OT....St. Patrick and his Day....

Ogre

My mother’s side is Irish...grandma did the boiled dinner...and corned beef and cabbage..

My wife’s paternal family is 100%...the last name...the first names...my wife’s first name is Gaelic for Ireland. I’m pretty sure there’s a leprechaun or two in the bloodline. 

I do a corned beef round...waaay better than brisket or point....and I always do soda bread.... my wife is a Blue Jimmy fan and we’re five minutes away so we’ll do this too...

B81E50D8-8A07-41ED-9396-87C09B891DFF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

What's "his day"?

Well he’s having a whole damn weekend party in Bloomfield....I’m assuming it has something to do with the unofficial holiday. Once your fully out from under that rock I’ll buy you a beer...I won’t paint your ass green though...that’s for family to do...

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

My mother’s side is Irish...grandma did the boiled dinner...and corned beef and cabbage..

My wife’s paternal family is 100%...the last name...the first names...my wife’s first name is Gaelic for Ireland. I’m pretty sure there’s a leprechaun or two in the bloodline. 

I do a corned beef round...waaay better than brisket or point....and I always do soda bread.... my wife is a Blue Jimmy fan and we’re five minutes away so we’ll do this too...

I'd fight you over round vs. brisket, but I'd rather raise a glass to your re-education.

Give us the recipes or we won't believe you.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

I'd fight you over round vs. brisket, but I'd rather raise a glass to your re-education.

Cook off challenge official test tester that will travel far and wide bringing good aged scotch at your service.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, Weave said:

I'm with you. Round is tougher, I like the tenderness of the brisket much better. But as long as the cabbage still has some crunch to it, I'll be happy. Not a fan of soggy cabbage.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

My BRISKET went into the brine the other day.  Just waiting to be cooked.  It will be done on Saturday though because I will be at the Sabres/Blues game on the 17th.

Don’t understand why you all want to eat all that marbled in, gelatinous fat. 

3 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I'm with you. Round is tougher, I like the tenderness of the brisket much better. But as long as the cabbage still has some crunch to it, I'll be happy. Not a fan of soggy cabbage.

Oof. Sounds like coleslaw. I’ve got to have the cabbage cooked through....make a little side bowl of cabbage and broth to soak that soda bread...mmmmmm.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, Weave said:

Well...the brisket may win over the round but....I’m like 12-0 with a few KO’s in there??

Edited by Ogre

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

It will clog the arteries to my brain and kill me like it did my father.....

and its ***** gross...

Medical necessity.  A solid justification for denying yourself of the better things in life.  I get it.

The gross part?  Denial.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Medical necessity.  A solid justification for denying yourself of the better things in life.  I get it.

The gross part?  Denial.

Dude. This brings back memories. My Dad had a beef farm and was very good at the fattening, aging and whatnot...He was always sooo offended that I didn’t eat the fat...I did my best to reason with him...

One bite...maybe two....That’s all my palate could handle..

17 hours ago, Ogre said:

Don’t understand why you all want to eat all that marbled in, gelatinous fat. 

The fat breaks down and drains away.  You don't grab a hunk of it and chew on it.  That is gross.

Brisket is not a meat you cook in under an hour.... or even 2 hours.  Despite this concept of "boiling" the brisket.. I'm not going to do that.. ever.. to any meat.  It's going to get braised and slow cooked for a long time.

Unless health dictates diet constraints I live by the "everything in moderation" mantra.  I eat red meat perhaps once every few weeks.  

17 minutes ago, Ogre said:

The great corned beef debate has me trying a point for the first time....Sheppards ’s pie tonight....lambless...neither the wife or I eat lamb....

We do our shepherds pie as a St. Paddy’s day leftover meal.  Chopped corned beef makes a great shepherds pie filling.

35 minutes ago, Ogre said:

The great corned beef debate has me trying a point for the first time....Sheppard’s pie tonight....lambless...neither the wife or I eat lamb....

That’s called cottage pie, then.

Shepherds pie = lamb. (Irish)

Cottage pie = beef. (English)

(learnt that a couple of weeks ago m’self)

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

We do our shepherds pie as a St. Paddy’s day leftover meal.  Chopped corned beef makes a great shepherds pie filling.

Never thought of that. My leftovers usually become hash....I’m doing a fairly large point so I may try this later in the week...

14 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That’s called cottage pie, then.

Shepherds pie = lamb. (Irish)

Cottage pie = beef. (English)

(learnt that a couple of weeks ago m’self)

Imma still chow it down...still going to wash it all down with copious amounts of cream ale...did either groups smoke weed? Cuz Imma do that too...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I’m in Buffalo and see there’s a st Patty’s day parade at 2.  Has anyone been before?  Worth checking out?

It’s usually an absolute shitshow, so if that’s your scene I would recommend it; it’s never let me down before. 

Edited by #freejame

40 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I’m in Buffalo and see there’s a st Patty’s day parade at 2.  Has anyone been before?  Worth checking out?

Highly recommended if being in a sea of drunken shenanigans is your thing.  Guaranteed the drinking has already started on the parade route.

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

Highly recommended if being in a sea of drunken shenanigans is your thing.  Guaranteed the drinking has already started on the parade route.

So not advisable for 3 and 5 year old children?

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.