Nylander called up

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Drunkard said:

If I remember it right, all the reports indicated that JB never even discussed offering Kane an extension with his agent, so it's kind of inaccurate to just assume that there was no way Kane was going to sign here. It's quite possible that he was open to signing an extension, but that's impossible to do if an offer is never made.

Either way, that's JB's prerogative, but it's not like Kane was the one who refused any discussion of staying in Buffalo.

How do you know this?

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

How do you know this?

It's speculation from the known information (not the Top Secret sources Brawndo seems to have). From all reports and articles that were posted here over that time GMJB had no discussions with Kane or his agent about a contract extension. We did however see the reports of JB's "demands" of requiring 4 pieces including a first round pick in order to move Kane.

So I extrapolated from that. Kane was under an expiring contract and the boss didn't even attempt to offer him an extension while also leaking to the media what would be needed in exchange for renting Kane out at the deadline. I would think most reasonable people would take that as Not Welcome sign from the GM.

Now I could be completely wrong about everything, but like I said I'm going off the information that made it to print and not secret insider information. Maybe Brawndo's source is legit and there were no official extension talks because Kane told his agent he wanted to seek greener pastures, but when the GM reportedly doesn't even table the guy an offer while also leaking out what he wants to trade the guy, I don't think it's a leap to make the assumption that Botterill was ready to move on.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Who were the top prospects that should not have been shelved? There aren't any in Roch that would be an upgrade to Mitts IMO. TT is another story.

With that said, I do believe that they both could have benefited from at least a half season in the AHL and Roch would benefit also.

The 2 top six forward trades no matter how you look at it personally, may be in some question, but are not totally "nothing" and still yet to be determined.

Nylander, Olofsson, O'Regan, Smith, Pilut.  Any three of those forwards could have stepped in Sobotka, Thompson or Girgensons any time after Thanksgiving.  Pilut is among the top six Dmen in the organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Sabel79 said:

The rest of the post was unnecessary.  Have your opinion all you want, but don’t swing it around like a verified fact.

Better to speculate based on information that actually made it to print in the media than to claim it false based on unverified sources that can't even be named. It shouldn't be a big leap to assume that the GM didn't want the guy around if they

A) Reportedly never held talks with him or his agent about a contract extension and

B) Leaked demands about his required selling price to the media

On 3/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, jad1 said:

Nylander, Olofsson, O'Regan, Smith, Pilut.  Any three of those forwards could have stepped in Sobotka, Thompson or Girgensons any time after Thanksgiving.  Pilut is among the top six Dmen in the organization. 

Yup. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, jad1 said:

I agree with the forwards but I really like the game that Zemgus’ game has morphed into as a bottom line grinding forward. 

2 hours ago, bobs0108 said:

I agree with the forwards but I really like the game that Zemgus’ game has morphed into as a bottom line grinding forward. 

Yeah, maybe Thanksgiving is too soon, but once the team started spiraling, Girgs is a candidate to sit because you basically know what he brings.  He's going to be what you describe him as, and if Botterill wants that type of player he can confidently pencil him in next season.

With the prospects, I would think that Botterrill would want to see them on the big club to judge their progress. The Sabres desperately need middle six forwards and it would be good to know if these guys might be able to fill those lines next season, or if they are better used as assets to acquire legit middle six players.

15 hours ago, spndnchz said:

He left?

I'm taking a break. I can't keep having to defend everything while rando posters just toss out garbage devoid of facts points. There's definitely a lower standard on here lately of uniformed nonsense and it all has to do with the team sucking. Perfect example was the discussion of Risto. There were several posts using stats and game discussions to say why he was bad, then there was the rebuttal which was basically a bunch of people telling the stats people how dumb they were. It was basically an unreadable hodgepodge of bitching because Risto is bad and some can't handle it. Since I won't play nice, I think I will take a week off and recollect my thoughts. 

It’s getting really hard to wade through this stuff.

@pi2000 was funny, Yuri entertaining, @Ghost of Dwight Drane reliably provocative, @jame arrogant and edgy but logical, @X. Benedict wise, @Randall Flagg passionate and impeccably researched, @WildCard affable and interested, @3putt sharp, @MODO Hockey...all reasons to keep coming back, all gone.

Disagreed with every single one of them and enjoyed it because they made it worthwhile.

Not saying there aren’t still a lot of great long-time posters here, or newer ones who have stepped up and added to the community. But they are posting less often and, like @LGR4GM says, their voices are starting drown in this sea of tears. Even @darksabre and @Taro T, two of our most reliable, well-established, credible posters have gone silent.

I come here to be engaged and entertained, not to listen to grown-ups whine and cry.

I’m not leaving, but goddamn it people, say something thoughtful.

And grow a pair.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

@pi2000 was funny, Yuri entertaining, @Ghost of Dwight Drane reliably provocative, @jame arrogant and edgy but logical, @X. Benedict wise, @Randall Flagg passionate and impeccably researched, @WildCard affable and interested, @3putt sharp, @MODO Hockey...all reasons to keep coming back, all gone.

Disagreed with every single one of them and enjoyed it because they made it worthwhile.

Not saying there aren’t still a lot of great long-time posters here, or newer ones who have stepped up and added to the community. But they are posting less often and, like @LGR4GM says, their voices are starting drown in this sea of tears. Even @darksabre and @Taro T, two of our most reliable, well-established, credible posters have gone silent.

I come here to be engaged and entertained, not to listen to grown-ups whine and cry.

And grow a pair.

One of the very few reasons I have for watching tonight's game is Nylander. Positioning, speed, shot, skating, I think he looks like an NHLer.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

I have and others have said all that needs to be said about what this team needs... scorers yes... and a coach who can put guys in positions were they can succeed and limit there flaws.

? Do you design a system around players or do you design a system and look for players to fill those roles.? The second takes a long time and variability can ruin it. Or you build talent use it in best ways possible and when you have enough talent build your system?  

Again this is a young team with a newer nhl coach with a system idea and not enough of the right players for his system.  It sucks, but I dont think Phil has enough experience yet to adjust on the fly.  I can see him trying, but the talent isnt there. ?Can Sabres wait till he get both talent and experience... not sure.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:31 PM, dudacek said:

And grow a pair.

Ive tried, but this season i cannot, i just cannot stand Phil and his coaching. I strongly belive that he has failed utterly on the players, getting close to them and their familys and to turn this sh1tshow around. 

There is just no point, and unfortunatly this makes me way to angry, to unfocused and frustrated that my comments sometime wouldnt make much sense other than bad words piled up to a sh1tshow it self. Thats really not me so ive just taken a step back and try to stay positive for whats coming, eventhough its obviously hard.

Is that thoughtful enough for you? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.