GDT: Sabres at Blackhawks 3-7-19 @8:30PM

spndnchz

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Faster. Bigger. Stronger. College kids would destroy them. 

Perfect topic for an offseason  thread--both football and hockey (as above).  There are good arguments both ways in both sports.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Perfect topic for an offseason  thread--both football and hockey (as above).  There are good arguments both ways in both sports.

No, there really are not. 1975 semi-pros are not as good as 2019 College players. They would get skated around and stick handled on and run into the ground. Even with college kids "being lazy" and "not playing as hard as they did in the 70's". 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, there really are not. 1975 semi-pros are not as good as 2019 College players. They would get skated around and stick handled on and run into the ground. Even with college kids "being lazy" and "not playing as hard as they did in the 70's". 

I’m not as confident as you are on this topic, but I think it would be interesting to see. It’d be close, but I think the old pros would still win.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m not as confident as you are on this topic, but I think it would be interesting to see. It’d be close, but I think the old pros would still win.

It wouldn't be close. It would be 12-1 or something. Rick Martin the top player on the Sabres in 1975 was 5'11" 180lbs. The top player on Boston College is 6'3" 201lbs and I would bet all the money I have is in better shape pound for pound than Martin was in his prime. Let alone the fact every defender at the college rank can skate backwards and turn around without falling. They pass better, skate better, shoot better. They workout and train more/better. It just wouldn't be close. 

When I got into hockey I watched a bunch of the older games and I was always surprised that it was so much slower and that not everyone was a good skater. Those were great teams and players for their time but it isn't the same now. It is why you shouldn't compare 99 to 87. Different era and different overall talent level. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Having played with “scrub” pros from the early 80’s (albeit in their advanced age) and high level junior players, I think you’re underestimating just how good an NHL nobody is. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It wouldn't be close. It would be 12-1 or something. Rick Martin the top player on the Sabres in 1975 was 5'11" 180lbs. The top player on Boston College is 6'3" 201lbs and I would bet all the money I have is in better shape pound for pound than Martin was in his prime. Let alone the fact every defender at the college rank can skate backwards and turn around without falling. They pass better, skate better, shoot better. They workout and train more/better. It just wouldn't be close. 

It would have to be a final four team. And i think it would still be close,... if they all got to use th3 same equipment.

Edited by SwampD

1 minute ago, IrwinNelson said:

Having played with “scrub” pros from the early 80’s (albeit in their advanced age) and high level junior players, I think you’re underestimating just how good an NHL nobody is. 

I am not saying they are not good. I am saying that college kids in 2019 in their prime, are better then pros in 1975 in their prime. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I am not saying they are not good. I am saying that college kids in 2019 in their prime, are better then pros in 1975 in their prime. 

I would guess the top 10% of Division 1 skaters are better than the bottom 75% of 1975 pros. But I’m not sure just any d1 team is going to be a Stanley Cup runner up. 

3 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

I would guess the top 10% of Division 1 skaters are better than the bottom 75% of 1975 pros. But I’m not sure just any d1 team is going to be a Stanley Cup runner up. 

I would guess the top 50% of DI skaters are better then the bottom 95% of 1975 pros. Go back and watch those games. Guys are falling the game is slow. The first steps are choppy. It wouldn't be close. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would guess the top 50% of DI skaters are better then the bottom 95% of 1975 pros. Go back and watch those games. Guys are falling the game is slow. The first steps are choppy. It wouldn't be close. 

Pros are made by their hands. I think your numbers are way off.

I have to go. Let me know if we get back to the "the college kids are lazy compared to the 1975 players" argument. 

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Pros are made by their hands. I think your numbers are way off.

Really? Name a guy with great hands in the modern NHL who can't skate. There are players on our team with great hands that are bad because they literally can't keep up with the game. As a matter of fact, we have discussed it ad nauseam on this very board. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I have to go. Let me know if we get back to the "the college kids are lazy compared to the 1975 players" argument. 

Really? Name a guy with great hands in the modern NHL who can't skate. There are players on our team with great hands that are bad because they literally can't keep up with the game. As a matter of fact, we have discussed it ad nauseam on this very board. 

Also how many college players exist and get playing time who have awful hands? 

Reinhardt.

Apparently.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Reinhardt.

Apparently.

Reinhart skates fine. He isn't fast and something I have repeatedly tried to pound into this board is not being fast is not the same as being a bad skater. His agility and quickness are very good and that's just as important as being fast. Tage Thompson is faster than Sam Reinhart. Reinhart is a better skater. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart skates fine. He isn't fast and something I have repeatedly tried to pound into this board is not being fast is not the same as being a bad skater. His agility and quickness are very good and that's just as important as being fast. Tage Thompson is faster than Sam Reinhart. Reinhart is a better skater. 

