Nylander called up

Brawndo

I’ve been waiting for him to play with Eichel since the day we drafted him.

On paper, he can read the game at a high level and interact with Jack the way Sam does, but he has better speed and a better shot.

Jack’s alpha male tendencies can theoretically compensate for his lack of same. He just has to keep his feet moving.

I am 50/50 on him.

On one hand, yes, him developing in Buffalo would be great! And hopefully a fine asset to a line.

On the other hand, I could see him finishing the season strong in Buffalo,  get sent to Roch. and help them win in the playoffs. With his value inflated, JB puts him in a package deal over the summer to help improve the team next season.

Either scenario works for me ... ?‍♂️  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve been waiting for him to play with Eichel since the day we drafted him.

On paper, he can read the game at a high level and interact with Jack the way Sam does, but he has better speed and a better shot.

Jack’s alpha male tendencies can theoretically compensate for his lack of same. He just has to keep his feet moving.

Where are you seeing evidence of this? I'm interested in what he brings, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Where are you seeing evidence of this? I'm interested in what he brings, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

The shot from AHL highlights, where he has wired a few from distance. The speed on the Sheary goal last night and a couple backchecks where he noticeably caught up with the rush.

My big concern with Nylander (and I think it was Flagg who was also big on this) is that he is a practice player. He can dazzle you in drills, but his skills disappear when confronted with burly men in his face at game speed.

To Weave’s point, that’s exactly what has happened with Mittelstadt this year. He looks good in open ice but struggles to find open ice against NHL checking. And Casey seems far more scrappy and competitive than Alex.

Im always biased toward smart hockey players and Alex seems to have good hockey IQ. But all the smarts in the world are useless if you cant find or create separation.

Edited by dudacek

I think this is where the AHL has served Nylander.  Unlike Mitts, I think Nylander looked fine playing with the big boys.  He still needs to adjust to the NHL game, but my impression was that he wasn't surprised, held back, or intimidated by playing with adult athletes.

I agree that I'd like to see Nylander with Jack.  I get the impression Nylander will eventually become somewhat physical.  Anyway, I'd like to see him with Jack, so we can move Samson to his own line because Samson was killing it last night and he needs his own line.

44 minutes ago, ... said:

so we can move Samson to his own line because Samson was killing it last night and he needs his own line.

I think Samson doesn't necessarily drive a line, but he certainly complements a center.  I like the combination of Samson and ERod.

It’s funny how my feelings are shifting about Nylander.

I didn’t like the pick, but I am really starting to root for him - not so much because I’ve come around on his game, but because I desperately need to see some evidence that Botterill’s commitment to developing young players can pay off.

Turning a mishandled guy who all signs pointed toward bust-hood into a useful NHLer would be a huge win for the Sabres development program.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s funny how my feelings are shifting about Nylander.

I didn’t like the pick, but I am really starting to root for him - not so much because I’ve come around on his game, but because I desperately need to see some evidence that Botterill’s commitment to developing young players can pay off.

Turning a mishandled guy who all signs pointed toward bust-hood into a useful NHLer would be a huge win for the Sabres development program.

No thanks to Cal O'Reilly.  ?

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think Samson doesn't necessarily drive a line, but he certainly complements a center.  I like the combination of Samson and ERod.

I’m going to respectfully disagree, during Botterill’s last appearance on WGR he mentioned that Sam has proven he can drive his own line. 

Nylander is already playing for his career right now but I wonder if playing his brother tonight gives him even extra motivation. 

He has looked pretty good at times over the past two games.  Very anxious to see if he can build off that or goes through another invisible stretch.

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

That's a hell of a shot.  I still don't know if I'm ready to give up on him yet.  Could still turn into a Kotalik type imo.

If Nylander turns into a 2nd line player at this point, that's a win, right? I've been clinging to the "he'll be a better NHLer than AHLer" for awhile, but that hope tank has moved near empty. This call-up has been nothing but encouraging. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.