2019 Off Season

sweetlou

Since this team has no chance of making the playoffs after this past week it is time to look to the future.

First coaching.  I think Housley is JBotts man unless something else is too good to pass up.  Quenville is still out there. Also if Columbus doesn't make a run with all the acquisitions they made and also the potential to have Panarin and BOB leave to free agency without getting anything in return look for both GM and coach Torts to be fired.  Would you want Torts in Buffalo?  I believe Buffalo fans want and appreciate a coach that shows emotion and passion for the game.  That is why Nolan, and Ruff both did well here, sometimes with less talent than this team has right now.

Second- players

Not much out there as far a UFA's this year. I do want Botts to make a play whether thru trade or offer sheets to some RFA's. 

Some teams like Toronto and Tampa are so up against the cap that would only make sense to offer sheet instead of trading within the division.

Some potential offer sheet players would include Kapanen or Johnsson from Toronto or Burakovksy from Washington to upgrade our wing. Would cost you a second rd pick because would offer between 2.5 to 4 million AAV.  

Potential trade ideas would be Paquette or JT Miller from Tampa. I would trade Risto, Nylander, and Larsson for Paquette and Miller, and Sergachev.

44 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Too soon, IMO.

How, Buffalo would have to get 30 points in the last 19 games to even have a chance, that is 15 wins in 19 games...they are done for this year.

I want to see Tage go down and Nylander up for the next 15 games...see what he has got and then send him down for the AHL playoffs.

This way Botts can evaluate him against NHL talent.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

How, Buffalo would have to get 30 points in the last 19 games to even have a chance, that is 15 wins in 19 games...they are done for this year.

I want to see Tage go down and Nylander up for the next 15 games...see what he has got and then send him down for the AHL playoffs.

He's already evaluating him against AHL talent and coming up short so far. Rather he brings up Olofsson to evaluate.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

What's that gonna look like to O'Regan, Smith, Olofsson, all of whom have passed this bum on the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

An offer sheet for Kapanen would be a good idea but I suspect we would not be the only ones to think that. Heck if he isn't signed offer sheet Marner so that they have to break their bank matching it to keep their fans from going ballistic. Reverse Vanek them :)

I still don't think we have to trade for anyone though. All the holes can be filled in free agency if we spend wisely AND players actually want to come here. 

No way to Hoffman though. Wouldn't go anywhere near him ever after that Ottawa issue. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

An offer sheet for Kapanen would be a good idea but I suspect we would not be the only ones to think that. Heck if he isn't signed offer sheet Marner so that they have to break their bank matching it to keep their fans from going ballistic. Reverse Vanek them :)

I still don't think we have to trade for anyone though. All the holes can be filled in free agency if we spend wisely AND players actually want to come here. 

No way to Hoffman though. Wouldn't go anywhere near him ever after that Ottawa issue. 

Don't have to trade anyone, but need to trade a few guys or just release them... Sobtka, Scandella and Pommer, put Okposo on LTIR

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Don't have to trade anyone, but need to trade a few guys or just release them... Sobtka, Scandella and Pommer, put Okposo on LTIR

Do you mean waive them? You cannot "release" players in the NHL. They would still count against the cap and your contract limit. 

Pommers is the only UFA in that list that can be "released". 

13 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Trade for pics.  Yeh would love to release, but trad for pics or pospects.

I would love to see Sobotka and KO moved, but seriously what GM would be stupid enough to do that (unless it was part of a much larger deal)?   Nobody is interested in our overpriced trash unless there is a hidden gem in the offering.

It's kind of like accidentally dropping something in the toilet.  You may have to now throw in an additional $20 or $50 bill into it to convince yourself that you have enough reason to reach into the #@#$%! to pull out what you first dropped.

54 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I would love to see Sobotka and KO moved, but seriously what GM would be stupid enough to do that (unless it was part of a much larger deal)?   Nobody is interested in our overpriced trash unless there is a hidden gem in the offering.

It's kind of like accidentally dropping something in the toilet.  You may have to now throw in an additional $20 or $50 bill into it to convince yourself that you have enough reason to reach into the #@#$%! to pull out what you first dropped.

Our GM was stupid enough to think Sobotka had value so anything is possible, but the more likely scenario will be us keeping him on the roster for the duration of his contract.

1 minute ago, Drunkard said:

Our GM was stupid enough to think Sobotka had value so anything is possible, but the more likely scenario will be us keeping him on the roster for the duration of his contract.

Sooooooooooooo .... 1 more season. 

18 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

People have to give up on the idea you can just trade away unwanted players. Nobody wants them. 

Pommer is gone. I'd be shocked if he was re-signed. Okposo will not retire or go to LTIR and we are stuck with his contract. Maybe we can make a deal for Seattle to take him but even that is unlikely so he's a depth forward until the contract ends. In fairness he looked better on the second power play unit tonight than the first unit often looks so who knows. Somebody MIGHT trade  for Sobodka but more likely he'll also stay as a depth forward and scratch. Scandella I think can still bounce back but despite his struggles this year I think he's still better than Nelson and will be part of our 5-6 pairing. 

The key is to develop our own talent and not sign any more duds in free agency, just players who fit. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:47 AM, North Buffalo said:

Doubt it, unless they have Salary Cap issues.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, Marchand'sNose said:

What's going on in Florida that is making this an option?

They were both rumored to be potential available at various points leading up to the deadline. They’re lreparing for a big offseason run at Panarin and Bobrovsky so maybe trying to shed some money to make room.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

False.  He was a salary dump that he took on to get the pick and prospect. 

Are you sure? O’Reilly wasn’t worth a late 1st and a prospect (Tage) himself? I would hope so ? Instead, the Sabres devalued the asset by taking on 2 poor assets with bad contracts. I would think a team would give up a first or an asset to get rid of bad contract(s)...  let alone get a 2C in return.

Isnt that what the Sabres gave up for Montour? A late first and prospect for a top 4 defenseman? Why the hell didn’t we throw in Okposo as a salary dump?!?! ?

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Are you sure? O’Reilly wasn’t worth a late 1st and a prospect (Tage) himself? I would hope so ? Instead, the Sabres devalued the asset by taking on 2 poor assets with bad contracts. I would think a team would give up a first or an asset to get rid of bad contract(s)...  let alone get a 2C in return.

Isnt that what the Sabres gave up for Montour? A late first and prospect for a top 4 defenseman? Why the hell didn’t we throw in Okposo as a salary dump?!?! ?

Botterill lost the ROR deal badly.  End of story.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, Carmel Corn said:

The first paragraph is right on, but not sure about the 2nd.  

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, inkman said:

False.  He was a salary dump that he took on to get the pick and prospect. 

He took on 2 cap dumps because he (or Pegula) wanted somebody else to be on the hook for O'Reilly's bonus payment and to help the numbers work. It doesn't change the fact that it was a ***** deal made even shittier by how poorly Sobotka has played and the fact that before Berglund left he was an almost $4 million guy playing on the 4th line with two other plugs in Girgensons and Larsson. At least Berglund quit and we aren't stucking with his cap hit for 4 seasons, but it doesn't change the fact that O'Reilly out produces all 3 of these supposedly "valueable depth players" single handedly. Apparently a bunch of nothing and a lottery ticket was worth it, but I still don't see how.

Thompson at least has the chance of improving over the next few seasons, but even if his improves to the point of becoming a regular top 6 forward that's still a big drop from having one of the 5 or 10 best #2 centers in the league.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.