What are your predictions/expectations for next year?

freester

I don't see any help coming from Rochester for next year.  Some fans are expecting Olofsson to come in and light it up.  I think that is unrealistic.  Unless Botts makes a huge trade or an impact free agent signing, I don't see any way we are a contender.  GASabresfan who is the new #2 center you are hoping for for next year?

Edited by freester

I anticipate them signing Duchene as the 2C.  From Friedman’s 31 thoughts, sounded like they were interested in acquiring him at the deadline 

I’m also expecting them to get the #2 pick in the draft.  They would land their first line RW in Kakko

trade Risto for a second line LW. 

Skinner.   Eichel.    Kakko

???             Duchene.     Reinhart

Sheary.       Mittlestadt.   Olofsson/Nylander 

Girgensons    Sobatka      Okposo 

DAHLIN        Bogo

McCabe        Montour 

Pulit                Nelson / Borgen

Definitely a playoff team with better than avg goaltending 

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I anticipate them signing Duchene as the 2C.  From Friedman’s 31 thoughts, sounded like they were interested in acquiring him at the deadline 

I’m also expecting them to get the #2 pick in the draft.  They would land their first line RW in Kakko

DAHLIN        Bogo

McCabe        Montour 

You know LSD is still illegal.  How are we getting the 2nd overall pick?  No way is Kakko ready to start on the top line. Bogo as a top pair???  Better than average goaltending-Is the Dominator coming out of retirement???  Who is the  LW we are getting for Ristolainen?

54 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

DAHLIN        Bogo

McCabe        Montour 

Duchene is not the player we are looking for. Soft player that's been on losing teams his whole career. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

we need to hit free agency heavily..picking up TOUGH vets who are not necc stars but 2 way players.

we could get another wildly talented kid in the draft and still be the same weakling team we are now.

If our roster isnt greatly changed(3-4 tough vets in top 3 lines) expect the same mediocrity--even if Dahlin turns into Bobby Orr .

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you think this team would have been a playoff team with a 2nd line center (ROR?)?  If you do, don’t you think Jbot know that as well?  

They’ll have one next season. 

They will be a playoff team next season.

So he's learning on the job, huh?  Just figured out that ROR is a good and valuable player now, after trading him for nothing, huh?

Great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

DAHLIN        Bogo

McCabe        Montour 

We're going to sign Duchene and get the second pick in the draft, huh?

I guess we can accuse you of pessimistic thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, calti said:

we need to hit free agency heavily..picking up TOUGH vets who are not necc stars but 2 way players.

we could get another wildly talented kid in the draft and still be the same weakling team we are now.

If our roster isnt greatly changed(3-4 tough vets in top 3 lines) expect the same mediocrity--even if Dahlin turns into Bobby Orr .

I agree with all of this, but I don't think this is a priority for Botterill.  He is trying to build a Pittsburgh Penguin finesse team, which is the last thing in the world I would try to do, but I'm not the GM.

We had the best gritty 2-way forward in the league in that second tier of talent in ROR and he gave him away for nothing.

Then again, who knows.  Maybe Botterill is about to get fired at season's end.  I don't know.

12 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I agree with all of this, but I don't think this is a priority for Botterill.  He is trying to build a Pittsburgh Penguin finesse team, which is the last thing in the world I would try to do, but I'm not the GM.

We had the best gritty 2-way forward in the league in that second tier of talent in ROR and he gave him away for nothing.

Then again, who knows.  Maybe Botterill is about to get fired at season's end.  I don't know.

Oilers and sabres are making the same mistakes. We need to look at the bruins for what works in this league.

1 hour ago, freester said:

You know LSD is still illegal.  How are we getting the 2nd overall pick?  No way is Kakko ready to start on the top line. Bogo as a top pair???  Better than average goaltending-Is the Dominator coming out of retirement???  Who is the  LW we are getting for Ristolainen?

By dropping to 7th last they will have a legit shot at the top 3 picks.  Kakko is killing it in a pro league.  He could make an EP type transition to the NHL 

hasek was way above better than avg. 

not sure who the player for Risto is.  JT Miller’s name have been thrown around a lot 

and yes LSD is still illigal but pot isn’t 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

DAHLIN        Bogo

McCabe        Montour 

Wilson has a spot on this team next year somewhere.  He goes all out on each shift and it's noticeable to me against the backdrop of all the other Sabres going through the motions.  They can't have 20 Wilsons, but they are a better team with 2 or 3.

6 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

So he's learning on the job, huh?  Just figured out that ROR is a good and valuable player now, after trading him for nothing, huh?

Great.

No.  I believe Jbot and ROR had a very frank conversation and ROR made it clear that he didn’t want to be in Buffalo.  Jbot therefore went and got as much as he could’ve  for him.  

From a hockey standpoint this season I agree it was a mistake, but depending on how Tage, Mitts and the 1st rd pick develop, this trade made not look bad in the future.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  I believe Jbot and ROR had a very frank conversation and ROR made it clear that he didn’t want to be in Buffalo.  Jbot therefore went and got as much as he cuff for him.  

From a hockey standpoint this season I agree it was a mistake, but depending on how Tage, Mitts and the 1st rd pick develop, this trade made not look bad in the future.

Given the fact it had the deal had to be done before his signing bonus was due I believe there was Ownership Involvement as well 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  I believe Jbot and ROR had a very frank conversation and ROR made it clear that he didn’t want to be in Buffalo.  Jbot therefore went and got as much as he cuff for him.  

If JBOT was a competent GM he would never have acquiesced to ROR trade demands. He would have improved the team around him and hired a competent coach to make ROR happy and produce a winner. 

24 minutes ago, freester said:

If JBOT was a competent GM he would never have acquiesced to ROR trade demands. He would have improved the team around him and hired a competent coach to make ROR happy and produce a winner. 

and if Murray had never traded for ROR we'd still have Zadorov and Compher (the two guys who roughed us up in the Colorado game) on the roster and maybe we wouldn't be the soft team we are now.................IFF.

My expectation for next year is playoffs. It will require better goaltending and a few new bodies added as well as some rookies stepping up, but if the system is in place properly it will be time for it to come together. If not, it might never and we will spend the year talking about firing first Housley and then JBot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.