Jason Botterill Please Listen to the 5-5:30 PM WGR Segment with Travis Yost

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yost didn't really break the first bold down, but to me doesn't this start and stop at Risto?

We have three good forwards, who — far and away — get the bulk of ice time. Rodrigues' ice time has gone up as he's shown he's deserved it. Scandella's has dropped. Housley has been forced to feed minutes to three inconsistent kids (Tage, Casey, Rasmus) as part of the organizational development plan. And the rest of his forwards aren't good and get similar amounts of ice time.

Yost said it himself: we have too many bad players. Why does Sobotka get the minutes he does? Who the hell else are you going to use in those situations? Probably Larsson and Girgensons, who are the guys who do get those minutes.

As for the second bold: Botterill made exactly the types of moves Yost is calling for in Skinner and Montour.

Final bold, the window for success is RIGHT NOW? When our #2 centre still isn't shaving, our goalie is a rookie and our franchise cornerstone defenceman is 18? Jack Eichel won't be good forever, but there is a reasonable chance he'll be good for another 10 years.

Good stuff.   I’ll add he double downed on the “right now”  by suggesting Dahlin will be in his prime soon and Jack is in his prime now.   I’ve shared this before but the timeline is not on Jack.  JB has a plan to develop the blue line and it is tied to Rasmus playing first line minutes.  I’ll reiterate your point.  He is only 18.  Drew Doughty dominated by year 3/4. Rasmus will do the same, but not next year either.  

He made a lot of other salient points, especially the goaltending (and I think you added and I agree - timely goaltending).   Or was that Perrault Forever, I forget.......  Some questionable decision on line ups by PH, sure.  But our time is not right now.  There is no acceleration needed.  

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Travis suggested the save percentage for the last 2 months or so was alone  bad enough to support a lost 6 points in the standings.  

But let's not forget his much larger points which were: 1) this team is just not good or one with enough talent to be a playoff team.  2) Neither Botterill or Housley have given an "A" effort this season. 3) the measure of a HC should be his ability to find ways to give minutes to the best players and steal minutes away from the bad players.  Housley hasn't done that all year long and continues to make fundamental mistakes in terms of who is on the ice and for how long. 4) Unlike other organizations trying to put it all together, like Edmonton, the Sabres are not particularly strapped b/c of a lack of cap space.  We should have the ability to move players and Travis suggested that deals are there to be made and we have a lot of contracts that actually can be moved.    We should not have to "pay" other teams to trade for our player contracts with additional draft picks or other capital to offset the trade. 

So, where's the movement?  If Sabotka is on this team next year, my head will explode...and he very well might be.

This organization does not adequately assess talent or efficiently use the talent it has.

He also points out that our window for success is RIGHT NOW.  Yet Botterill is on the "lets take our time" plan.

But look at how many blatantly bad turnovers this team makes that gives the other team point blank scoring chances in situations where the Sabres have the puck and the goalie has no reason to think they are in any danger...I mean a tape to tape pass directly onto the other team's forward's stick while the D man is alone down beneath the red line is staple of this team over the past 3 months...realistically I think the putrid turnovers in our own zone leading to wide open chances for the other team likely explains most if not ALL of the poor 5 v 5 save percentage

4 hours ago, ... said:

Poignant analysis.

Layman Recap:

Everything sucks.  Isolating all other suckage, even the goalies suck.

Lots of players suck and should be traded for players that don't suck.  Many of those players that suck have sucked for years, no improvement is expected, and the GM needs to clean them out.

From the rumors swirling at the deadline, a surprising number of players that don't suck may be available.

Sabres have better cap space than most to get players that don't suck.

• Haha (+1) 4

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m happy to see someone finally focusing on the goaltending.

its hardly the only issue, but it really seems to have gotten a free pass during our free fall.

They have the same problem Lehner had last year:  Every game.  EVERY GAME, goaltending gives up at least one goal it shouldn't.  Linus has had a terrible time not getting up to the post for shots coming from the side of the net.  Plus he and Hutts both have a leakage problem where they get most of it but then it dribbles through.  Both goalies were playing out of their minds during the streak but since then they've just allowed too many soft goals.  That, as much as anything else, is the reason for the team's malaise. 

Reinhart alluded to it and caught flak for it.  Maybe that kind of thing needs to stay in the locker room, but you know what?  He wasn't lying.

The #fancystats on the goalies are worrisome and believable IMHO, especially when one considers that it's highly likely that the same 2 guys are back in net next year.

JB's decision to bring in Hutton, and the lousy results, also remind of @dudacek's concerns about JB's talent evaluation chops.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The #fancystats on the goalies are worrisome and believable IMHO, especially when one considers that it's highly likely that the same 2 guys are back in net next year.

JB's decision to bring in Hutton, and the lousy results, also remind of @dudacek's concerns about JB's talent evaluation chops.

Yeah I’m getting the same worry.  Year #2 did not look so good either.  

