Defense Next Year - Could we see major change?

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, inkman said:

The biggest issue with this team is the middle six forwards. The D isn't perfect but it's young and improving. The forwards need a transplant. Okposo, Sobotka, Pominville, Thompson, Mittlestadt have been a disaster. The kids will get better but they still need to move out the 3 former and make significant improvement on each. 

I can't believe Casey and Tage spent this entire season floundering and not one person in the org did anything about it. Send those MFs down.  ***** ain't hard. 

I don't think Pominville has been a disaster..he has been productive when he is with Jack's line, he started out the year on fire, and has scored snice being back on that line too...not out of the question he could end up with 20 goals, that is far from a disaster from a guy his age.

Edited by matter2003

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't think Pominville has been a disaster..he has been productive when he is with Jack's line, he started out the year on fire, and has scored snice being back on that line too...not out of the question he could end up with 20 goals, that is far from a disaster from a guy his age.

Away from that line he's not good. So let's get someone who we can plug in all up and down the lineup and make everyone better. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

What's interesting is that it feels like this team has made more big moves than most.

Skinner, O'Reilly, Dahlin, Kane, Okposo, Eichel, O'Reilly, Kane — that's a lot of big-name moves in just four years.

I wonder who has done more.

I always thought the COR acquisition was a underrated move. ?

Lehner? Scandella? Gorges?  

I don't think anyone has done more and  this is exactly why we shouldn't have done.  Build something first and then and only then fill the holes.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I always thought the COR acquisition was a underrated move. ?

Lehner? Scandella? Gorges?  

I don't think anyone has done more and  this is exactly why we shouldn't have done.  Build something first and then and only then fill the holes.  

I wouldn't call those three big names. At least not COR-level.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hunwick tonight reminded me why he shouldn't be part of this team next season.

Yeh, Sabres need to find one more D, hoping Borgen can step up next year... a 2C and a couple sets of wingers who can score, one for Jack, and are good on the forecheck with some size.  Paquette intrigues me as well as Erne, there are others as well.

13 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh, Sabres need to find one more D, hoping Borgen can step up next year... a 2C and a couple sets of wingers who can score, one for Jack, and are good on the forecheck with some size.  Paquette intrigues me as well as Erne, there are others as well.

Don’t count out Jack Daugherty.  He is a mobile stay at home D and would be a nice pairing with Pilut.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I’m going out on an unpopular limb to say that if Dahlin makes a jump next year, the starting six will be in the upper third of the league:

Dahlin Bogosian

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Montour.

As a group, they are big, mobile and have an edge. There is a considerable amount of offence. They still need improvement on their zone coverage, but Dahlin and Montour should improve their first pass. Nelson for depth and Pilut/Borgen as call-ups.

The second pair would be among the better ones in the league and if Scandella bounces back I’m at a loss to think of a better third pair. The key is Dahlin because right now that’s not a top pair. But he’s got it in him to be the guy.

Edited by dudacek

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m going out on an unpopular limb to say that if Dahlin makes a jump next year, the starting six will be in the upper third of the league:

Dahlin Bogosian

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Montour.

As a group, they are big, mobile and have an edge. There is a considerable amount of offence. They still need improvement on their zone coverage, but Dahlin and Montour should improve their first pass. Nelson for depth and Pilut/Borgen as call-ups.

The second pair would be among the better ones in the league and if Scandella bounces back I’m at a loss to think of a better third pair. The key is Dahlin because right now that’s not a top pair. But he’s got it in him to be the guy.

I'm happy with where our defence is at.

Look at those names and ask yourself, when was the last time there was that much individual talent on the blue line?  Obviously, they need to mesh.  But that is a seriously talented set of players.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Look at those names and ask yourself, when was the last time there was that much individual talent on the blue line?  Obviously, they need to mesh.  But that is a seriously talented set of players.

I agree but the best part is that they're not so talented that it can't still be up-graded if need be. Right now I would say Dahlin is the only untouchable and that's due to his potential upside. Over the last couple weeks haven't we all been talking about the trade deadline and possible trades involving Risto, Scandy, McCabe and Bogo? Montour would be likely staying. If the right deal and player comes available I would expect Botts to still make the move.

With that said, I'd be happy if we started next season with this group. It sets the bar for developing our youngsters on D at a level that they have to be pretty good to supplant a roster player but not a level that makes them think they'll never break the line-up.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Talent is great, but making sure they are a cohesive unit is better. I think Dahlin, Montour, RIsto and McCabe are 4/6 of a top notch unit.  I'm not sure a good team lets Bogo play 22 minutes a night on the top pair against the other teams best forwards.  I'm ok with him on the 3rd pair, but having him as Dahlin's partner is a mistake waiting to happen.

