2019 Off Season

sweetlou

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s already got the Skinner co tract included, 5 cheaper RFAs still to sign.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Expect some of those RFAs  (Z and Larsson) to be gone.  Sabres also are likely to move on from a couple of Scandella, Hunwick, Ristolainen and maybe even McCabe. 

If Olofsson, Nylander and Smith (RFA) make this team and the Sabres re-sign just ERod, we'll have 13 forwards under contract.  I doubt the finished forward group will be Jack, Sam, Jeff, Erod, Sobotka, Okposo, Mitts, Thompson, Wilson, Sheary, Olofsson, Nylander and Smith.  Is that really the group to go into battle with? 

We need to move on from Sobotka, and Wilson at a minimum. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 6/6/2019 at 10:06 AM, dudacek said:

Botterill on WGR right now saying Olofsson, Nylander, Smith all going to get long looks to start in Buffalo next year.

Also said Asplund might not be quite as close but he’s rising fast and might force his way into the conversation as well.

A long look at potentially starting? Or long looks in terms of regular season game action, to start?

On a side note, I just don't see Smith becoming a mainstay NHLer. Have seen almost nothing from him in limited action so far. 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Expect some of those RFAs  (Z and Larsson) to be gone.  Sabres also are likely to move on from a couple of Scandella, Hunwick, Ristolainen and maybe even McCabe. 

If Olofsson, Nylander and Smith (RFA) make this team and the Sabres re-sign just ERod, we'll have 13 forwards under contract.  I doubt the finished forward group will be Jack, Sam, Jeff, Erod, Sobotka, Okposo, Mitts, Thompson, Wilson, Sheary, Olofsson, Nylander and Smith.  Is that really the group to go into battle with? 

I'm with you on Scandella, Hunwick and Ristolainen, but McCabe is a warrior and we need more of that IMO.  Very good 3D guy that can step up to a 2D pair if necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

A long look at potentially starting? Or long looks in terms of regular season game action, to start?

On a side note, I just don't see Smith becoming a mainstay NHLer. Have seen almost nothing from him in limited action so far. 

I took that statement as, they are getting every opportunity in training camp to make the roster at the start of the season.

Completely agree with you on Smith.  He's classic AAAA in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I took that statement as, they are getting every opportunity in training camp to make the roster at the start of the season.

Completely agree with you on Smith.  He's classic AAAA in my opinion.

That’s how I took the statement as well.  

Smith didn’t really impress, but sometimes guys surprise.  Looks like a AAAA guy, those guys do occasionally make good.  Not expecting much from him, but not opposed to giving him another 15-20 game look in the bottom 6 if the opportunity is there.  Worst case scenario, he is a good AHLer and occasional NHL fill in for the next few years.  That’s nice from a player the team got for free.

Edited by Curtisp5286

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

What Weave and Curtis said. It was a response to a “what prospects can make the team” question.

To me, Smith looked superior in my brief viewings of Rochester last year, but out of his league in Buffalo. I said similar things about ERod.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

What Weave and Curtis said. It was a response to a “what prospects can make the team” question.

To me, Smith looked superior in my brief viewings of Rochester last year, but out of his league in Buffalo. I said similar things about ERod.

I so want to comment on this.  ?

In this cap world there is always going to be a influx of young (cheap) players or cheap UFAs.  It's the nature the modern NHL.  It enables teams to pay their top players while still fielding a team.  Olofsson and Nylander are making this team.  The question is now Jbot navigates adding the kids, in what roles, and how he fills the gaps in this roster in other places most notably 2nd line forwards and defensive defenseman.  I'm sorry, but until we learn to play defense, adding offense can only help so far.

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think Wilson and Smith are both more likely to make the NHL roster than Nylander is.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill said they are talking to Pominville’s Camp and have not ruled out a return 

I think/hope JB said this out of respect and not because it's a real possibility.  Pommer is done like dinner.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think/hope JB said this out of respect and not because it's a real possibility.  Pommer is done like dinner.

I'm a Pommer fan but I also think it's time to move on.  Pommer being the team's 4th leading goal scorer last year says more about how much we need to improve the depth scoring than Pommer's skill level at this point.  He was a good Sabre, had his going away moment last year, and is a class act.  However, it's time for JBOT to use his head over his heart.

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Wilson and Smith are both more likely to make the NHL roster than Nylander is.

Pommer needs to be re-hired in management or coaching.  We need more quality people in this organization and a man with his work ethic and drive would be a plus.

This is an important camp for Nylander.  On paper he has the talent to be an NHL player.  Maybe he could be one of those guys who is better with better players.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Would Nylander and Okposo be enough to get Zucker from Minnesota or would we have to add in another pick or prospect to off set Okposo contract?

