Sabres habit of landing long-rumored players

Hoss

So... this is definitely a trend at this point.

The Sabres have a decent recent history of landing players who were in the rumor mill for an extended period of time.

Josh Gorges, Robin Lehner, Ryan O’Reilly, Evander Kane, Marco Scandella, Nathan Beaulieu, Jeff Skinner and now Brandon Montour.

Is this concerning at all? Is it just a result of the way the league works now with insiders being all over the pulse of the league?

Each of those players above were rumored to be available for at least a full year before they were dealt. Montour maybe slightly less.

Players aren’t often traded in surprise moves, but those deals are still happening and it just about never involves Buffalo. Our interest in O’Reilly, Kane and Montour was telegraphed from a great distance and time.

What does it all mean?

Nothing.  Sorry!  The 1st 4 our all TM players and to their credit ROR, Kane, and Skinner played good hockey for us.  Baloo was an inexpensive gamble that failed.  Gorges was brought in for a specific purpose, leadership, but unfortunately lacked the speed for the modern game but did give us good minutes at times.  Scandella was a 3 year bridge player that has had one good year and one bad so far.  I don't think there is a trend here across multiple GMs and over 5-6 years.  

That said, there is something to TM trading for injured players that should have concerned us like Kane, Bogo and Lehner.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

So... this is definitely a trend at this point.

The Sabres have a decent recent history of landing players who were in the rumor mill for an extended period of time.

Josh Gorges, Robin Lehner, Ryan O’Reilly, Evander Kane, Marco Scandella, Nathan Beaulieu, Jeff Skinner and now Brandon Montour.

Is this concerning at all? Is it just a result of the way the league works now with insiders being all over the pulse of the league?

Each of those players above were rumored to be available for at least a full year before they were dealt. Montour maybe slightly less.

Players aren’t often traded in surprise moves, but those deals are still happening and it just about never involves Buffalo. Our interest in O’Reilly, Kane and Montour was telegraphed from a great distance and time.

What does it all mean?

I think this might be more a case of where your attention is focused. The "insiders" and twitter rumors happen all over the place all the time but we forget the ones that don't pan out and the ones not involving our team. Very few crazy surprises these days. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Old school half these folks won't know who he is/was

Do you have the same memory as me?  He was a forty plus goal guy as a Leaf rumored, if i remember correctly, to be coming Buffalo’s way.  Instead, he went to Chicago for a few years, THEN to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Old school half these folks won't know who he is/was

Yes, would have been nice though if we could have gotten Vaive 5 years sooner that we did!

This does cause me to also think that we get some (not all) of these players past their prime and it is still worth it?  If we're thinking old school, how about Hawerchuk, Fuhr, Gilles, Paiement, etc.  I like trade situations like ROR (yes), Montour and possibly Skinner where they're still in their prime vs. tail end.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That said, there is something to TM trading for injured players that should have concerned us like Kane, Bogo and Lehner.

Were Bogosian and Lehner injured at the times of the trades?

Kane's injury is definitely part of the reason why Murray traded for him.  It was the tank year.

There's a reason why my avatar is a photo of Rick Vaive. When I was a young kid I used to watch him get pummeled every single night, often having to get helped off the ice as  the nerve pain in his neck would flare up after a crosscheck by the net. But he would always get back up again & go right back to the front of the neck. Watching him play back then was at least for me motivational & a trait I don't often see in todays game anymore.

He had some good offensive skills but man was he tough too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.