GDT - Sabres @ Leafs 3-2-19 @ 7pm

CallawaySabres

I see no reason for 2 minutes before the end of the game to constantly remove the goalkeeper. During this time, you can still recoup, and we constantly miss into the empty net ...       And we again lost more than 60% of face-offs...

Edited by Berg

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think the same thing with coordinators in football can be said for assistant coaches in hockey.  You can be a great coordinator but make a poor head coach.  Housley was a great assistant coach but doesn't seem to be a good head coach. I don't know what the answer is but he clearly doesn't either, and that is a problem.

How do you know if an assistant coach is great in hockey?

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

So.....we should get used to soft, players out of position, non-playoff losing hockey for the long haul? So psyched

we're not used to it already? Haven't made the playoffs since 2010

3 hours ago, ... said:

Hey man, you're not alone.  The team isn't great, but they are better.  Certainly more fun to watch.  We have some new members who seem to be irrational and thrive on negativity bringing down the threads.

It's kinda hard not to be better...we've been the worst team in the league last few years

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Berg said:

I see no reason for 2 minutes before the end of the game to constantly remove the goalkeeper. During this time, you can still recoup, and we constantly miss into the empty net ...       And we again lost more than 60% of face-offs...

Yep, we need a center who can play good defense, add good offense when needed and take important faceoffs and win them most of the time...oh wait we had that guy and dumped him for basically nothing. We also gave away kane for basically nothing and if JBotto cannot sign Skinner and we lose him for nothing...

I find it so hard to watch right now and just knowing Quenville is out there is hard to take. I loved Housely as a player and all but as a head coach?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

It's kinda hard not to be better...we've been the worst team in the league last few years

Record wise you're right. I think most would agree that the top 6 -7 players on this team talent wise is much better than just a few years ago. They are all very young and it shows. 

2 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Yep, we need a center who can play good defense, add good offense when needed and take important faceoffs and win them most of the time...oh wait we had that guy and dumped him for basically nothing. We also gave away kane for basically nothing and if JBotto cannot sign Skinner and we lose him for nothing...

I find it so hard to watch right now and just knowing Quenville is out there is hard to take. I loved Housely as a player and all but as a head coach?

The players only play when they want to it seems. 

4 hours ago, Berg said:

This is one of the things that Housley gets right.  https://www.google.com/search?q=when+to+pull+the+goalie&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US821&oq=when+to+pull+the+goalie&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.4007j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I think Phil needs to go back to the job he does best.....being the cover boy for Mad Magazine. I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor coach the Sabres next season.

Pegula should force MSG-WNY to start showing Amerks games instead of Sabres. Let the fans start watching winning hockey for a change.

Most people say two things about the coaching.....

1. HCPH is too inexperienced

2. We need a "players" coach and NOT a teacher.

Then you post this. Wow do you live dangerously.

6 hours ago, ... said:

Hey man, you're not alone.  The team isn't great, but they are better.  Certainly more fun to watch.  We have some new members who seem to be irrational and thrive on negativity bringing down the threads.

Definition of "new member".....anyone with less than 40,000 posts to their credit.

And with comments like this you wonder why????

I could find a crap load of negativity from the "old guard" on these boards, but please be my guest and blame the "new guys". What a joke. You guys chase away the new guys just because they don't agree with you or stand up for what they believe in. Not in the "click" your not welcome or at least not made to feel that way. Where's jame when you need him!!!

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
added to post
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Definition of "new member".....anyone with less than 40,000 posts to their credit.

