Nylander called up

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Tage and girgensons, of course 

If Jack is suspended it might have to be.

Very interested in seeing what he can do, but I don’t see them putting him in a position to succeed.

Edited by dudacek

Nylander is not ready to do anything at the NHL level.

Don't get me wrong, it can't hurt to bring him up here.

This is indeed management's way of saying the season is over.

I wonder if BOGO still believes in each and every one of his teammates in the room to get it done and make the playoffs?

Does he think we are toast now?

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This is surprising, Olofsson or Smith deserve it more

But the Amerks need Olofsson and Smith more.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Tage and girgensons, of course 

I would have liked Nylander - Mitts - Thompson as the 2nd line in ROC this season....  That said, we need to put him on a second line so he gets offensive zone starts. Nylander - ERod - Reino. Or Nyander - Mitts - Pommers.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think this is anything more than giving people a look. Sometimes players surprise at a different level, they just fit. Smith looked like he could step up and was underwhelming. Nylander hasn't impressed but maybe there's some surprise magic. Unlikely, but who knows, as a team you have to give guys periodic looks just to keep them believing you remember they exist. 

Don't know why they've never given Olofsson a look, but I don't see Rochester games so I leave that up to those who see more of them. Personally, at this stage I'd be rotating every major prospect we had just to see what they have (wasn't the whole point of having a farm team close by was to allow you to send players back and forth easily?)

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think this is anything more than giving people a look. Sometimes players surprise at a different level, they just fit. Smith looked like he could step up and was underwhelming. Nylander hasn't impressed but maybe there's some surprise magic. Unlikely, but who knows, as a team you have to give guys periodic looks just to keep them believing you remember they exist. 

Don't know why they've never given Olofsson a look, but I don't see Rochester games so I leave that up to those who see more of them. Personally, at this stage I'd be rotating every major prospect we had just to see what they have (wasn't the whole point of having a farm team close by was to allow you to send players back and forth easily?)

I guess we have to define underwhelming.   Smith only played 11 games, scored two goals and did not have a negative +/-.  He showed better than Sobotka, Zemgus, Elie, Tage and better than Sherie for stretches.  But the entire Sabres team was “underwheming” so maybe he qualifies.   For me, he was sent back only b/c you have so many other commitments.  And to develop on a winning team in Roch.  Next year,  I would much rather qualify Smith and cut bait with some other RFA’s.

For me this call up  is different than all of the others we have seen this year.  Based on the players age, draft selection and where they fit organizationally. I hope Phil Housley gives this kid a fair shake in terms of line combination,  although past history suggests this probably will not happen.  We all know Nylander is not JB’s guy, so maybe there is a bit of a microscope to see if he has any future here.   Might also be a good move for ratings.  I know I’ll watch, and not so sure I could have said that yesterday post game. 

Edited by Broken Ankles

45 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I guess we have to define underwhelming.   Smith only played 11 games, scored two goals and did not have a negative +/-.  He showed better than Sobotka, Zemgus, Elie, Tage and better than Sherie for stretches.  But the entire Sabres team was “underwheming” so maybe he qualifies.   For me, he was sent back only b/c you have so many other commitments.  And to develop on a winning team in Roch.  Next year,  I would much rather qualify Smith and cut bait with some other RFA’s.

My definition of underwhelming would be he did not look any better than what was already there. He did not stand out and did not click with anyone he played with and so you send him back to develop because you can rather than waiving someone else.

I would hope he still develops and plays next year but also, if he is the same as what we saw, it isn't an improvement over this lot, it's just rotating forgettables. 

When a guy comes up I don't expect perfection, but I want to see something, some aspect, that distinguishes them or makes me think they might be an improvement. Pilut, for example, moved the puck well. Too weak defensively at this point but if he strengthens and improves his D games he's still a maybe. Someone else comes up I want to think wow, he's fast, or I liked the way he banged into people or..............something, anything. Not just, meh, he was as good as Tage, cause that ain't good enough. 

I think the plan from day one was to see if Nylander could show his commitment over the long haul in Rochester and to call him up late in the year if he did.

Despite a lack of production through the middle of the season, it sounds like he has been a good soldier and it sounds like the past week or two have been some of his best performances.

But I think we might be overlooking the obvious: our mot talented forward up here is out, so they called up the most talented forward down there.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.