How bad is Tage? Should he be in Rochester?

LGR4GM

47 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Tage has moments on the ice where I see the potential and he could be something. He occasionally is able to deke through defenders and use his long reach and strong shot to look dangerous.

Unfortunately, that is drastically offset by other times looking like a newborn giraffe on ice,

The funny thing is, there is a strong Venn Diagram overlap between those two:  When he's doing effective hockey player things, he *still* looks like a newborn giraffe on the ice.  ?

At times, Tage shows almost what appears to be "elite" levels of puck/stick control.  There is a lot of talent buried in there somewhere, but it just doesn't come out very often.

Reminds me of Max Afinogenov in that sense.  Another guy with a lot of talent, but it never translated to squat on an ice rink.

I can only assume Tage is dumb as dirt as he appears to have no hockey IQ of any kind.

Personally I've given up on caring and don't see him in our future. This guy could be a great winger in this league with his natural physical attributes but he seems to be lacking two things and I don't think he will develop them. The first is to beef up and add strength and power to his size. That guy wants to be great he should be pumping iron and building muscle every day. Second tenacity and desire. Get in front, fight for the puck, use that size and get dirty instead of floating around the margins and taking long wrist shots. Guy COULD be a beast but I do not think he has it in him. Don't know if anyone here will remember, but to me he's Joe Kowal redux. (6'5" winger played a few games in the 70s and used to do - nothing)

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

GAR is goals above replacement. A replacement level player is one who could be easily acquired for little to no cost immediately, such as via waivers or league minimum contract. 

You misunderstand me. I'm way behind on this particular style of charting. I have no idea what means what in terms of what's being depicted visually

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

At times, Tage shows almost what appears to be "elite" levels of puck/stick control.  There is a lot of talent buried in there somewhere, but it just doesn't come out very often.

Reminds me of Max Afinogenov in that sense.  Another guy with a lot of talent, but it never translated to squat on an ice rink. 

I can only assume Tage is dumb as dirt as he appears to have no hockey IQ of any kind.

I believe in Tage.

He absolutely reminds me of Max, in a much more giraffy package.  I think he's still learning the NHL level game (speed/toughness/etc.) and will look much better next year.  He could be a scoring winger I could also see him being a good two-way player with that long reach, and Angry Tage along the boards is pretty scary to opponents from what I've seen.  Actually, if he played angry all the time I think he'd be better.

As to your assessment of Afinogenov, I think he led the Sabres in scoring at least one year.  Over 9 seasons with the Sabres he averaged 37 points per season (not adjusted to an 82 game season, and he missed significant time a few of those seasons), and coming out of the lockout had a 73 and a 61 point season.  He was great on the third line with Vanek and Roy.

Edited by Doohickie

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I believe in Tage.

He absolutely reminds me of Max, in a much more giraffy package.  I think he's still learning the NHL level game (speed/toughness/etc.) and will look much better next year.  He could be a scoring winger I could also see him being a good two-way player with that long reach, and Angry Tage along the boards is pretty scary to opponents from what I've seen.  Actually, if he played angry all the time I think he'd be better.

As to your assessment of Afenigenov, I think he led the Sabres in scoring at least one year.

2005-2006 he tailed 73 points in 78 games to lead the team. I know this isn’t what you were getting at, but Drury led the team with 30 goals.

Sigh.

When you look back at that roster of 2005-2007, you just see terrific contributors up and down the lineup. Every time you scroll to another name, it's like, "holy spit! that guy was on the team too!" I know it's been said a million times, but ... it's a crime that they didn't win the Cup in 2006.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

One last bit about Max:  When Chris Drury had the memorable goal with 7.7 seconds left to tie the Rangers in the playoffs in 2007, it was Max that capped the win.

Yup.  Good times.

You remember what the commentator said after Mad Max scored in OT ... *out of the doghouse and into the winner circle* ... something like that anyway.  So, Max was having his issues and Lindy benched / sat him, or something ... where in the blazes is Taro when you need him.  He has a mind like a steel trap.  He remembers everything.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.  Good times.

You remember what the commentator said after Mad Max scored in OT ... *out of the doghouse and into the winner circle* ... something like that anyway.  So, Max was having his issues and Lindy benched / sat him, or something ... where in the blazes is Taro when you need him.  He has a mind like a steel trap.  He remembers everything.

*out of the line up and into the game 5 winner circle!*

Your memory is not bad.

Compared to mine quite extraordinary.

pssstt..

It's at the end of Doo's video he posted. I watched and listened. It's just over a minute long, about my attention span. It's not like I researched it and went all fancy stat on you or anything.?

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.  Good times.

Max was yelled at by Lindy because he would stay out on the ice too long and messed up Ruffs matchups. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Personally I've given up on caring and don't see him in our future. This guy could be a great winger in this league with his natural physical attributes but he seems to be lacking two things and I don't think he will develop them. The first is to beef up and add strength and power to his size. That guy wants to be great he should be pumping iron and building muscle every day. Second tenacity and desire. Get in front, fight for the puck, use that size and get dirty instead of floating around the margins and taking long wrist shots. Guy COULD be a beast but I do not think he has it in him. Don't know if anyone here will remember, but to me he's Joe Kowal redux. (6'5" winger played a few games in the 70s and used to do - nothing)

TT and Mittelstadt need to spend the summer with Risto.  He'll make a man out of them.

TT's game today brings back memories of Taylor Pyatt to me.

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What the heck is GAR?

Never mind.  I don't think I really want to know.

I think Tage (still think that is a pretty silly name, but it is kind of growing on me ... Tagesie has a bit of a ring to it) will be fine, but he could use some time in Rochester.

With that name he should be on the PGA tour

Edited by Claude Balls

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Max led the team with 73 points in '05-'06.

Yeah, we already covered that.  He averaged 37 points per year for 9 years, some of which were abbreviated.

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, Max was having his issues and Lindy benched / sat him, or something ... where in the blazes is Taro when you need him.  He has a mind like a steel trap.  He remembers everything.

The New York Times also remembers.

Afinogenov had been struggling offensively; he was benched in Game 4 after ineffective play in the first three games. 

Tage is talented but seems to lack the ability to close.  He gets a lot of scoring opportunities and so far has not been able to convert consistently.  In the defensIve  zone he is mostly a liability.   

He can work harder on strength and become a beast but until his hockey IQ increases he will always appear to be someone that falls short on their potential.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.