GDT - Edmonton @ Sabres - March 4, 2019 - 7:00 PM EST - MSG-B; SN (a lot) & others

Sabres Fan in NS

I could be wrong but this whole regime may already be doomed.  My sense is we are not ever going to be able to have a defense and a system like Nashville.  They have a rare crop of talent on defense and smart and gritty forwards.  We have none of that.  Getting outright fleeced by St Louis is an ominous sign of things to come.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I could be wrong but this whole regime may already be doomed.  My sense is we are not ever going to be able to have a defense and a system like Nashville.  They have a rare crop of talent on defense and smart and gritty forwards.  We have none of that.  Getting outright fleeced by St Louis is an ominous sign of things to come.  

I'm more than positive both Botterill and Housley are going nowhere. They'll be given this off season and next season to fix this mess. I have very high confidence that is the case. The Pegula's aren't going to keep the revolving door going imo.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I'm more than positive both Botterill and Housley are going nowhere. They'll be given this off season and next season to fix this mess. I have very high confidence that is the case. The Pegula's aren't going to keep the revolving door going imo.

Oh I agree they will be here... but in two years they may not.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Getting outright fleeced by St Louis is an ominous sign of things to come.  

It’s so awful having to read this day after day after day after day.  Do you understand that no one offered more for Ryan O’Reilly? Jason Botterill is not the reason why Ryan O’Reilly got so little return. Ryan O’Reilly is the reason. At that moment in time, that’s what he was worth on the market. Everyone knew he was available and no one offered more. Again everyone knew he was available and no one offered more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

It’s so awful having to read this day after day after day after day.  Do you understand that no one offered more for Ryan O’Reilly? Jason Botterill is not the reason why Ryan O’Reilly got so little return. Ryan O’Reilly is the reason. At that moment in time, that’s what he was worth on the market. Everyone knew he was available and no one offered more. Again everyone knew he was available and no one offered more. 

Heard this all 100 times and it will be talked about 1000 more... as it should.  That trade defines this team right now.  

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Heard this all 100 times and it will be talked about 1000 more... as it should.  That trade defines this team right now.  

Given that Ryan O’Reilly did not play in the game today I am not going to discuss this in this in the game day topic. 

If only there was a place where this has been discussed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I don’t know how to rectify the situation when one team wins because a puck bounces off a skate and we have an open net and our player stops his own goal with his own stick. Really stupid ***** has plagued this team for awhile now. 

Are the Oilers really better because of the deflected goal? Are we really worse because Pominville stopped his own shot? Skinners deflection wasn’t 1 inch to the left? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Please just lose the rest of your games and silently fade away until next year.

I really think they have to blow this thing up and trade some top talent again...none of this is working and they are miles away. Losing Skinner for nothing will be par for the golf course

If Skinner walks, that's when I really start to question whether JBot is the right guy to turn this thing around. He recently stated he isn't into the rental type players. If JS doesn't re-sign, he was basically a one year rental. Get r done GMJB

36 minutes ago, SDS said:

Personally, I don’t know how to rectify the situation when one team wins because a puck bounces off a skate and we have an open net and our player stops his own goal with his own stick. Really stupid ***** has plagued this team for awhile now. 

Are the Oilers really better because of the deflected goal? Are we really worse because Pominville stopped his own shot? Skinners deflection wasn’t 1 inch to the left? 

Yes, this game was nothing like any other game the last 3+ months. They're better tonight because they beat us. We blew a 2 goal lead at home to a team that's not very good. Are you saying it's a fluke that we are in the position we currently are in?

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Eichel was pretty good tonight.

Not entertaining though. Both teams on the ice tonight are crap after their handful of stars.  

I thought it was another game where Jack outplayed his “rival” by a substantial amount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm not surprised that Jack's two goals came on the power play (where he is forced to play with others) and unassisted. He still doesn't know how to play with others. It's astounding because he is so talented.

Just now, SDS said:

I thought it was another game where Jack outplayed his “rival” by a substantial amount. 

No way.

38 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The bottom line reality is we are a joke right now.  Their record since December speaks for itself. 

Disagree entirely. We are not a joke. We are the skeletal structure of a future good team, we just need to make a few more additions to what we have and we will turn those 1 goal losses into 1 goal wins. We will know where we are AFTER free agency. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree entirely. We are not a joke. We are the skeletal structure of a future good team, we just need to make a few more additions to what we have and we will turn those 1 goal losses into 1 goal wins. We will know where we are AFTER free agency. 

Goaltending is very average; 1 forward line worth mentioning and 1/3 of that may be gone after this season, and 1 D man worth mentioning who is currently 18. 

Mittelstadt may develop into something worth mentioning and he may not.  Risto is terrible and I think his trade value is suspect. 

That's not a skeletal structure.  That's a dearth of talent.

I've been saying this for several years now; there are not enough pieces here, not close to it, for this to become the team we all hoped and wanted it to be.  We are a long way away from "challenging for Cups".

We need 4 or 5 major pieces IMO to be a truly deep, talented team, like we had in 2006 for example.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

First, you have no idea what was offered for ROR, so I'm not sure why you pretend that you do.

Second, let's assume you are totally correct, and there was nothing better on offer.  Then it was ridiculous to trade him.

No matter how you slice and dice it, the ROR trade was a colossal failure of management and will likely set this franchise back 2 or 3 years.  You just can't give away a player of ROR's pedigree and get nothing in return and not expect to be crippled.

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Please just lose the rest of your games and silently fade away until next year.

I really think they have to blow this thing up and trade some top talent again...none of this is working and they are miles away. Losing Skinner for nothing will be par for the golf course

It's obvious how difficult it is to rebuild from nothing. I don't want to see that again

Edited by nucci

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Thing is, how do the Sabres know they don't have better options? They picked them and stuck with them come hell or high water.

I thought Nylander was better than both Tage and Casey in training camp. I've seen Smith in the NHL and I can't say he was objectively worse than Tage. O'Regan got one game, Elie 15, we haven't seen Olofsson yet. Why has Tage stayed ahead of them?

I think the answer has to be development, and I'd love to hear Botterill explain the reasons for his chosen path.

simple...Botterill has to keep playing Tage so he something to show for the worse trade I can ever recall, giving away OReilly for basically nothing. I so agree that Nylander and others should be up but they were not drafted or sign3ed by Botterill...he is on a mission to get rid of all players Timmy brought in. Maybe he (Botterill) can swing a trade with Toronto to get that really good looking player who had 3 goals last night. I think his name is Tyler Ennis. Maybe Nylander and a 1st for Ennis?

Meanwhile Joel Quenville is looking better every day...I do think there is talent here and a good coach could do much better. Babs over in TO would have this team playing much better for sure. I wonder if Skinner is not getting tired of losing now and it looks more and more like we'll lose him for nothing. That would be just about par for the course and losing Kane, OReilly then Skinner for basically nothing would in my eyes be just about enough to cost someone their job...

Edited by Sabre fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.