2019 College UFAs

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

Burning a year off the contract is typically more for the underclassmen.  These college UFAs, most of the time, are already old enough where burning off a year doesn't actually change anything.

My ATO question was specific to the currently exempt guys.  I'd imagine that if guys like that are called up to the AHL, they do it on ATOs so that the team can retain their roster flexibility.  A roster of 46 vs. 48 really can change your immediate plans significantly.

True but also if you are a 22yr old college grad it makes financial sense to get to your non elc contract ASAP. You can do that in 2 years instead of 3 if you get immediate playing time.

I honestly do not know about the exemptions or how they work. 

23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

who is the last college free agent (undrafted) who has made an impact in the NHL?

Sadly this list doesn't include their previous team, but you'll find plenty.  It's all going to depend on your definition of "made an impact".  The recent part will also be somewhat limited since the list requires 100 games played.

Edit: And now I found this column through google which specifically describes a few.

Edited by shrader

Finally got my software together for the year. I entered the 30 or so from the initial post. It likes mostly forwards. No one is NHL ready, but the favorite is Mitchell Chaffee. The top defenseman, Cooper Zech, who is really tiny, was signed by Boston's AHL team. Saccoman is interesting because he had a very good freshman year, then a terrible sophomore, then a better junior year.

The image is 4 or the better forwards

college ufa.png

Martin St Louis ?  Adam Oates, Blake Wheeler, Ed Belfour, Joey Mullen, Dan Boyle to name 6.

Erod has done a nice job for us. I’ve always liked Tory Krug.

Sheary Has been a solid pro. Even Ruhwedel and Schaller have carved out some decent NHL Pt.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, utsvävande said:

Finally got my software together for the year. I entered the 30 or so from the initial post. It likes mostly forwards. No one is NHL ready, but the favorite is Mitchell Chaffee. The top defenseman, Cooper Zech, who is really tiny, was signed by Boston's AHL team. Saccoman is interesting because he had a very good freshman year, then a terrible sophomore, then a better junior year.

The image is 4 or the better forwards

college ufa.png

Well that makes me less excited. There aren't any good forwards? 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Therefore making him a college free agent just like Vesey and Kevin Hayes.  

Right, but the poster asked specifically about undrafted.  There's no need to dig in the heels here.  Typically it is going to be very different players that go the two routes.  Your guys are good players who have been recognized as such for years and choose to go that route.  The guys who are currently undrafted free agents today are more of the late bloomers.It is very rare for there to even be a drafted college free agent as of this calendar date, too many hoops to jump through, so they're not a relevant topic just yet.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Right, but the poster asked specifically about undrafted.  There's no need to dig in the heels here.  Typically it is going to be very different players that go the two routes.  Your guys are good players who have been recognized as such for years and choose to go that route.  The guys who are currently undrafted free agents today are more of the late bloomers.It is very rare for there to even be a drafted college free agent as of this calendar date, too many hoops to jump through, so they're not a relevant topic just yet.

Fair enough, but the Vesey, Hayes, Petersen route is becoming much more common and a good source for talent.  How much better would our goaltending future look with both Petersen and UPL in the pipeline?  

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Fair enough, but the Vesey, Hayes, Petersen route is becoming much more common and a good source for talent.  How much better would our goaltending future look with both Petersen and UPL in the pipeline?  

I forget the specifics of the timeline there, but was Petersen already gone before they drafted UPL?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.