Lost in all this goalie sauce is the fact that Yost also joked about how the real Vezina trophy is called the Jack Adams Award. My only hope is that we are watching a really young team, with a first time head coach, going through some growing pains and they will eventually figure it out.

Please let this be true.

• Like (+1) 5

In order to win in  the NHL your team defense, especially the last line of defense, needs to be stellar.  Goals are rare.  Each winning team has few scorers, but they are better at preventing goals than the average teams.

The Sabres had that during the streak.  Many wins were in OT, by 1 goal.  Since then they don't.  The Sabres are not very sound defensively and when the goalies are not playing lights out the Sabres will lose more often than win.  We have seen this recently.  The goalies have not played well enough, but overall team defense is not what it was earlier.  I'm not sure what the solution is, but they really need to tighten things up defensively.  I really think that it comes down to experience and maturity at the NHL level mostly, with some upgrades in talent also welcome.

I am not worried about secondary scoring.

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

Objectively, it's not true. Not all goalies are the same.

Dominik Hasek in not in the hall of fame because Smehlik was great at getting the puck out and Varada was money when it came to putting it in the net. Randy Ireland is not a footnote because Perreault sucked.

The NHL is tight and hockey games can be won and lost by a whiff on a routine play or the right save at the right time.

The same is 100% true for the defenders. Aren't they supposed to make routine plays as well, like clearing the zone and not turn the puck over? It goes both ways. You remember when that puck trickles through Ullmark's pads, but how many times have the Sabres puked up the puck in their own end which led to a scoring chance? I'd say a lot more often. Blaming goalies is like blaming QB's.

Does it go both ways? Ive never read a critical word about a goalie’s performance beside your avatar, or a suggestion that they should have any accountability for a loss. 

Yost says average - not stellar, average - play by the goalies over the past few months would have resulted in 6 more points. Do you agree?

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The same is 100% true for the defenders. Aren't they supposed to make routine plays as well, like clearing the zone and not turn the puck over? It goes both ways. You remember when that puck trickles through Ullmark's pads, but how many times have the Sabres puked up the puck in their own end which led to a scoring chance? I'd say a lot more often. Blaming goalies is like blaming QB's.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hockey shouldn't even have goaltenders. If the forwards and defense are too weak to prevent a shot on goal than it deserves to be counted on the scoreboard. To expect the keeper to really do anything other than give his face a bath with the water bottle is insane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

There definitely are themes that come through louder than others.  That said, my 2 biggest laments continue to be (well, right behind not getting a true 2C ;)) Hutton's injury and Eichel's injury.  Eichel finally is playing like he did prior to the injury, but that in itself isn't enough to overcome 1-2 weak goals most  games.

Have also been on the ship Scandella out bandwagon.  But not to simply punt him, send him  out as part of a package to improve the forwards.

I know Yost mainly used Sobotka but if I remember right he was talking about 5-6 guys under contract.  They are trade-able contracts to just get out of them.  I think Scandella is one of those that I'm not sure can be packaged to just get out of paying him next year. 

58 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I know Yost mainly used Sobotka but if I remember right he was talking about 5-6 guys under contract.  They are trade-able contracts to just get out of them.  I think Scandella is one of those that I'm not sure can be packaged to just get out of paying him next year. 

Where are the advance stats guys when we need them? Has Scandella really devolved to the point that we will pay someone just to take him?

as far as regular stats go:

He's 115th in +/- at  -10, better than Vlasic, Brodin, Lindholm, Werenski, Ekman-Larsson, Montour, Gostisbehere, Yandle and Doughty

He's 116th in ice time at 17:55 a game, around guys like Sergachev, Dermott, Zadorov, Dunn, Shattenkirk and Girardi

He's 124th in points at 11, around guys like Hjalmarsson, Pysyk, Carlo, Tanev, Manson, Dehaan and Phaneuf

He's 115th in blocked shots with 64, around Karlsson, Severson, Leddy, Gardiner, Butcher, Ekbld and Subban

115th in hits, alongside guys like Krug, Brodin, Subban, Giordano, Karlsson, Josi, Barrie, and Carlson

111 in takeaways, 100th in giveways...

There are 186 starting positions on the blueline.

These numbers show him as a weak 4/strong 5 this year, which is more or less what the eye test as shown as well.

Are we really going to pay someone to take him off our hands so we can bring back Justin Falk?

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Where are the advance stats guys when we need them? Has Scandella really devolved to the point that we will pay someone just to take him?

He's 115th in +/- at  -10, better than Vlasic, Brodin, Lindholm, Werenski, Ekman-Larsson, Montour, Gostisbehere, Yandle and Doughty

He's 116th in ice time at 17:55 a game, around guys like Sergachev, Dermott, Zadorov, Dunn, Shattenkirk and Girardi

He's 124th in points at 11, around guys like Hjalmarsson, Pysyk, Carlo, Tanev, Manson, Dehaan and Phaneuf

He's 115th in blocked shots with 64, around Karlsson, Severson, Leddy, Gardiner, Butcher, Ekbld and Subban

115th in hits, alongside guys like Krug, Brodin, Subban, Giordano, Karlsson, Josi, Barrie, and Carlson

These numbers show him as a weak 4/strong 5 this year, which is more or less what the eye test as shown as well.

