2019 Off Season

sweetlou

9 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I'm amazed I keep falling in the trap each off season of how well the Sabres look on paper with the acquisitions they make, only to be disappointed by the results each year. I'm trying to remember the last off season where the player actually lived up to the potential or even surpassed it. May have to go back to the addition of Drury and Briere.

That is why we should have kept all our draft picks and built from the ground up. The trade or FA route is usually a 50/50 proposition.  Skinner has worked this year, but Sheary is a ?. Kane and ROR gave us some good hockey, but Lehner and Bogo were abject failures IMHO.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That is why we should have kept all our draft picks and built from the ground up. The trade or FA route is usually a 50/50 proposition.  Skinner has worked this year, but Sheary is a ?. Kane and ROR gave us some good hockey, but Lehner and Bogo were abject failures IMHO.  

Would you feel differently if you got this year’s Bogo, every year since he was acquired?

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  He is at best a 3rd line D that we are paying $5 mill plus a season for.  His D zone coverage is still terrible and he had two of the worst games I’ve seen this season Feb 1 & 5th.  

Yea. I’ve been in the “done with Bogo” train for over a year. No matter how long he stays healthy, I just want to move on from him.

on the topic of Sheary... did anyone think when we acquired him he would be a top 6 winger who pots 23-28 goals? If so, why did you think that? Curious to hear the reasoning.

I didn’t. Looking at prior seasons, it’s obvious he was a 14-19 goal, 15-20 assist 3rd liner who can play spot duty from time to time on the PP or 2nd line. 

And I wouldn’t move him this summer. His 3 mil. cap hit is fair and reasonable for what he brings. 

I would hang onto Larsson. He’s a possession monster. Great fit for the 4th line. Girgs, although I like him, I wouldn’t shed a tear if he was moved for some sort of upgrade or bring up a hungry prospect who earns a spot.

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you also have to compare the cost of acquisition between the players as well.  Sheary and Hunwick for a Conditional 4th versus the price of the Lehner and Bogo. 

Judicious trades and sensible UFA Signs are the way to go .

• Like (+1) 2

Reinhart, Skinner and Eichel are good. Sheary and Erod are useful. Okposo is immovable. Mittelstadt and Thompson are part of Botterill’s plan and will be back.

Any one of Wilson, Girgensons, Larsson, Pominville and Sobotka still on the roster next year means one less spot for a better forward, particular if you are hoping a Smith or a Nylander or an Olofsson gets a spot.

I don’t hate any the first five on the fourth line, but if they are that means Mittlestadt Thompson and Okposo go into the season pencilled in as middle-sixers. I don’t want that.

Ideally we replace and upgrade at least three and preferably every single one of Wilson, Sobotka, Girgensons, Larsson and Pominville.

Edited by dudacek

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Reinhart, Skinner and Eichel are good. Sheary and Erod are useful. Okposo is immovable. Mittelstadt and Thompson are part of Botterill’s plan and will be back.

Any one of Wilson, Girgensons, Larsson, Pominville and Sobotka still on the roster next year means one less spot for a better forward, particular if you are hoping a Smith or a Nylander or an Olofsson gets a spot.

I don’t hate any the first five on the fourth line, but if they are that means Mittlestadt Thompson and Okposo go into the season pencilled in as middle-sixers. I don’t want that.

Ideally we replace and upgrade at least three and preferably every single one of Wilson, Sobotka, Girgensons, Larsson and Pominville.

The good news is that all are either FAs or have one year left.  Wilson can be sent down and his entire cap hit will go with him.  Maybe Sobotka will want to go back to the KHL.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill-phil-housley-jeff-skinner-lance-lysowski-nhl/

This mailbag asks many of the questions we have discussed on this board, such as softness, if Jbot the right guy for the job, whether another roster overhaul is coming etc,..  worth a read.

Here is a very interesting quote for the article.

Mark asks: Do you believe Botterill is the right person to be the Sabres' GM?

LL: Yes. A person in his position deserves more than two seasons to fix an organization. Tim Murray's drafts and trades decimated the Sabres' depth, particularly up front. The optics of the Ryan O'Reilly trade aren't great for Botterill since neither Tage Thompson nor Vladimir Sobotka has made much of an impact.

Remember, Patrik Berglund was supposed to provide around 20 goals, win important faceoffs and provide the type of toughness this team lacks, but he chose to leave the team because of an ongoing battle with depression. Botterill could not have projected that. The first-round draft pick acquired in the trade helped Botterill acquire Brandon Montour. I'm going to withhold judgement until I see how Thompson develops over the next 12 months.

Again, Skinner doesn't come to Buffalo if O'Reilly isn't traded because of the salary cap. The Sabres aren't in the business of acquiring rental players and it's unlikely they would invest so much of the salary cap in three forwards: O'Reilly, Skinner and Jack Eichel. I want to see how Botterill addresses the lack of depth and grit up front. He'll have the cap space and assets to show if he's the right man for the job. This is a critical offseason for him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

After reading the Athletic article I posted in the forwards thread and Lance’s article in TBN, I thought I’d take a run at a new roster and see where it goes both on paper and cap wise.

