GDT - Edmonton @ Sabres - March 4, 2019 - 7:00 PM EST - MSG-B; SN (a lot) & others

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Every Irishmen I know walks around kissing all the girls goodbye then leaves.

You do that at hockey games?

I like your style.

Ha! No, no. 

The "Irish goodbye" with which I am familiar refers to a guest who just mysteriously and suddenly disappears, without a word of warning or farewell.

Without bothering to Google it, my guess is that it has roots in the proverbial Irish guest who gets fall-down drunk, ends up stumbling through a door and into the night, and, with the grace of God, staggers home to bed. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m claiming that Carolina just passed us without the benefit of 2 second overall picks or the first overall. Montreal passed us and never sunk to the depths we have.  The Islanders, while equally woeful or worse, have now passed us.  

I’m claiming that great organizations don’t hold back.  

And I am pointing out that the 2 organizations you listed haven't been great in a good long time. Montreal has been ahead of us for a long time. The NYI aren't that good as evidence by their lackluster success of late. The Islanders are currently riding a boring system as far as it can take them which will be a first round exit. The Islanders are in trouble even if this year they are riding unsustainable GT. Carolina has drafted 2nd overall (last year), 12th, 13th, 5th, 7th, 5th. Carolina is okay but they literally don't have the ceiling Buffalo does at this point because they don't have a Dahlin or an Eichel on their team. 

I basically disagree with the entire premise you are trying to build off of. Your final claim too is just wrong. What "not holding back" thing has the Islanders or the Canes or the Canadians done? Not holding back is what Columbus did. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

And I am pointing out that the 2 organizations you listed haven't been great in a good long time. Montreal has been ahead of us for a long time. The NYI aren't that good as evidence by their lackluster success of late. Carolina has drafted 2nd overall (last year), 12th, 13th, 5th, 7th, 5th. 

I basically disagree with the entire premise you are trying to build off of. Your final claim too is just wrong. What "not holding back" thing has the Islanders or the Canes or the Canadians done? Not holding back is what Columbus did. 

He's probably referring to my assertion that the Sabres are not in "must win at all costs" mode. I think management has made clear they have a young team and they are moving pieces are to see what they do well and what they don't. They also made clear they don't see much top 6 talent in Rochester.

I don't know what Housley wants to see in Tage being on the 4th line, but there is a reason (a good one or not) and it isn't "must win tonight".

• Like (+1) 1

It is another year wasted. I think ROR trade was a dud but the Skinner trade was a success. Unless Botterill actually gets players properly developed and moving in the right direction, it really doesn't matter though. I need a break. This place is just awful right now. Everything is negative, everyone is jumping off the deep end. I wish the 10 game streak had never happened. 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

He's probably referring to my assertion that the Sabres are not in "must win at all costs" mode. I think management has made clear they have a young team and they are moving pieces are to see what they do well and what they don't. They also made clear they don't see much top 6 talent in Rochester.

I don't know what Housley wants to see in Tage being on the 4th line, but there is a reason (a good one or not) and it isn't "must win tonight".

Honestly if this management group were in that mode, I would be pretty mad at them. Win at all costs right now is not the answer. Fixing a decades worth of crappy scouting and no accountability are. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is another year wasted. I think ROR trade was a dud but the Skinner trade was a success. Unless Botterill actually gets players properly developed and moving in the right direction, it really doesn't matter though. I need a break. This place is just awful right now. Everything is negative, everyone is jumping off the deep end. I wish the 10 game streak had never happened. 

Honestly if this management group were in that mode, I would be pretty mad at them. Win at all costs right now is not the answer. Fixing a decades worth of crappy scouting and no accountability are. 

Well, I'm not negative about the team, but I am in the minority regarding sports consumption. I've watched more hockey this year than the past several combined. I don't fall asleep and regardless of the score - the games have been fun to watch for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Leading the charge?

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

A little Sabres history note for today's game. Rene Robert was traded to the Sabres on this day in 1972 for Eddie Shack and cash. 

I'm told he still hates Scotty Bowman for trading him.

Image result for rene robert trade to sabres pic

Good Trade

image.jpeg.4c6cbe5443627f9f38694182f71016c2.jpeg

Also Sheary will be trying to tie his Sabres high of scoring a goal in 3 straight games tonight.

Edited by jsb
Scotty Bowman note
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And I am pointing out that the 2 organizations you listed haven't been great in a good long time. Montreal has been ahead of us for a long time. The NYI aren't that good as evidence by their lackluster success of late. The Islanders are currently riding a boring system as far as it can take them which will be a first round exit. The Islanders are in trouble even if this year they are riding unsustainable GT. Carolina has drafted 2nd overall (last year), 12th, 13th, 5th, 7th, 5th. Carolina is okay but they literally don't have the ceiling Buffalo does at this point because they don't have a Dahlin or an Eichel on their team. 

