GDT: Penguins @ Sabres 3-1-19 @7PM

spndnchz

39 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Yeah, that call could have gone either way.  What bothers me (philosophically) about the replay rule is that the goal was 17 seconds after the zone entry and, if I remember correctly, a Pittsburgh player had possession of the puck at one point after the entry, but failed to clear it.  Technically, it's fruit of the poisoned tree, but at that point, it starts to get ridiculous to go back.  It's especially irritating when it happens after the game has ended in a tie, so they threw out some strange shinny game (which would be followed by a skills competition, if needed), all to decide a point that didn't exist until the game ended in a tie.  It's already a coin-flip based on different rules than the actual game, itself, for a nonsensical extra point.

Maybe the refs felt bad for blowing the call on the defenseman covering the puck on the goal line with his hand earlier.

22 minutes ago, skaught said:

Maybe the refs felt bad for blowing the call on the defenseman covering the puck on the goal line with his hand earlier.

They did.  During the commercial break about a minute after the incident, one ref went over to Skinner and apologized; the two refs then got together at the timekeeper's desk and talked it over, and then they talked with the linesman to whom Skinner was complaining right after it happened.

Not that I think it had any effect on the OT decision.  It didn't.

The way they explained the non-offside afterward was that even though Dahlin didn’t have his stick on the puck, he did not lose possession of the puck. The act making a deke around a player does not constitute a loss of possession. And your feet can go in ahead of the puck as long as you are in possession.

Who knew?

Reminds me of the weird similar call when Vancouver scored against us earlier in the year.

I think it’s more likely they didnt roll the tape back far enough and just ruled that Sheary was onside.?

Edited by dudacek

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The way they explained the non-offside afterward was that even though Dahlin didn’t have his stick on the puck, he did not lose possession of the puck. The act making a deke around a player does not constitute a loss of possession. And your feet can go in ahead of the puck as long as you are in possession.

Who knew?

Reminds me of the weird similar call when Vancouver scored against us earlier in the year.

I think it’s more likely the didnt role the tape back far enough and just ruled that Sheary was onside.?

They also mentioned the play a game or two ago where it was offsides and what the differences were.  It made complete sense and the call followed last night followed that logic.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What a great game.

This team is pretty darn close.  This coming offseason will be fun, but also stressful in that JBOT really needs to hit a few homers here ... bating practice is over.  Now it's for real.  Put me in coach ...

I can't help but agree it is "pretty close". It's obvious at this point who the passengers are and that we're not dealing with a coaching problem.  As you said JBot needs to hit a few homers and swap out of many as the passengers/low-talent individuals as possible to put the teams on the other side of the non-playoff line. 

Edited by ...

41 minutes ago, ... said:

Because he finally scored a goal?  Yay, I guess.  ?

Two.  Two goals.

The guy hustles every shift.  He's a little on the small side and doesn't finish as much as some people would like, but I see no reason to hate on this guy.

34 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Two.  Two goals.

The guy hustles every shift.  He's a little on the small side and doesn't finish as much as some people would like, but I see no reason to hate on this guy.

Don't hate the guy but he had 9 goals going into last night.  He's playing second line minutes for this team.  He still doesn't have 30 points on the season.  Again, second line minutes.  Not his fault at all but based on the makeup of the team and ice time he's getting Connor sheary is killing the Sabres.  They cannot get that low of production from a second line winger.  Period.  Mitts, Thompson et al have the rookie excuse going for them this season atleast.  Sheary doesn't.  It's not his fault jbott has yet to improve the forward group but Sheary as a second line player is one of the main reasons this team will miss the playoffs.  The middle six is just not good enough.....nice to see those two last night tho.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Does that say something about Monty, or about Carlyle?

Coaching on. Carlyle never been known for putting his players in the best situation. My post was just being sarcastic. Montour may not be a top pair d-man yet or ever, but he's better than a 5 or 6 guy as well IMO.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Another view 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I find it straight up baffling anyone could come away disappointed or even indifferent with this kids play.  He is literally putting up historic numbers and several times a game looks like the best player on either team.  As an 18 year old dman.  Even many plays that don't result in points (usually breakout passes etc) are outstanding.  Sure there is the odd gaff but what he is doing is the highlight of the season for me.  Even more impressive than jack breaking out imo.

• Like (+1) 5

As of today Elias Petersen is the 58th highest scoring player in the NHL, tied with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Rasmus is the 19th highest scoring defencemen, one behind Seth Jones, ahead of Trouba, Ellis, Doughty and Eklman-Larsson.

It’s not the runaway race people are portraying it to be.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.