Here is the moves I’d make

1) Trade Risto to TB for JT Miller.  This is almost an even swap $ wise, gives them a 5th D they need and allows them to keep all their current cap room to retain Point.  The Sabres get a pt producing utility forward who can play a bigger role then he is in TB. There will be more details in the actual deal, but this is the start.  This could actually work as a two part deal.  We trade Risto out West for a package of picks and prospects and then move the package to TB for Miller.

2) Trade Scandella for a 2nd rd pick.  Many teams need D and will take his contract in full.  We may have to take a contract back to make the deal work,  and we have the cap to do it.

3) Use Scandella’s cap to sign Donskoi to serve as a 2nd line RW for Miller or 1st line RW for Jack allowing Samson to play with Miller. (3 years 12 mill)

4) Olofsson, Nylander, Smith and Thomspon compete to be Mitts’ 3rd RW

5) Move on from Wilson, Pommers, and Girgensons

6) re-sign Larsson for a year to be the 4th line center (1.45 mill)

7) re-sign Erod -2 years 2.25 per season

8.) re-sign McCabe 4 years @ 3.25 per season

9) re-sign Ullmark 1 year @ 1.5 per or 3 years at 2.0 per season.

10) Biggest question left - sign or acquire a  RHD to play with McCabe or Dahlin.  Tyler Myers might be interesting to bring back, but Jbot is usually looking for younger guys.  Myers would likely cost 5.5 per year for 4 or 5 years. 

The lineup

Skinner Jack Donskoi

Sheary Miller Reinhart

Erod Mitts Nylander/Olofsson

Thomspon Larsson Okposo

Sobotka

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Myers

Pilut  Bogosian

Hunwick Nelson

Hutton Ullmark

Cost: only $69 mill including Coho buyout.

i figure these moves add at least 25+ goals to our roster, while also giving us long-term cap money to re-sign Samson and Montour long-term. It solves the 2nd line center issue, gives us more talent in the top 9, more options on the PP with forwards and D and maybe even 3 solid scoring lines.  I think it could be a step back on the PK and not a real enhancement physically upfront.

From a money standpoint, Pommers, Scandella, Risto and Moulson leaving the books frees up $19 mill.  Donskoi, Miller, and raises to Erod and Ullmark utilize only 12 mill of that 19 mill.  Sheary, Hunwick, Nelson, Bogo and Sobatka fall off the following off-season freeing up another 14.7 million to make further enhancements.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

After reading the Athletic article I posted in the forwards thread and Lance’s article in TBN, I thought I’d take a run at a new roster and see where it goes both on paper and cap wise.

Here is the moves I’d make

1) Trade Risto to TB for JT Miller.  This is almost an even swap $ wise, gives them a 5th D they need and allows them to keep all their current cap room to retain Point.  The Sabres get a pt producing utility forward who can play a bigger role then he is in TB. There will be more details in the actual deal, but this is the start.  This could actually work as a two part deal.  We trade Risto out West for a package of picks and prospects and then move the package to TB for Miller.

2) Trade Scandella for a 2nd rd pick.  Many teams need D and will take his contract in full.  We may have to take a contract back to make the deal work,  it we have the cap to do it.

3) Use Scandella’s cap to sign Donskoi to serve as a 2nd line RW for Miller or 1st line RW for Jack allowing Samson to play with Miller. (3 years 12 mill)

4) Olofsson, Nylander, Smith and Thomspon compete to be Mitts’ 3rd RW

5) Move on from Wilson, Pommers, and Girgensons

6) re-sign Larsson for a year to be the 4th line center (1.45 mill)

7) re-sign Erod -2 years 2.25 per season

8.) re-sign McCabe 4 years @ 3.25 per season

9) re-sign Ullmark 1 year @ 1.5 per or 3 years at 2.0 per season.

10) Biggest question left - sign or acquire a  RHD to play with McCabe or Dahlin.  Tyler Myers might be interesting to bring back, but Jbot is usually looking for younger guys.  Myers would likely cost 5.5 per year for 4 or 5 years. 

The lineup

Skinner Jack Donskoi

Sheary Miller Reinhart

Erod Mitts Nylander/Olofsson

Thomspon Larsson Okposo

Sobotka

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Myers

Pilut  Bogosian

Hunwick Nelson

Hutton Ullmark

Cost: only $69 mill including Coho buyout.

i figure these moves add at least 25+ goals to our roster, while also giving us long-term cap money to re-sign Samson and Montour long-term. It solves the 2nd line center issue, gives us more talent in the top 9, more options on the PP with forwards and D and maybe even 3 solid scoring lines.  I think it could be a step back on the PK and not a real enhancement physically upfront.

