OT....St. Patrick and his Day....

Ogre

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

So not advisable for 3 and 5 year old children?

If you’re the kind of parent that doesn’t mind exposing their kids to swearing drunken fights possible nudity broken bottles general rudeness and arrests… Then yeah go for it ... Haha

Quite frankly a three and five-year-old probably prefer a nice Shamrock shake from McDonald’s instead… At least my kid did back in the day.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Quite frankly a three and five-year-old probably prefer a nice Shamrock shake from McDonald’s instead… At least my kid did back in the day.

Had a bit too much 'sauce' one year (pre kids), then stopped for one of those (mistake).  About halfway through it, stuff came back up ... right into the cup.  ?

Good news was that it all disappeared quickly into the thick green liquid.  Bad new is that I can't take a sip from one now without wondering was lies beneath the surface. ?

Our corned beef just went into the oven.  Yes, oven.

We make corned beef less conventionally.  We prefer flat over point.  Once the flat is cured it gets rinsed off good, and then dried thoroughly.  We slather on a good coat of coarse mustard, and a spread a few tablespoons of brown sugar onto the top of that.  Goes into a large, covered baking dish, and into a 275-300 degree oven. Usually takes 3-4 hrs to roast until tender.  Once tender the heat goes up to 350 and the lid comes off to firm up the mustard-brown sugar crust.  Takes about 20-30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and rest for another 20-30 minutes before slicing.  Against the grain, thin slices.

Served with colcannon.  Look it up.  Mashed potatoes, cabbage, and bacon all in one delicious side dish.  Ginger butter glazed carrots on the side as well.

Roasting instead of simmering results in a different texture.  The corners get crispy, which is the best part.  You do need to thoroughly rinse the roast beforehand or it'll be too salty.

BTW- Americas Test Kitchen cure recipe is very good here.  But we've done it with store bought corned beef as well.  In fact, today 's is store bought.

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

It’s like an upper deck MNF game at New Era Field.   It’s fun an entertaining, but mind your women and children ...  and be prepared to explain the unexplainable!

SabreSpace has so many chefs.  I still want an @Claude_Verret BBQ.

Ubered for 9 hours yesterday. Looking at the surge pricing last night, I should have started later. Regardless, I did make $350 with no incidents other than a couple arguing over a broken cell phone and some weird blue stuff of my rear seat weather tech floor mat. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Our corned beef just went into the oven.  Yes, oven.

We make corned beef less conventionally.  We prefer flat over point.  Once the flat is cured it gets rinsed off good, and then dried thoroughly.  We slather on a good coat of coarse mustard, and a spread a few tablespoons of brown sugar onto the top of that.  Goes into a large, covered baking dish, and into a 275-300 degree oven. Usually takes 3-4 hrs to roast until tender.  Once tender the heat goes up to 350 and the lid comes off to firm up the mustard-brown sugar crust.  Takes about 20-30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and rest for another 20-30 minutes before slicing.  Against the grain, thin slices.

Served with colcannon.  Look it up.  Mashed potatoes, cabbage, and bacon all in one delicious side dish.  Ginger butter glazed carrots on the side as well.

Roasting instead of simmering results in a different texture.  The corners get crispy, which is the best part.  You do need to thoroughly rinse the roast beforehand or it'll be too salty.

BTW- Americas Test Kitchen cure recipe is very good here.  But we've done it with store bought corned beef as well.  In fact, today 's is store bought.

I tried a version of this. Delicious!! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I honestly may have only celebrated this maybe once since elementary school. Anyone else skip this holiday?

I never do.

unless you count grabbing a shamrock shake and a cookie with green frosting on it at Wegmans “celebrating” haha 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Derrico said:

Went with shamrock shakes at McDonalds 

IMG_7882.JPG

I hope the one on the left has an Eichel jersey too because that kid has his hair.

10 hours ago, SDS said:

I honestly may have only celebrated this maybe once since elementary school. Anyone else skip this holiday?

I don't really care one bit about the so called holiday, but my very Irish neighbors through a big party each year.  It's the superbowl of neighborhood parties around here, so I enjoy that as much as possible.  I'm the only one not wearing any green though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I usually cook an Irish meal and have a couple beers with it. That's about the extent. 

I think it is about the best holiday you can have.  Cook a meal you like, drink some beers, watch a parade if you are so inclined.  And that is the extent of it.  Unless you want to make it more than that.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Funny thing is, St Patrick was not Irish but Welsh. ?

4 hours ago, SDS said:

I saw a meme that said he had Italian parents but grew up in the UK somewhere. 

I always thought he was Romeo-British.

Also, he only ever refered to himself as "Patricius", so all those "Paddy's not Patty's" pedants out there can stuff it.

1 hour ago, sabills said:

I always thought he was Romeo-British.

Also, he only ever refered to himself as "Patricius", so all those "Paddy's not Patty's" pedants out there can stuff it.

They are being pendant because it is a gender difference.  Patricia would have been the Roman female version that would be appropriately shortened to Patty.

Edited by Weave

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, Derrico said:

The only *no go* zone for young children is a half a block in each direction of Chippewa. Haven't been up and down Chippewa in 20 years, I'm assuming there are plenty of bars on Chippewa.

The police put up barricades all along that area so it's easy to spot. The rest of the route has young kids all along it. Mostly sitting in chairs out in the street just along the curb with the parents behind them.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:04 AM, Neo said:

It’s like an upper deck MNF game at New Era Field.   It’s fun an entertaining, but mind your women and children ...  and be prepared to explain the unexplainable!

SabreSpace has so many chefs.  I still want an @Claude_Verret BBQ.

Ha...unfortunately I am semi retired from my bbq hey day. Got read the riot act by my doc about 18 months ago and went 90% plant based diet. I only bbq once in a blue moon these days. On the upside I'm down almost 50 lbs and feel like I'm 25 again!

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.