I’m no Zucker expert but that sounds like a gross underpayment. Need more to offset that contract 

7) Skinner re-signed.  8 years $72 million.  Full NTC

Dates to remember

June 17 - Buyouts Begin

June 21-22 - NHL Draft

June 23 - UFAs can start to shop their services

June 25 - Deadline to make qualifying offers to RFAs

June 25 - 28 D Camp should be around these dates

July 1 - UFA signings begin

July 15 - RFA qualifying offers expire

July 20 to Aug 4 - Arbitration Hearings

CURRENT CAP SITUATION

8 Forwards under contract for $37,125,000 - Eichel, Skinner, Okposo, Sobotka, Reinhart, Mitts, Wilson and Sheary

RFAs - Girgensons, Larsson, Erod, and Smith

UFAs - Pominville

Prospects under contract - Olofsson (767K), Nylander (863K), Thompson (925K), Asplund (845K)

7 Defensemen under contract for $21,918,000 - Bogo, Ristolainen, Montour, Dahlin, Nelson, Hunwick and Scandella

RFAs - McCabe, Dougherty

Prospects under contract - Pilut (925K), Borgen (864k)

1 Goalie under contract for $2,750,000 - Hutton

RFA - Ullmark

Other Cap costs - $792,000 - Coho Buyout.

Total Cap hit right now - 16 players for $62,585,000 approx $20 mill in cap left to spend.  Only expensive RFA is McCabe.  I estimate 3.5 for McCabe.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

We are paying Cody freakin Hodgson for a few more years. I highly doubt JB will buyout anyone this season. 

With Moulson and Pominville coming off the books, that just went to Skinner for 8 years.

Sobotka could be bought out.  Hunwick could easily be demoted to the minors. These moves may not be necessary for cap reasons, but to make roster spots for better players.

I see Scandella either being moved for 6th or 7th rd pick for immediate cap relief.  JBotts may hold onto him for insurance until trade deadline.

If I'm JBotts I tell Sobotka you are going to be 4th liner here or you have the option to go to KHL. They won't buy him out because he would still cost 1.5 mil this year and then 1 mil next year against the cap.

Pomminstein may get a 1 year 1 million offer from JBotts later this summer depending on how everything pans out.  He could be a 4th liner or be someone that plays one game on back to backs to keep around.  Still think he is a good vet who could be good in 40-45 games.

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

That’s troubling.... if true 

Very troubling, but it makes sense given everything we know about this GM for the past 25 months. For whatever reason he is having a very difficult time letting go of the proven dead weight from the two previous failed regimes. At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Girgensons, Larsson, Bogosian, Okposo, and Nelson will all be on the 2019-20 roster along with Pominville on another triumphant quest to land a top 3 lottery pick.

4 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Very troubling, but it makes sense given everything we know about this GM for the past 25 months. For whatever reason he is having a very difficult time letting go of the proven dead weight from the two previous failed regimes. At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Girgensons, Larsson, Bogosian, Okposo, and Nelson will all be on the 2019-20 roster along with Pominville on another triumphant quest to land a top 3 lottery pick.

Nah ... that’s too negative for my blood. Pominville will be gone.

the others, although not great choices, can in fact play a key roll (positively) in a new system. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the Sabres will barely make it in the playoff in 2020.

and Nelson is the ideal #7 D man. Maybe you don’t remember, but he played solid in 2-4 game stints. Perfect type for a role as #7.

I don’t have an issue with Larsson on the team for another season. It’s our coaching and top 6 that was the major issue. Mostly coaching and in game adjustments. Or lack thereof.

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Im also very intrigued with Boesser from Vancouver.  Vancouver looking to bolster defense.  

How about a Risto and Reinhart for Boesser and Stecher trade?

They're not trading Boeser so that's that.

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

So, you don't buy into his explanation that he wanted to stock the lower tiers of talent first and begin to create a level of competition there before letting players make it up to the big club?

That's what you get with players like Girgensons, Larsson, and Nelson.

Okposo and Bogosian are not his contracts but the only way those contracts move is if you can package them up with a super prospect or a top pick in the draft.  The Sabres are lacking those pieces so how did you expect him to move them?  Hell, Bogosian has the injury problems, so it's unlikely anyone is taking him.  So, that really leaves Okposo.  What do the Sabres have to throw into the deal to get him off the roster?  When they do that, are they better or worse because they've now lost that piece in addition to Okposo?

As for Pominville, a $1M contract to add depth to the organization wouldn't be the end of the world right now.  It's unlikely he's going to go anywhere else next season.  So, the Sabres can talk to him and he can accept that he's the outgoing piece on the only team that will take him.  At $1M, even if he ends up in Rochester, it's money well spent.

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Would Nylander and Okposo be enough to get Zucker from Minnesota or would we have to add in another pick or prospect to off set Okposo contract?

I think you would need to send Nylander just to get a team to take Okposo’s contract.  Nylander+Okposo starts you back at zero, then you need to add enough to trade for Zucker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.