From a money standpoint, Pommers, Scandella, Risto and Moulson leaving the books frees up $19 mill.  Donskoi, Miller, and raises to Erod and Ullmark utilize only 12 mill of that 19 mill.  Sheary, Hunwick, Nelson, Bogo and Sobatka fall off the following off-season freeing up another 14.7 million to make further enhancements.

Aside from the Risto trade I like it. Have no interest in trading Risto in the division to a team notorious for magically fixing players.

The Hodgson buyout, in retrospect, was quite possibly the dumbest thing Darcy ever did.  I’ll temper that a bit by saying I’m not sure how much info he, or indeed Cody, had about the situation at the time, bust sheesh.  This is the same Darcy who suspended Teppo Numminen for having a heart condition (albeit surely at the behest of OSP) though, so who knows? 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Aside from the Risto trade I like it. Have no interest in trading Risto in the division to a team notorious for magically fixing players.

That is why I wrote the second option of trading Risto out West and then using the assets from the Risto trade to acquire Miller.  This gives TB cap relief and gives the Sabres a player they need.

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

I see Wilson as a gamer, not someone to get rid of.  Plays hard every shift, is smart, knows his role, is cheap and can chip in with a timely goal or two. 

I have no problem with one or two Wilsons on my team, but we can't have too many if Okposo/Mittelstadt/Thompson are only combining for 30 goals.

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

Geez. The Sabres should hire a team psychiatrist during the 2019 offseason. A good handful of players end of depressed and end up wanting to leave or quit. Lehner, O’Reilly, Berglund, & Leino immediately come to mind. 

I wonder how the News writer confirmed this about Berglund, given HIPAA etc.

Won't re-quote @GASabresIUFAN's whole post. 

Good post. As for the lineup itself, looks like this year with Miller and Donskoi. Donskoi would be a nice addition. 

It's success hinges on Miller's ability to adequately fill the 2C role. That's an iffy proposition to me. Miller is a career 18 goal, 44 point scorer over an 82 game season. 

I would be at once very glad to see a Miller addition as he certainly improves the team, but also slightly disappointed as I'm not certain his addition is the droid we are looking for in terms of the improvement we want.

Do Miller and Donskoi get a 25th place team to the playoffs?

Edited by Thorny

With any luck JBotts can draft well this year and some lottery help plus GAs goals Sabres should take another step.  Not sure i want Risto gone just in a lesser role.  Love Donakoi idea and Miller second line center agree is a big if but combined with a further developing Mitts and would be a better balanced 3 lines

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Won't re-quote @GASabresIUFAN's whole post. 

Good post. As for the lineup itself, looks like this year with Miller and Donskoi. Donskoi would be a nice addition. 

It's success hinges on Miller's ability to adequately fill the 2C role. That's an iffy proposition to me. Miller is a career 18 goal, 44 point scorer over an 82 game season. 

I would be at once very glad to see a Miller addition as he certainly improves the team, but also slightly disappointed as I'm not certain his addition is the droid we are looking for in terms of the improvement we want.

Do Miller and Donskoi get a 25th place team to the playoffs?

The best thing about Miller is that he can be used at any role in the offense.  He plays center and both wings.  He can be a 20+  goal scorer in the right situation.  If and when Mitts and maybe Asplund develop into our 2nd and 3rd line centers, Miller can will be a strong piece of the top 6.  Also if we find keeping ERod at center works better, we can move Miller to Jack or Erod’s wing.  I love the flexabilty he gives us both short and long term.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The best thing about Miller is that he can be used at any role in the offense.  He plays center and both wings.  He can be a 20+  goal scorer in the right situation.  If and when Mitts and maybe Asplund develop into our 2nd and 3rd line centers, Miller can will be a strong piece of the top 6.  Also if we find keeping ERod at center works better, we can move Miller to Jack or Erod’s wing.  I love the flexabilty he gives us both short and long term.  

But does he chase other players around the ice after he’s been checked? 

When do the overseas games get announced? There was a rumor on a podcast (can't remember which) that the sabres may be rolling into Sweden. I spy a weekend trip for the Oath family if that's the case.

14 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

TSN quiz tonight. 

2 of the 3 panelists chose Buffalo 

8CCA14D7-CA8C-469F-ACF3-8CD8B5AB8852.jpeg

Was one of the panelists Botterill ?

Prior to last season, has Quenville ever coached a team as talent-poor as this year’s Sabres?

With Colorado and St. Louis he had mediocre to above-average talent and had mediocre to above-average results. For most of his Chicago stint he had elite talent and had elite results.

Last season, when he had a team with little talent, he had 76 points - pretty much what Housley will generate with this year’s Sabres, and worse than what Colliton has done since replacing him

Is Quenville a great coach, or one a great swath of mediocre NHL coaches?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.