How the Hell are the Bruins the 3rd best team in hockey right now??

matter2003

1 hour ago, Sabre Dance said:

It's not the amount of talent  - it's how it''s applied.  I think the key phrase you might be searching for is "hard work".  Premier talent is worthless if the effort to use it is lackluster (lacklustre for our Canadian and British friends).

No need to misspell a word to get them to understand. They sometimes get it right.

Ok, every so often there is a thread on some forum asking people to confess what they were wrong about.  The #1 biggest thing for me is the Bruins. 

For the last 3-4 years, I have thought they would be worse each year after year..and likely one of those teams what would have a hard time even staying in the playoff race.  In 2015-2016 they missed the playoffs...their top 4 or 5 scorers were all in their late 20's or approaching 30 (not 'over the hill', but certainly no longer getting better offensively)...and Chara was the best player on that team in recent years and he just turned 38.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t watch the Bruins. Are they entertaining to watch?

I watch them when I can and no, they are not very entertaining. Not very fast, but can be explosive on offense. They also play very physical and are excellent at taking up space in their own end. They surprise me every year. I didn't think they were a lock for the playoffs this year. Missed that one by a mile. 

I've seen a few of their games so I can answer this.

1) Really good D. Any of their top 8 could play on our team.

2) Good team defense and a solid team concept. They pass the puck really well and everybody does their job and knows where the other guy will be so they can move the puck well and control it. Guys fill in spots when their D go in deep. It's unity.

3) Good goaltending. Big saves at big moments.

4) Great specialty teams.

5) Grit and character. They don't quit and they stand up for each other. Not sure they have the talent to beat Tampa in a 7 game series but the other night they beat them up and intimidated them. 

6) Lastly, Bergeron is the best 2 way player in the league and hate to say it, but Marchand and him together are really really good.

There's a style and an attitude in Boston and you buy in to it or you are shipped out of town. DeBrusk bought in for example and is a solid young player. Donato had talent but played soft and poor defensively and they shipped him out. Management brings in players they think will be "Bruins" like Wagner who is now a fan favorite. It's a different culture.

I'd say they are a longshot for the cup but if the refs let them play physical and their top players stay healthy they could win it all and give Chara a retirement present.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bruins have three elite forwards in Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron then fill out their lineup with a good mix of talent from there. Their defense isn’t phenomenal man to man but it’s a defense I’d be happy to have here.

Rask is a top-tier goalie.

All of that shows me their demise has been significantly overestimated.

7 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t watch the Bruins. Are they entertaining to watch?

They win, so does it matter?

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

One thing to add though, their core is all over 30 and they could see a huge drop off in a few years. 

Or they retool with a couple of younger replacement guys and keep going. You don't have to blow up a team and rebuild once a few guys get into their 30's

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The Bruins have three elite forwards in Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron then fill out their lineup with a good mix of talent from there. Their defense isn’t phenomenal man to man but it’s a defense I’d be happy to have here.

Rask is a top-tier goalie.

All of that shows me their demise has been significantly overestimated.

Just like all of their friggin' teams.....................................

I see them often as I do business in New England.  I like watching them because I like the old school, never die nature of their club  

You all summed it up with goaltending, solid defense, hard work, intimidating play, and just enough top tier talent.  They have a culture and they expect to win.   Look at the players they traded, some fine talent, but they keep going   

Lucic said it all after he ran Miller and was asked post game if the Bruins would have tolerated that to their goalie.  He said  “ We have a different kind of team here”.  

The Bruins are a good example of how those flashy new young toys have become too big of an obsession. If this team were to trade for a 30-year-old top-six forward Sabres fans would meltdown talking about how they’re washed up and don’t fit the timeline.

This team needs talent, regardless of age. Start winning and you’ll keep winning if you do it right. Start somewhere and stop thinking every player either has to be 22 or Jason Pominville.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've seen a few of their games so I can answer this.

1) Really good D. Any of their top 8 could play on our team.

2) Good team defense and a solid team concept. They pass the puck really well and everybody does their job and knows where the other guy will be so they can move the puck well and control it. Guys fill in spots when their D go in deep. It's unity.

3) Good goaltending. Big saves at big moments.

4) Great specialty teams.

5) Grit and character. They don't quit and they stand up for each other. Not sure they have the talent to beat Tampa in a 7 game series but the other night they beat them up and intimidated them. 

6) Lastly, Bergeron is the best 2 way player in the league and hate to say it, but Marchand and him together are really really good.

There's a style and an attitude in Boston and you buy in to it or you are shipped out of town. DeBrusk bought in for example and is a solid young player. Donato had talent but played soft and poor defensively and they shipped him out. Management brings in players they think will be "Bruins" like Wagner who is now a fan favorite. It's a different culture.

I'd say they are a longshot for the cup but if the refs let them play physical and their top players stay healthy they could win it all and give Chara a retirement present.

I agree with all of this and what I got from it is simple. If you become a Bruin you prove you are worthy. If not you are gone. It's probably not just a management decision either. I assume guys like Chara and Marchand don't take kindly to weak players who coast and don't do the little things necessary to win. How many games have we complained about this player and that player not skating hard on the back check, no net front presence, or lack of checking. Not saying we need to imitate the Bruins but we can learn something from not tolerating garbage.

IMO, and this is only one case, Dahlin should sit a game. Too many gaffes. Yes he is just a teenager, but a teenager needs discipline. If your kid misses curfew they are grounded. If a Dman regardless of age continues to screw up they should sit. Send the player and the team a message. If not then everyone starts to think they can get away with stuff and next thing you know you go from a 10 game streak straight to hell.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.