GDT - Edmonton @ Sabres - March 4, 2019 - 7:00 PM EST - MSG-B; SN (a lot) & others

Sabres Fan in NS

3 hours ago, SDS said:

He's probably referring to my assertion that the Sabres are not in "must win at all costs" mode. I think management has made clear they have a young team and they are moving pieces are to see what they do well and what they don't. They also made clear they don't see much top 6 talent in Rochester.

I don't know what Housley wants to see in Tage being on the 4th line, but there is a reason (a good one or not) and it isn't "must win tonight".

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Honestly if this management group were in that mode, I would be pretty mad at them. Win at all costs right now is not the answer. Fixing a decades worth of crappy scouting and no accountability are. 

I think the fact that Mitts and Tage have been on the roster all season long is enough to prove (or strongly indicate) that the team has considered this another development year.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

I think the fact that Mitts and Tage have been on the roster all season long is enough to prove (or strongly indicate) that the team has considered this another development year.

You're probably right. Given Mitts' pedigree I can see it, but they must have really seen something in Tage that hasn't translated yet. Because I'm not sure why he was granted that special status ahead of Olofsson or Smith or Nylander for example.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ... said:

This is just an indication that they lacked the depth to put better players in there. If the Sabres had better options, they would have been sent down IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't actually care if we win any more. Season is over and we will draft in and around 6/7. Doesn't matter, bunch of decent options around that point. So I just hope we are entertained for the rest of the year and they don't just quit. 

Agree with all of this, except I hope we do quit.  Might expedite Housley's departure.  The sooner he's gone, the sooner we can try to improve.  This team is not going to get "there" with him as the coach, so the sooner he is gone the better.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is just an indication that they lacked the depth to put better players in there. If the Sabres had better options, they would have been sent down IMO.

Thing is, how do the Sabres know they don't have better options? They picked them and stuck with them come hell or high water.

I thought Nylander was better than both Tage and Casey in training camp. I've seen Smith in the NHL and I can't say he was objectively worse than Tage. O'Regan got one game, Elie 15, we haven't seen Olofsson yet. Why has Tage stayed ahead of them?

I think the answer has to be development, and I'd love to hear Botterill explain the reasons for his chosen path.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thing is, how do the Sabres know they don't have better options? They picked them and stuck with them come hell or high water.

I thought Nylander was better than both Tage and Casey in training camp. I've seen Smith in the NHL and I can't say he was objectively worse than Tage. O'Regan got one game, Elie 15, we haven't seen Olofsson yet. Why has Tage stayed ahead of them?

I think the answer has to be development, and I'd love to hear Botterill explain the reasons for his chosen path.

Agree with the first few lines, but am concerned it is NOT for development. Rather management thinks Sobotka, Larson, Girgs, Tage's are better players. Otherwise, why are they consistently out during the end of the game? Why also is Nelson (who could use playing time) sitting? 

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I like seeing Jack with the shoot first mentality the past 20 or so games. 

I think he's to the point of, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.