Are we really going to pay someone to take him off our hands so we can bring back Justin Falk?

Scandella is terrible; he's just another negative Sabre player.

I.E., when he's on the ice, we don't have the puck, we don't shoot the puck, we spend more time in D zone than O zone, etc...

Reinhart is one of the very few positive players on the team who looks good in connection with stats like this.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think that it’s an either/or (Scandella or Falk) situation. ? 

I’m not sure... but $4M/year seems pretty expensive for a good 5th defenceman. I’m willing to be wrong on that ?

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

You'd have to take that up with Yost.  I'm just merely pointing out what he said.  His belief is that there's tradeable contracts that the Sabres should get out of.  Sobotka, Hunwick and Scandella were mentioned with Sobotka being the "slam dunk" and that he'd trade him for sure.  He said we should be looking for opportunities to displace these perennial under performing players in order to sign others that aren't.   

19 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

You'd have to take that up with Yost.  I'm just merely pointing out what he said.  His belief is that there's tradeable contracts that the Sabres should get out of.  Sobotka, Hunwick and Scandella were mentioned with Sobotka being the "slam dunk" and that he'd trade him for sure.  He said we should be looking for opportunities to displace these perennial under performing players in order to sign others that aren't.   

There is no way anyone takes Vlad without a “sweetener”.  He should be bought out in June.  My only concern is that he isn’t b/c he is tied to a certain trade, and the optics would confirm a sense of failure for JB.   A good market trader recognizes a bad investment and is not afraid to sell.  A great trader recognizes a bad investment and “short sells”.   In this analogy going one step beyond a Vlad buyout is starting Tage in Roch next year.  

On 3/5/2019 at 7:43 PM, dudacek said:

All I've been reading here lately is Housley is awful. Scandella is awful. We have to trade Risto. And Botterill is sleeping.

Scandella, yes, he's awful...I think Bogosian is too.

But I think Ristolainen could be a very good 2nd-pairing defenseman...the problem is, Housley overuses him because there are not enough good defensemen on this team yet. (Being paired with guys like Gorges and Scandella hasn't helped either.)

I think in a couple years Dahlin-Borgen, Pilut-Ristolainen, Samuelsson-Montour could be a very good top-6.

Eventually Laaksonen could replace Ristolainen when his contract is up...Dahlin-Borgen, Samuelsson-Montour, Pilut/Bryson-Laaksonen.

It'd be nice if we got lucky like Nashville and Anaheim (among other teams) have in the past with our defensive prospects turning into quality players.

2 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Scandella, yes, he's awful...I think Bogosian is too.

But I think Ristolainen could be a very good 2nd-pairing defenseman...the problem is, Housley overuses him because there are not enough good defensemen on this team yet. (Being paired with guys like Gorges and Scandella hasn't helped either.)

I think in a couple years Dahlin-Borgen, Pilut-Ristolainen, Samuelsson-Montour could be a very good top-6.

Eventually Laaksonen could replace Ristolainen when his contract is up...Dahlin-Borgen, Samuelsson-Montour, Pilut/Bryson-Laaksonen.

It'd be nice if we got lucky like Nashville and Anaheim (among other teams) have in the past with our defensive prospects turning into quality players.

He has been paired with McCabe more than Scandella this season. Almost 200minutes more to be precise. Granted his corsi is much better with McCabe. Scandella and Risto together are a drag on possession with a 41.06% corsi... barf. Another strike against Housley. 

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

There is no way anyone takes Vlad without a “sweetener”.  He should be bought out in June.  My only concern is that he isn’t b/c he is tied to a certain trade, and the optics would confirm a sense of failure for JB.   A good market trader recognizes a bad investment and is not afraid to sell.  A great trader recognizes a bad investment and “short sells”.   In this analogy going one step beyond a Vlad buyout is starting Tage in Roch next year.  

Then you know more than a respected analyst.  

JBot is terrible at drafting players - the 2020 Sabres draft class should be better. 

3 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Then you know more than a respected analyst.  

JBot is terrible at drafting players - the 2020 Sabres draft class should be better. 

I respect many of his other takes.   Just saying I cannot see any GM/pro scout looking at this guy and saying “Yeah, I need some that”.   and willing to take on a $3.5m cap hit on top of it.  Do you?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I respect many of his other takes.   Just saying I cannot see any GM/pro scout looking at this guy and saying “Yeah, I need some that”.   and willing to take on a $3.5m cap hit on top of it.  Do you?

Not necessarily but Yost says it's an "easy" contract to move.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.