Sabres Practice Report 2/28/2019

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Samson's Flow said:

Agreed. At this point Jack and Sam on separate lines should be a foregone conclusion.

They should be reunited when:

1. The Sabres are on the Power Play

2. The Sabres are trying to score a late goal to tie it (empty net situation)

3. Eichel - Skinner have grown cold with Pommer or whoever, but as soon as they get going again, move Sam back to the second line.

My initial thought was "this is my favorite line-up so far this year" because Sobotka is absent. Then I noticed Reinhart on line 1 and Okposo on line 2. Keep pommers on line 1, Reinhart on line 2 and Okposo on the 4th line and I'd think we might have something. 

Whatever, I stopped caring sometime earlier this month. Hopefully Dahlin puts up a point or two.

Go Sabres.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This season has become such a bummer.

But Dahlin? He's a sparkler of a bright spot.

Yep.  This.  Dahlin is 5 points away from passing Bobby Orr to become the second highest scoring 18 year old dman ever.  That’s what I’m watching for.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

I wish I felt the same 

I get and appreciate what he’s doing, but it’s hard to get as excited about an 18 year old breaking the D record as it would be a forward. There’s little doubt in my mind he’s going to be phenomenal, but I’ll always be a forward first guy. 

3 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Agreed. At this point Jack and Sam on separate lines should be a foregone conclusion.

Pommers with Jack & Jeff gives that line ~90% of the effectiveness of Sam with that pair, and Sam on the second line turns them from road kill into an offensive threat.

It's right. But then who will score in the second line?

Skinner-Eichel-Wilson
Sheary-Rodrigues-Reinhart 

Okposo-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Girgensons-Larsson-Pominville

I might actually like them to try this combination above as a whole I don't think its been done. 

I really don't understand what Phil see's and is trying to do with his line combo's when the biggest issue i continually see and hear isn't the combos', Its the "we weren't ready to play, they had more desperation, excuses being trotted out.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, steveoath said:

Dear oh dear.

(Image from insta via @sabres.feed )

IMG_20190228_230127.jpg

Samson becomes the third most important player on the Jack/Jeff line, as he defers to those two to drive play. When he is on his own line, he is the one who drives play and has the puck on his stick most of the time.

I honestly cannot see how PH doesn't recognize this.

21 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They should be reunited when:

1. The Sabres are on the Power Play

2. The Sabres are trying to score a late goal to tie it (empty net situation)

3. Eichel - Skinner have grown cold with Pommer or whoever, but as soon as they get going again, move Sam back to the second line.

I'm down with scenario #1 & #2, but even in #3 above I would let them figure it out on their own, because of how ineffective the rest of the lines are when we stack line 1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.