence on the younger players, St. Louis doesn't have the same locker room.

Last year, on this date., the Blues were 37-27-0-5.  This year they are 36-26-0-7.  Certainly O'Reilly has more points, but the Sabres had the worst offense in the league last year.  St. Louis was slightly better.  Through nearly the same number of games the Blues have scored 10 more goals this year over last year.

At this point last year the Sabres were 31st in the league.  They are 24th.  No matter how you slice it, that's an improvement of 7 slots.  The Blues have improved from 24th to 19th.  That's decent improvement, for a team that brought in O'Reilly, Bozak, Perron, Maroon.  The season hasn't finished and teams trend, but on this date, the facts are the facts.

It's all sour grapes.  Accept that the Sabres have improved.  Accept they haven't improved as much as you wanted them to.  But don't deny that they are improved. People now want to dismiss the Sabres 10 game win streak.  If you do that you should dismiss the Blues streak.  Without it they would be back in the basement of the league as well.  Well, and without Jordan Binnington who is racking up some seriously impressive numbers in net.  16-4-0-1, .928SV and 1.81 GAA.  That's 3rd best GAA average in the league of goaltenders who have played ANY number of games.  You know the only other regular starter for a team that sits close to him? Ben Bishop, the goalie who beat the Sabres last night who has a .932SV% and a 2.08 GAA

My last thought.  I see people talking about how the Sabres need 6 forwards and some D and goaltending and in the same paragraph are calling for the coaches head.  I find that interesting.  So the coach should be winning despite the Sabres needing to improve 45% of their roster?

Let's not discount that the Sabres had chances last night. The puck didn't go in.  You put that game in the middle of a 5 game stretch where they go 3-2 and no one is really complaining.  You put it after a game where they lost 3-0 and got blown out and people change the narrative.

God Bless you... you help keep me sane. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LTS said:

For some time now, the Sabres haven't been burying their chances though.  It's not an isolated incident.  Yes it would be easily dismissed if it were an anomaly.  But it's the norm with this team.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LTS said:

At this point last year the Sabres were 31st in the league.  They are 24th.  No matter how you slice it, that's an improvement of 7 slots.  ....

It's all sour grapes.  Accept that the Sabres have improved.  Accept they haven't improved as much as you wanted them to.  But don't deny that they are improved.

No one could have or would have predicted that the Sabres would be DFL last season. Botterill and Housley screwed up. How in the world do they get the benefit of that failure this year to represent "improvement"? A better way of looking at it, courtesy of Jeremy White, is that this team is on par with the last Bylsma team that was so bad it cost the GM and coach his job.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Let's not discount that the Sabres had chances last night. The puck didn't go in.

You've described every shutout in hockey history.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No one could have or would have predicted that the Sabres would be DFL last season. Botterill and Housley screwed up. How in the world do they get the benefit of that failure this year to represent "improvement"? A better way of looking at it, courtesy of Jeremy White, is that this team is on par with the last Bylsma team that was so bad it cost the GM and coach his job.

You've described every shutout in hockey history.

I love the "we are improved" crowd. The Sabres went from being one of the worst teams in modern history last season to slightly better this year because of a 10 game streak where they benefited from more lucky breaks then because they were good. Since December, they have been the worst team in the league and atleast as bad as last years team. The only improvement this team had was a brief 10 game stretch in November.

People keep saying they lack talent, yet whenever they have talent, they let them walk and have to chase someone new to replace them instead of adding to what they have.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LTS said:

Yep; played a lot of hockey at Lincoln Park.  The one in the Town of Tonawanda, that is.

LOL

That was my immediate reaction after the game last night.  It was just really quiet, like the game had been played in a venue that seats 100 people or something.  I guess almost everyone there had gone home by the time Reinhart did his Gretzkey routine, taking up shop behind the net.  He looked, studied, thought, deliberated, down by 2 goals...and then the clock ran out with the puck still on his stick, still behind the net.

LOL!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I love the "we are improved" crowd. The Sabres went from being one of the worst teams in modern history last season to slightly better this year because of a 10 game streak where they benefited from more lucky breaks then because they were good. Since December, they have been the worst team in the league and atleast as bad as last years team. The only improvement this team had was a brief 10 game stretch in November.

People keep saying they lack talent, yet whenever they have talent, they let them walk and have to chase someone new to replace them instead of adding to what they have.

That's what I mean with "the bar being set so low" around here now. The bar used to be "we don't want to be one of those teams that finishes 7th or 8th only to go out in the first round"- now we are satisfied (or some are anyhow) with "at least we're better than last season"- even though it means we are completely out of the playoffs by a long shot again. So sad what has happened to this franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.