GDT: Sabres at Blackhawks 3-7-19 @8:30PM

spndnchz

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

I haven't played in almost 18 years, but was thinking about getting back into it (I'm 33). Would looking into a league at the Piers be a good idea? I live uptown but have a car, so Yonkers/the boroughs could work.

What would be a good way to get my skills back up? I don't just want to join a league cold. Also probably gotta hit the gym first. (I'm 5'10", 175, pretty strong skater when in practice)

I never played ice hockey as a kid but growing up I played roller hockey into my teens. Went to college and didn't touch a stick for 13-14 years. 4 years ago I made the decision to start playing ice hockey and it's been such a blast. 

The piers has Division 1-8 and then a rec league which is a lower-level developmental league run by the New York City Gay Hockey association. I'm a captain of one of the rec-league teams and if you're interested I can send you info about alt-ing (if you think you're not too good for it. the goal isn't to have people come in and skate the puck up and down the ice. we have some higher level players in it who are there to help out others and pass the puck and stuff). I'm one of the better players in that league and in D8 I'd say i'm slightly above average compared to the rest of team? I also play D6 down at Aviator and I'm on the lower end of that team. The rec league is hands down my favorite because people are there to just have fun and it doesn't get weirdly over-competitive as D8 or D6 at Aviator. 

I can also try to get you to sub in in D8. My team used to need subs all the time but last year we added 5-6 players to the roster and now it's rare we need to go out and find people, but I'm friends with a bunch of people on other teams and could probably help you find a sub spot. PM me if you're interested.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Go out and skate first a couple times then do some sticks and pucks, Elmsford has a couple, other rinks further down county have some as well.  Brewster, is a little far but has pickup at 6am sat and Sunday, pretty competitive but clean.  Not sure about Chelsea could meet you at one in Westchester.  Maybe Mustache could join.

That'd be fun to hit up a stick and puck together, however, there's no way i'd ever make it out to brewster to hit the ice at 6 am as I live in park slope. I have a car though so can travel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.