GDT - Sabres @ Colorado - March 9, 2019 - 3:00 PM - ALT; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

14 minutes ago, freester said:

Bots is responsible for this soft cupcake team. Getting rid of Kane was just as bad as getting rid of ROR and hirin Housley 

Kane was a UFA at the end of last season.

Do you really think there was even a tiny chance that he'd have signed with the Sabres? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't believe Phil is the problem, nor Jason.

I believe the mess left by Tim needs a bit of time to correct. Now Jason should have acted this season, I agree, but I can't really fault him to error on the side of caution. If they don't come out next season as a playoff favorite, fire the owners.

In the mean time, UPL records his 6th shut out, recording a 41 of 41 saves.

Nylander, Olofsson and O'Regan look promising, and the off season should be fairly telling.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I believe the mess left by Tim needs a bit of time to correct. Now Jason should have acted this season, I agree, but I can't really fault him to error on the side of caution. If they don't come out next season as a playoff favorite, fire the owners.

Ok why aren’t they playing hard then.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Relative to finishing checks and being physical Jack basically said “other teams do it, why not us” 

Skinner said he would like to see more response.   Reinhart said it too   

Ok, what forwards are going to play that way?  Larry.  Girgs ??? 

What defensemen?  Don’t even talk about Bogo, he has not been fighting or very physical since November.  Risto will only cross check after the whistle.  

Every team in the league knows we can be pushed around.  This goes back to the Florida game were Skinner was slammed and we did nothing, blew the lead and folded.   We are just not a team that stands up and is accounted for.  The Avs are not a physical team yet they came out blasting.  Sure we answered, but when we answer we cannot play an honest game and muster shot attempts.  Today we could not do both against a mediocre team.  

Phil said we have to “execute before we get physical”.   His interview just makes me know that he is not the guy. 

The entire postgame was about this team not standing up.  You guys that argue with me about the response, or lack of, by this team need to watch this postgame.  Our three best forwards all said we need to be more physical.  Bots needs to get us the guys that make the other teams respect our top players.

Why not them, are they looking for someone else to do the dirty work, they have a free license to be as physical as they want but refuse. Can't cry about it, do something about it, this team turtles when they get physicalled ( if thats a word). Look in the mirror dudes and push back, really it's ok, you might gain a whole lot more respect if you do!

Edited by Ross Rhea

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't smaller. They lack tenacity. 

I agree, then the question is why do they lack tenacity? Is it the make up of the players personalities or the the way they are coached? I think it is both, more rugged guys are needed and a better coach is needed. IMO a mixture is needed of rugged and finesse players to accomplish a balance of hard to play against players, we don't have that, not even close. Sick of teams taking liberties. It's gotta stop!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

I’m surprised to see so few comments regarding the Dahlin hit to Rantanen.  Quite aggressive game by Dahlin.  Nice to see him show some heart.  He could see a game or fine for the elbow to the head.  

Is that when the puck was up in the air? Someone else hit him and he pinballed into Dahlin and his own teamate. Zadorovs or Eichels hits would be more worthy of a fine or suspension.

20 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Why not them, are they looking for someone else to do the dirty work, they have a free license to be as physical as they want but refuse. Can't cry about it, do something about it, this team turtles when they get physicalled ( if thats a word). Look in the mirror dudes and push back, really it's ok, you might gain a whole lot more respect if you do!

Did you watch the game?  They were the ones hitting and battling.   Skinner was tangled up in several scrums.  Eichel was, Reinhart, Dahlin.   

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Skinner and Reinhart both responded pretty well when Colorado tried to get rough. Nelson on the other hand responded to the hit on Jack like Preston Brown did to Gronk after dropping his elbow on the back of Tre White's head. Nothing! It was pretty pathetic on his part.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That lack tenacity? Botterill certainly hasn't. He's been pretty adamant about getting  guys that battle.

Look at Bots acquisitions.  Skinner will battle but he is guy you don’t want in the box.  Berglund and Sobotka were two of the few softies on St Louis. Tage  does not battle.  Pilut, no battle.  Beaulieu will battle but he was traded. Scandy, not really.  Pommer, not really.  Mitts, no.  Wilson, yes a bit.  

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Sabres outhit the Avs 36-26. Y’all should be happy. They won!

Yes they did outhit them and I hate this stat. You can bump into an opposing player on the way to the bench and you'll be credited with a hit. It's a very misleading stat. Sabres had maybe 10-12 hits that were truly hits. Either way, this team cant play both styles with the lineup they have. No "tweeners" on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Sabres outhit the Avs 36-26. Y’all should be happy. They won!

Yes, they hit and they responded to the point that they had no game.  Point is the physical game took them off their game.  Phil said they need to execute and be physical.  They forgot the execute part.  Why?  Could it be the Avs had something to do with it? 

Today was one of their fewest shots and shot attempts of the season.  It’s more than hitting, it’s finishing checks when they are there and gaining control of the puck.  Then doing something with it.  

Something is in their heads.   The talked about hitting after the game.  Teams are getting after them and they know it  

Compher was all over Skinner, Reinhart and Dahlin today. Should Girgs and Larry be doing the same thing?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

In the mean time, UPL records his 6th shut out, recording a 41 of 41 saves.

Nylander, Olofsson and O'Regan look promising, and the off season should be fairly telling.

Jason changed a bunch of players last year, and a bunch more this year.  Last year he came in 31st. This year his team started great but are now playing like a bottom 3 team.  

Jason let Lenher go and he has outplayed Hutton by a lot.  Jason traded ROR for nothing, maybe a draft pick prospect.  

Jason made good moves to bring in Sheary and Skinner, I’ll give him that   Drafting Dahlin any GM would have made that pick  

Time me to stop blaming Murray.  It was Murray who drafted your prospects  Nylander and Olofosson BTW. O’Regan is a lifetime AHL player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

And yet, having both Kane and ROR on this team and the end result WAS ACTUALLY WORSE than this season...…………..

Yet, Botterill is the problem.

Ok, got it.

Season's not over yet. Not sure many more wins are in the cards for this season for this club. Very sad. They actually might be the first club to buck the  TSN trend of being solidly in a playoff spot by US Thanksgiving, and than actually not making the playoffs!

Not much to say about this game overall, same old same old really but I want to say one thing.

If I ran this thing Nelson would not see the ice for us ever again. It's a total disgrace when your star player is hit like that and you just stand there like a dope. He should have dropped his gloves and taken it to Zadorov instantly and in the very least hit him and roughed him up a little instead of acting like a *****. Reinhart and Skinner even got in there and they shouldn't have to.Respect to them, but absolutely none for Nelson. That was his job in that moment.

There's a thread about the bruins and how are they in 3rd and I'll say if Zadorov hit Pasternak or Bergeron like that every single Bruin would have been after him, even little guys like Krug and the big boys would have gone after him on later shifts. 

There is a serious problem with a hockey team when your star players have to be your most physical guys. A total disgrace. 

JBOT GET NELSON OUT OF HERE TO SEND A MESSAGE AND END THAT ONCE AND FOR ALL. 

The good news? (maybe) Seeing Skinner jump in and get physical in that situation makes me think maybe he does in fact want to be here and to stay on Eichel's wing for a long time. Fingers crossed on that. 

Otherwise, I barely noticed the middle of our line up was even in the building. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.