The Positives we can take away this year...

Gatorman0519

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Likely not. But we would probably have a productive 2nd line. Which we sorely lack. Biggest issue overall with the team is our goaltending currently is no better than last season, possibly worse right now.

And without Skinner just how good would the top line be? Of course, everything is subjective to the "what if".

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I didn't say the trade was good.  All I said is the despite not having ROR this team is a better team then last year.  I don't think that is even debatable.  We have more wins, more points, scored more goals and given up less then last year.  Could this team be even better had we kept ROR?  Possibly.  The one thing I know for sure is that keeping Kane would have made acquiring Skinner highly unlikely.  Sorry.  Also had we kept Kane (who didn't want to be here) and ROR, we'd wouldn't have Skinner, and probably wouldn't have had Montour, Sheary and others.  ROR and Kane would be an additional 14.5 mill in cap and we currently stand at 76 mill without Baloo (2.4) and Berglund (3+).  You do the math.

I hear ya. I wasn't trying to put all those justifications on you, either. It was more of a compilation of various arguments different posters have made over the time since the trade. 

We probably still could have gotten Skinner without moving O'Reilly but we most likely would have needed to move Kane at least. 

Skinner            Eichel          Mittelstadt 

Sheary             O'Reilly        Reinhart

Smith              Rodriguez    Okposo

Girgensons     Larsson       Pominville

Theoretically I think that forward group would have fit under the cap for this season, plus we still could have picked up Montour using the San Jose pick for Kane. If not we could have bribed some team with something like a second round pick and a prospect to take on Pominville's last season under contract.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

No.  There is no but.  If we trade Reinhart, we'll regret it for years to come.  He is in that second tier, just behind the stars, doesn't have an ego, makes everyone better, and puts up near-star numbers.  Losing him wouldn't be as bad as losing Drury, but it would be almost as bad as losing Briere.

Can't agree with this one. No way is it like Drury or Briere. First off, in any trade it depends on what you bring back. Any one player for a different kind of player can be a good trade maybe even for both teams. Reinhart has come into his own as a player and I think what you see now is what you will get but there are still things about his game I don't like. Eichel needs a faster sniper or a bigger more physical guy on that wing (depending on your philosophy) and not an inbetweener which is what Reinhart is. If we can build a team that allows him to be a solid 2nd line guy he can fit, but if Reinhart is our top winger we will suck. 

I wouldn't trade Eichel or Dahlin. Anyone else is up for grabs and it depends on what comes back. 

23 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Ottawa?

They're rebuilding. Here's a story that claims they have six "tier two" prospects (a level below the Dahlins, Matthewses and McDavid-types). Would you trade a rebuild that's just starting and has some very good pieces for a rebuild that hasn't gotten anywhere?

46 minutes ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

Better than last year and we've seen some flashes of what they could potentially become.

That sums it up for this year. 

We've also seen too many flashes of the same garbage that we've seen for the past decade.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You don't think?

Wow, I wonder what your definition of warrior is.

Hey the guy is tough, no doubt.   He took that hit two years ago.  Have not seen a warrior out there this season. Solid defenseman though. 

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

We've also seen too many flashes of the same garbage that we've seen for the past decade.  

Agreed. We've seen more than flashes. Overall, I doubt there is anyone that visits this board who is not disappointed with the results of this season. There are many unanswered questions at this point. The next 6 months will tell us if JBot has what it takes to be a long term, successful GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

Few things:

1. Acquisition of Skinner proving that Jack's game is elevated when he has a winger who can keep up with him (and can shoot).

2. Dahlin playing every game this year proving that he is not only talented, but durable.

3. Sam playing at a high level for a complete season (to date).

Honorable mention - Angry Larry has had a good rebound year as a role player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.