Eddie Shack

bob_sauve28

1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

These pics, and the guys in them are the reason I'm still a fan. Can't shake those childhood memories. I was 8 when the Sabres were born and because of them in the 70's, I'm compelled to still follow crap like the past month

I was a bit older (14) when the Sabres broke into the league.  Hard to believe now, but they went from an expansion bottom dweller to a Cup finalist in 5 short seasons.  Makes the current situation look even worse to these old eyes.  Of course, the league was different back then, much more player movement, no salary cap.....but still.

18 minutes ago, Sabre Dance said:

I was a bit older (14) when the Sabres broke into the league.  Hard to believe now, but they went from an expansion bottom dweller to a Cup finalist in 5 short seasons.  Makes the current situation look even worse to these old eyes.  Of course, the league was different back then, much more player movement, no salary cap.....but still.

It helps when you get these guys in the first 4 drafts:

Gilbert Perreault
Rick Martin
Craig Ramsay
Bill Hajt
Jim Schoenfeld
Larry Carriere
Peter McNab
Lee Fogolin
Danny Gare

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tondas said:

Gilbert Perreault
Rick Martin
Craig Ramsay
Bill Hajt
Jim Schoenfeld
Larry Carriere
Peter McNab
Lee Fogolin
Danny Gare

Getting Crozier in the expansion draft was huge too.

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

Gilbert Perreault
Rick Martin
Craig Ramsay
Bill Hajt
Jim Schoenfeld
Larry Carriere
Peter McNab
Lee Fogolin
Danny Gare

Imlach did a helluva job.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Gilbert Perreault - Eichel
Rick Martin - Mittelstadt
Craig Ramsay - Reinhart
Bill Hajt - Guhle
Jim Schoenfeld - Dahlin
Larry Carriere - Samuelsson
Peter McNab -Asplund
Lee Fogolin -Borgen
Danny Gare -Nylander

Just not going to cut it, compared to our childhood memories, is it?

That team broke through five years after expansion. For the record, this is year five, post tank.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just not going to cut it, compared to our childhood memories, is it?

That team broke through five years after expansion. For the record, this is year five, post tank.

Pretty sure no one on this year's team will outperform Bert, Rico or Gare.

2 hours ago, mphs mike said:

These pics, and the guys in them are the reason I'm still a fan. Can't shake those childhood memories. I was 8 when the Sabres were born and because of them in the 70's, I'm compelled to still follow crap like the past month

I can totally relate to what you are writing here.  At some point in my early childhood development, also in the 1970s, my brain was programmed to equate watching a Sabres hockey game with happiness, excitement, and a great use of my time.

All these years later, my brain is still programmed in that manner, even though I generally do not enjoy NHL hockey anywhere close to the level I used to enjoy it at.  I've changed, and the game has changed dramatically.  Both diminish my enjoyment of watching hockey. 

But if I wasn't going to abandon the team over the last 8 years (has to be the ugliest era in the team's history) I will never abandon the team! 

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I remember being ecstatic getting tickets to the annual open practice.  No way to get a ticket to a real game back then.

Milk Carton cut out application ...  then weeks checking the mail box.   EMAIL and Websites!

23 hours ago, Tondas said:

image.thumb.png.b21046ef02e518d4d505d49e352d4742.png

This one's for @R_Dudley.  Don't mean to turn this into a reminiscence thread, but it makes me feel better after the travesty that is this year.  And who doesn't love the 70's Seals.

Yep and followed watching them Seals in Cleveland for a couple years.

We had a solid core and playoffs were an annual expectation. 

Hard to follow now after years of very limited expectations.   

3 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Yep and followed watching them Seals in Cleveland for a couple years.

We had a solid core and playoffs were an annual expectation. 

Hard to follow now after years of very limited expectations.   

Dudley must have had some hidden injury in the late 70s...Because he used to be very fast..Then in his later years with the sabres it looked like he was skating with leg weights on.

-And he wasnt old at all.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tondas said:

Gilbert Perreault
Rick Martin
Craig Ramsay
Bill Hajt
Jim Schoenfeld
Larry Carriere
Peter McNab
Lee Fogolin
Danny Gare

staggering. punch imlach help us!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, Tondas said:

Gilbert Perreault
Rick Martin
Craig Ramsay
Bill Hajt
Jim Schoenfeld
Larry Carriere
Peter McNab
Lee Fogolin
Danny Gare

Yes, it did help tremendously.  But, when they were drafted (with a couple of exceptions), they weren't the household names that they became later.  They were all just young, hungry guys looking to make good in the NHL.  And they did.  BTW, do any of the young draftees on our team now look hungry?  Mmmmm...not to my eyes.

Edited by Sabre Dance

Eddie “The Entertainer” Shack had six 20+ goal season in his career.  In 1970-71, at the twilight of a long career, he had 25 goals in 56 games for Buffalo, plus a feisty 93 PIM.  The next season he was traded for Rene Robert. 

He was a nut.  I recall him getting a Hatrick one night.  He skated out for the 1st Star award wearing a pollicemans hat that he took off a cop working in the Aud.   Hysterical guy.   He used to bob his head up and down while skating down the wing at full speed   He could agitate and he could throw his fists too.  

He would total 239 goals in 1049 NHL games, plus accumulate over 1430 PIM.  His name is on the Stanley Cup four times.   Not bad at all.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Sabre Dance said:

Yes, it did help tremendously.  But, when they were drafted (with a couple of exceptions), they weren't the household names that they became later.  They were all just young, hungry guys looking to make good in the NHL.  And they did.  BTW, do any of the young draftees on our team now look hungry?  Mmmmm...not to my eyes.

some weren't household names, but most made an immediate impact. Maybe it's harder today to do that.

19 hours ago, Sabre Dance said:

You seriously don’t think Dahlin and Mittelstadt are hungry?

To me, those guys are competitive as hell, but they are babies in a men’s league.

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

some weren't household names, but most made an immediate impact. Maybe it's harder today to do that.

It was a 20-year-old draft back then.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You seriously don’t think Dahlin and Mittelstadt are hungry?

To me, those guys are competitive as hell, but they are babies in a men’s league.

It was a 20-year-old draft back then.

I think just the first couple years, wasn't Fogolin the first underage draft pick?

49 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I think just the first couple years, wasn't Fogolin the first underage draft pick?

The first universal 18-year-old draft was 79, because of the WHA merger.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1979/79facts.html

There might have been exceptions before, but I’m not aware of them.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The first universal 18-year-old draft was 79, because of the WHA merger.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1979/79facts.html

There might have been exceptions before, but I’m not aware of them.

I used to spend a lot of time on TBD, this is so different here. I have disagreed with a few posts over the last couple days and the result was a decent conversation- I was expecting to get blasted for having a different opinion, as what normally happens over at TBD.  Quite refreshing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.