It was a joke. Reinhart has been my favorite Sabre since he joined the team.

I still think you are wrong about the pros of yesteryear. It would be much closer than you think.

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

When I got into hockey I watched a bunch of the older games and I was always surprised that it was so much slower and that not everyone was a good skater. Those were great teams and players for their time but it isn't the same now. It is why you shouldn't compare 99 to 87. Different era and different overall talent level. 

So let's start the thread.  It's basically the offseason anyway.

Edited by Eleven

Well I caught the Last 8 minutes of the 1st and then whole 2nd, then I left to meet a friend, and completely let the game to chance..... I woke up to see the score and watch the highlights...... Oooo boy, do we suck at playing defense. Hutton needs to be better, sure, but that Defense would make Carey price seem pedestrian. 

Also, I saw another instance (Sheary) with a clean 3 on 2, had a man going and had an excellent shooting lane, he then made a terrible, uneccessary pass, and boom, odd man the other way. When are these guys going to get a killer instinct about anything, no nose for the net, no Puck IQ, no tenacity, no good forecheck. It's shows the culture right there in that very play, try and be pretty, no hard nose hockey. 

I want Erod to be made an A simply because he's the only player out there lately that seems to be doing those things. I'm mostly joking, but man it's a shame to see this team and call it a team. 

We got goals from, OK, Sobotka, Bogo and Montour and still lost 5-4, that's secondary scoring, that's what we've been waiting for. Unfortunatley it comes at the price of not playing any D. If any of Jack, Skins, Dahlin were "on" we win, shaking my damn head. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The look on Bogo's face when he bore down on goal will send @New Scotland (NS) back to the smoke shack.

There are two habits of hockey players I would eradicate if I ever got a head coaching gig — dogging it to the bench on a line change and coasting behind the play while the opponent breaks in on goal, as if there's no possibility the opponent could score on a rebound or something. Montour has quickly learned the Sabre way.

Make that three — the reckless attempted stick lift that ends up two minutes for high sticking.

+1287, my friend.  You need to update.

That look on Bogosie sent me to the shack alright, but not the smoke shack ... 'twas the Love Shack ........ ? 

I do not have any more time then it took to look at the score sheet.

So, what has happened to the primary scoring?

The difference appears to be that the Hawks big 3 brought their 'A' games, while the Sabres big 3 did not.

Back in the day I would have loved the point for the tie against the Hawks, but not yesterday.

Who's next and when.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I remember when Hall of Fame defenseman Pierre Pilote played for the Bisons, back in the 1950s, he was not adept at skating backwards.  He often fell down, but eventually became an NHL All Star.  It truly was a different game back than.

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

Yeah, I skate there on Saturday/Sundays. On the weekdays I play in the prospect park and yesterday was out at Aviator (Floyd Bennett Field). Got smoked last night 7-2. Still more entertaining than the Sabres.

We start our winter playoff sat night, had a bye first round, lost first 3 games then ran off 7 straight. Playing pickup thurs mornings in Brewster and skating or sticks and pucks thurs in Yonkers

19 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Yeah, I skate there on Saturday/Sundays. On the weekdays I play in the prospect park and yesterday was out at Aviator (Floyd Bennett Field). Got smoked last night 7-2. Still more entertaining than the Sabres.

15 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

We start our winter playoff sat night, had a bye first round, lost first 3 games then ran off 7 straight. Playing pickup thurs mornings in Brewster and skating or sticks and pucks thurs in Yonkers

I haven't played in almost 18 years, but was thinking about getting back into it (I'm 33). Would looking into a league at the Piers be a good idea? I live uptown but have a car, so Yonkers/the boroughs could work.

What would be a good way to get my skills back up? I don't just want to join a league cold. Also probably gotta hit the gym first. (I'm 5'10", 175, pretty strong skater when in practice)

6 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I haven't played in almost 18 years, but was thinking about getting back into it (I'm 33). Would looking into a league at the Piers be a good idea? I live uptown but have a car, so Yonkers/the boroughs could work.

What would be a good way to get my skills back up? I don't just want to join a league cold. Also probably gotta hit the gym first. (I'm 5'10", 175, pretty strong skater when in practice)

Go out and skate first a couple times then do some sticks and pucks, Elmsford has a couple, other rinks further down county have some as well.  Brewster, is a little far but has pickup at 6am sat and Sunday, pretty competitive but clean.  Not sure about Chelsea could meet you at one in Westchester.  Maybe Mustache could join.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.