Not at all.  And everyone was a new member once.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I could find a crap load of negativity from the "old guard" on these boards, but please be my guest and blame the "new guys". What a joke. You guys chase away the new guys just because they don't agree with you or stand up for what they believe in. Not in the "click" your not welcome or at least not made to feel that way. Where's jame when you need him!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention the level of delusion. This team sucks guys. To say they are better than past Sabre teams of the past few years is laughable. Think about it. I will stick with the "Phil is the problem" until I am proven wrong. He is the reason they suck to the level they do. I do believe talent is here, but whatever the hell Phil's system is (strong skating? Watch other teams this time of year, we still look a little slower) this club is way too soft and that part will seriously need to change before serious progress gets made. I am fine with our goaltenders but we need more defensive structure (like taking guys out in front of the net and applying the body) You can call me negative but by seasons end, look at the final standings. (and this has been the norm for going on to a decade now- even the worst Leafs clubs of the 80's didn't go a decade without a playoff round. Disgraceful!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

0-10-1 after a win since mid December.......... quite impressive with the talent of the Ballerina, Eichel, Dahlin, Mittlestadt, Ristolainen, Bogo, Rodrigues, Reinhart, Ullmark, Hutton...........

Housley can't be thrown to the curb fast enough. I'll pay for the cab fare when they can his ass and throw him to the curb (a la Spuddy Gallant, the most liked coach in the NHL, the coach Sabres fans thought I was nuts to want to bring in).........

Totally agree. I wanted him also. I also wanted Julien, Boucher (and yes, I'll still take Guy Boucher anytime over Phil!) and now Quenneville. I don't blame Boucher for that ####show in Ottawa. Melnyk is a disaster owner. I also wanted Torts here before he went to Columbus. Anyone with a pulse please. This decade long gong show is a joke!

• Like (+1) 1

Okay, I definitely stayed out too late in Toronto. I will tell you one thing, that crowd is an absolute joke. I know it takes winning to build the atmosphere but my  god, he only ounce of noise that Arena had all night was if they scored a goall. It was dead silence at all other times.

Edited by CallawaySabres
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The last page of this thread is worse than anything during the tank years.

Guys and gals lets just remember that we are all the same.  It makes no difference if you are posting your first post, or you are on your multiple thousandth post ... we are all Sabre fans.

NS gets it. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Moulson the Blue and the Gold around you. Here! Between you, and me, the 'Net, the boards... Everywhere! Yes, even between the blue line and the Cup.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

*sigh* At my age "going out for a beer" consists of heading to the fridge in the garage lol

Don't be gone long, you might miss an exciting win...………………………….or a whine fest the likes of which haven't been seen since...…………...2 games ago was it? ?

Enjoy your beer ?

Got home at 06.00 am, can say I had a lot of fun.    People kept buying me drinks so I wouldn't get home, could have done without the jagermeister shots though.    Tastes like cough sirup.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Got home at 06.00 am, can say I had a lot of fun.    People kept buying me drinks so I wouldn't get home, could have done without the jagermeister shots though.    Tastes like cough sirup.

If the Jager still tastes like cough syrup, you're not drunk enough. It should taste like cherry candy cough syrup by the end. I somehow still recall a time when my bass player and I hit the town and... (neither of us found a lady that night because we were drinking Jager by that time)... and he was trying to convince me that AOTC wasn't horrible and I was trying to convince him it was horrible. Annnnd... I awoke with the DVD launch screen of AOTC blaring full bore at about... close to noon...

The Sabres may be on the eternal rebuild but our memories make us rich.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Okay, I definitely stayed out too late in Toronto. I will tell you one thing, that crowd is an absolute joke. I know it takes winning to build the atmosphere but my  god, he only ounce of noise that Arena had all night was if they scored a goall. It was dead silence at all other times.

Thats because they were excited to hear 'Hall & Oates"!

I dont get why we are still complaining about O'Reilly, his  interview was horrible and pretty much left the GM with no choice.

Also JBOT probably asked the players at end of last season who they wanted as captain ...   Its not that hard to understand he needed to go.

Edited by Huckleberry

17 hours ago, Tondas said:

Puck management, Checking detail, Net front awareness.  He makes it seem like a Fortune 500 corporation.   It's a game.  How about passion, grit, aggression, physicality, hating to lose??

Phil seems kind of low key.  You may be asking too much.

51 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Phil with a vintage Dick Jauron quote..."It's hard to win in this league."

I could say more, but will leave it at that.

Nice comparison.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.