How bad is Tage? Should he be in Rochester?

LGR4GM

22 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's the nub of my question.

I appreciate the feedback, and have concluded that these aren't the charts I'm looking for.

Move along!

Tage really could have benefited from a full season in Rochester. Would JBot have allowed it? I think the Wilson and Nylander injuries threw a pretty big wrench in our opening lineup, and then it became the question of... canTage and Mittelstadt be able to learn what it takes to succeed up here? I think by midseason we could have sent them down, although their futures are both bright.

For Nylander, his stats indicate a simple game this year in the AHL... when by draft status we'd hope he'd be more in the Olofsson/CJ Smith range. The question is, can he look like Wilson away from the puck and look like a Nylander when he gets the puck?

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Personally I've given up on caring and don't see him in our future. This guy could be a great winger in this league with his natural physical attributes but he seems to be lacking two things and I don't think he will develop them. The first is to beef up and add strength and power to his size. That guy wants to be great he should be pumping iron and building muscle every day. Second tenacity and desire. Get in front, fight for the puck, use that size and get dirty instead of floating around the margins and taking long wrist shots. Guy COULD be a beast but I do not think he has it in him. Don't know if anyone here will remember, but to me he's Joe Kowal redux. (6'5" winger played a few games in the 70s and used to do - nothing)

If he only knew the power of the dark side... Yes. He really needs time to mature into his frame. Realistically, that will take a few seasons. The tenacity is harder to come by. It can be learned, but that is where he needs the AHL seasoning. He could dominate down there even without the tenacity, but that's where the carrot of the NHL is dangled. I think he can still get that up here with the right coaching, but it's more frustrating for him (and us) because the talent of the opposition won't give him the time and space to simultaneously build some confidence.

My fear is that he's a gentle giant and our fan base is very much against that. My hope is that he becomes that streaky second-line sniper who can get going, realize how good he is, and carry the team for a couple weeks at a time (preferably April-June), even if he'll be maddening at others.

18 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sigh.

When you look back at that roster of 2005-2007, you just see terrific contributors up and down the lineup. Every time you scroll to another name, it's like, "holy spit! that guy was on the team too!" I know it's been said a million times, but ... it's a crime that they didn't win the Cup in 2006.

Yup. That one hurt. I love watching the goatheads, too.

Edit: Apologies, I should've used the multi-quote feature, but all y'all were on different pages.

Edited by DarthEbriate

51 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Definitely should be in Rochester, same with Middlestadt.

Has any player ever been 'damaged' by spending too much time in the minors? Compared to how many may be damaged by being rushed into a situation they arent ready for?

It's maddening. 

18 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Definitely should be in Rochester, same with Middlestadt.

Has any player ever been 'damaged' by spending too much time in the minors? Compared to how many may be damaged by being rushed into a situation they arent ready for?

Not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but someone put forth the thought that no, Mitts and the Giraffe shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but a large in infusion from the AHL is expected next year and JBot took the two players who were closest in his estimation to NHL level and put them in the NHL this year so that the 3 or 4 that will move up next year wouldn't be 5 or 6.  He chose to spread it out a little.

We'll see if it was a good strategy.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but someone put forth the thought that no, Mitts and the Giraffe shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but a large in infusion from the AHL is expected next year and JBot took the two players who were closest in his estimation to NHL level and put them in the NHL this year so that the 3 or 4 that will move up next year wouldn't be 5 or 6.  He chose to spread it out a little.

We'll see if it was a good strategy.

My belief with this is again 'Has any player been ruined by spending too much time in the minors?'. I believe that the Redwings system has always been that they keep guys down and dont try to rush them up before they are ready. It's better that they stay down too long then be brought up too early.

Would it really have hurt Tage or Casey to play in Rochester this year? Would it not have been better to next year maybe still bring up 4, but leave the bottom 2 of their top 6 down a little longer? Or force the players to earn their time in the NHL by having to beat out guys on the NHL roster first, rather then giving them spots based off of their background and draft positions?

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Tage needs to meet whoever Eichel used as strength coach. Eichel uses his size really well, nice strong skating style and can put himself about a bit. You expect a big guy to be chucking himself about.

Being a good 5" taller than Jack is going to make it difficult to put on that muscle mass.  This is where being a guy Gionta's size is beneficial. Those tiny little muscles are a heck of a lot easier to bulk up than the giraffe size limbs Tage is dealing with. 

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Those tiny little muscles are a heck of a lot easier to bulk up than the giraffe size limbs Tage is dealing with. 

But think of the size he'd be if he ate his weight in steak each day!!! J j j j jacked.

10 hours ago, steveoath said:

Tage needs to meet whoever Eichel used as strength coach. Eichel uses his size really well, nice strong skating style and can put himself about a bit. You expect a big guy to be chucking himself about.

His name is Mike Boyle. Author of a couple books and 100s of articles online. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Being a good 5" taller than Jack is going to make it difficult to put on that muscle mass.  This is where being a guy Gionta's size is beneficial. Those tiny little muscles are a heck of a lot easier to bulk up than the giraffe size limbs Tage is dealing with. 

Don't really think this is true.

most-built-nba-players.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

And Pasta send him to Bruce Smiths eatery forget the name of the place in Buffalo

Yes...sending him to the farm in my mind means to the "fat" farm to put some pounds on.  If he can't build muscle, then put on some fat instead.  TT is so darn lean, he makes Karen Carpenter and Twiggy look obese.

11 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes...sending him to the farm in my mind means to the "fat" farm to put some pounds on.  If he can't build muscle, then put on some fat instead.  TT is so darn lean, he makes Karen Carpenter and Twiggy look obese.

Man are those some old man references.  ?. PAsabresfan would be proud.  

11 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Karen Carpenter only looks thin when she stands Close to You.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.