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Talent is great, but making sure they are a cohesive unit is better. I think Dahlin, Montour, RIsto and McCabe are 4/6 of a top notch unit.  I'm not sure a good team lets Bogo play 22 minutes a night on the top pair against the other teams best forwards.  I'm ok with him on the 3rd pair, but having him as Dahlin's partner is a mistake waiting to happen.

Fwiw, Dahlin & Montour played well last night in the 3rd when paired.  IF they were to develop chemistry, then McCabe - Ristolainen, Dahlin - Montour, & Pilut - Bogosian would be the best D this team has had in years.

Would really have no problem with Pilut on that 3rd pairing as he'd have Bogo to keep opposing forwards from taking liberties & all 3 pairings could have a guy join the rush.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Fwiw, Dahlin & Montour played well last night in the 3rd when paired.  IF they were to develop chemistry, then McCabe - Ristolainen, Dahlin - Montour, & Pilut - Bogosian would be the best D this team has had in years.

Would really have no problem with Pilut on that 3rd pairing as he'd have Bogo to keep opposing forwards from taking liberties & all 3 pairings could have a guy join the rush.

I like those pairs and Pilut very well could beat Scandy out for a spot (if Scandy or someone else isn’t traded).  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure I said that.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, Weave said:

I'm pretty sure I said that.

20 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup, but you used different words.

Not exactly.  Meshing and cohesive unit are not necessarily synonymous.  Meshing is the current group as is coming together and playing as a unit.  I think we are still trying to put some square pegs in round holes (Bogo as a 1st line RHD for example).  I think to build a cohesive unit we need to move on from Bogo and Scandella and find more ideal partners for a Montour and Dalhin.

20 hours ago, Ross Rhea said:

I'm keeping Risto, Dahlin and Montour, the rest are trade bait.

There is definitely a case for this.  My guess and why I started this thread is that Jbot is listening to offers for everyone not named Dahlin or Montour to try to enhance this team such as a 2nd line center or a better partner for Dahlin.

Right now after trading Two LHDs in Baloo and Guhle our depth chart of NHL players and prospects looks something like this:

LHD - Dahlin, McCabe (RFA), Scandella, Hunwick, Pilut (AHL)

RHD - Risto, Montour, Bogo, Nelson, Borgen (AHL), Dougherty (AHL).

I'd stand pat with the current defense unless someone offers me something good for either Scandella or Bogosian.

McCabe       Ristolainen

Dahlin          Montour

Scandella     Bogosian

Hunwick

That seems like a solid lineup to me, plus we have Pilut (LHD) and Borgen (RHD) in Rochester developing who can get called up in case of injury.

34 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

I'd stand pat with the current defense unless someone offers me something good for either Scandella or Bogosian.

McCabe       Ristolainen

Dahlin          Montour

Scandella     Bogosian

Hunwick

That seems like a solid lineup to me, plus we have Pilut (LHD) and Borgen (RHD) in Rochester developing who can get called up in case of injury.

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I am legitimately dumbfounded by people who want to stay with the exact same defensive core. Especially those included Scandella. My lord we’re so used to mediocrity that we’re addicted to it.

It isn’t exactly the same group because we basically upgraded from Baloo/Pilut to Montour already.  That said, I want to move on from both Scandy and Bogo, but I’m not getting much love for that idea.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

It isn’t exactly the same group because we basically upgraded from Baloo/Pilut to Montour already.  That said, I want to move on from both Scandy and Bogo, but I’m not getting much love for that idea.

Dahlin and Montour are the only guys I know I want back on this blue line. Legitimately anybody else can be flipped and replaced.

Reaistically that’s not going to happen, but this team needs change. I’d be willing to welcome Pilut back into the lineup at some point, as well.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scandella brings nothing to this team and his departure would be addition by subtraction (good riddance).  BOGO at least brings some intangibles and "if" he stays healthy, then I like having him in the lineup.  That said, he's probably gone after next season anyway with his contract status.

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I am very much in favor of moving Scandella (if possible) as part of a package for improved F's. 

Not opposed to moving Bogosian, except he finally can be played on 3rd pairing now that Montour is here & he was the partner that both Dahlin & Pilut have played their best with (going on eye test).  If he is moved, the package had better bring back at minimum a 2RW or ideally a 2C.  It can't be for shuffling deck chairs.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I am legitimately dumbfounded by people who want to stay with the exact same defensive core. Especially those included Scandella. My lord we’re so used to mediocrity that we’re addicted to it.

I'd rather do that than see GMJB trade away Ristolainen is a failed attempt to fix his #2 Center mistake and just compound the talent issue further.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.