Your points in the first paragraph are spot on.  I get them.  Just citing these teams because I thought at one point this season we were better than all of them.  I missed our flaws, all of us did.  The goaltending did not hold up, the defense was not as good as they looked, and lines 2 and 3 are terrible.  

My final claim is not wrong.  It’s what I believe.  Winning is not something you turn on.  Management better not be ok with losing as long as we are on whatever metric they are using.  

My entire comments had to do with SDS comments on management and expectations.  

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

I read your original comment as saying the FO is ok with where we are because they are on their plan.   I get the limited moves, the concern and care into the next signings.  The alleged build for the long haul.    I will not excuse the season.  No playoffs is another failure   Take out the streak, the team is playing near the pace of last years 31st place team.   At some point the bar needs to be raised.  

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Year wasted is a bit harsher than I would say.  The streak was great in that we got to see meaningful games longer because of it.  Disappointing year overall, per usual.   The place is not awful but lots of people are sick of losing.  

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

Well, I'm not negative about the team, but I am in the minority regarding sports consumption. I've watched more hockey this year than the past several combined. I don't fall asleep and regardless of the score - the games have been fun to watch for me.

I’m watching the same amount but liking it more. Until the past few weeks anyway.  The Philly game was the one that told me they are done.  I’ll hope for a miracle, I’m a buffalo sports fan afterall. 

Ok, I’m done.   Go Sabres. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Looking forward to this game as the Oilers are my "second team" and easily my favorite team in the NHL not named the Buffalo Sabres.

Hoping Center Ice gives us the option of the Edmonton broadcast tonight.

We're to the point where more good can come from losing than winning, so what the hell...

I just want it to be an entertaining game basically.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, SDS said:

That Penguins game last Friday was the most fun I had at a Sabres game since 2010-11 playoffs against the Flyers. Every game I have attended from that time until this year has been low-event, boring hockey with the added misery of losing the majority of the games. I know they aren't making the playoffs this year, but I have had more fun watching this year than the last 5 years combined.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha! No, no. 

The "Irish goodbye" with which I am familiar refers to a guest who just mysteriously and suddenly disappears, without a word of warning or farewell.

Without bothering to Google it, my guess is that it has roots in the proverbial Irish guest who gets fall-down drunk, ends up stumbling through a door and into the night, and, with the grace of God, staggers home to bed. 

This person is my uncle. Slams 3 or 4 Tanqueray and tonics, then poof, disappears just like the Sabres playoff chances.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I need a break. This place is just awful right now. Everything is negative, everyone is jumping off the deep end. I wish the 10 game streak had never happened. 

It’s a little more tolerable if you stay out of the game day threads in the aftermath of a loss.

Gives you more patience when the “we suck and will forever” stuff pops up elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s a little more tolerable if you stay out of the game day threads in the aftermath of a loss.

Gives you more patience when the “we suck and will forever” stuff pops up elsewhere.

Have stayed away from GDT's from ~1 hour until face off - > forever for the last couple of weeks.  Enjoying the team & games much more.  Expect that's more correlation than causation.  Eichel picked his game back up about that same time.

Edited by Taro T

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

GDT's would be more tolerable if the when the game is played the discussion was about the game. Invariably, the same people make the same "FIRE XXXXX NOW!" comments that really don't belong there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

GDTs were a ton of fun a few months back for some reason ?

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have stayed away from GDT's from ~1 hour until face off - > forever for the last couple of weeks.  Enjoying the team & games much more.  Expect that's more correlation than causation.  Eichel picked his game back up about that same time.

I feel like the exact opposite. I don't have much interest reading all of the "Fire Housley", "Is Tage good", "How sucky can we get" threads during non-game days. It's just too much of the same dreariness.

But there's something fun to me about the communal reactions of watching your team do well or poorly in real time. There's hockey knowledge here in abundance, and reading through reactions gives me some real gems of insight.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup every year a team surprises and makes the playoffs. That is a natural occurrence with having over half the league make the playoffs. That doesn't mean the team was good or that they had managed to re-tool and have more than fleeting success. 

Perhaps people forgot the hell of mediocrity that the Rotten Core Sabres had become.  Every year was the same:  The made dash to 9th and occasionally making the playoffs before an early exit.  People didn't want fleeting success, they wanted a long-term solution.  Long term solutions require long term builds.  It sucks.  But Darcy warned us there would be suffering.  He wasn't lying.

But, if by the end of Jack's contract the Sabres are a perennial Cup contender it will be worth it.  Scary to think it could take that long, but it might.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.