Personal political journey

North Buffalo

Ill start: Didnt have a choice... after my Dad left the Navy as a EOD Frogman, I was born into Berkeley CA during the beginning of the anti-war vietnam protests that melded with the free speech and civil rights movements that my folks became active in while my Dad and Mom went to grad school.  Moved to Buffalo summer of '68.  Buffalo protests were just getting going.  

Dad joined UB English dept faculty and local politics. Professors got sick of Buffalo police going on campus and harrassing students and professors.  Former military guys professors planned at our dining room table to set up police.  Lesie Fiedler (conressional medal of honor winner WWII) Richard Fly (special forces Vietnam) Fred See (Army) My Dad, Prof Haas, Charlie ? Marine, and more planned a sit in, 45 got arrested. '71 or '72 entire teacher's union for SUNY system went on strike.  Gov Rockefeller was called in... kicked Police off campus unless real crime being committed and wiped professors record clean.

Lit dropped with my folks for John LaFalce and various other candidates as a kid.  Moved to Amherst started a PEACE organization at HS had a rally... whatever.  Went to Geneseo for year and a half and was bored... took time off moved to DC and transferred into GW.  Became President of Alexandria YDs and interned on AL Gore's 88 Presidential Campaign.  Attended VA inaugural campaign for  Doug Wilder, elected State Presidential Delegate for Bill Clinton. Finished 4th overall in Alexandria.  Obtained first job on Capitol Hill Clerk for Office of Records of Registration and worked my way up flag pole working for 4 moderate members of Congress, Bill Clinton at USDA and Leader Tom Daschle in US Senate.  Got out in 2005.  Post 911, Anthrax exposure, sniper shooter, ricin scare in Frist's Office happened to almost go down that corridor and finally idiot governor invading DC airspace right before Reagan's funeral.  Son was 2 months old.  Told my wife I was done.  Moved north to get away and decompress.  Used moniker on twobillsdrive.com YellowLinesandArmadillos for many years.  A quote from GOP whip Tom Delay... the only things in the middle of the road are yellow lines and dead armadillos.  Trump presidency is sucking me back in though no intention of full blown activity.

Edited by North Buffalo

Hello.  My name is @Sabel79 and I was a teenage Republican.  I grew up with hardcore liberal parents, had to annoy them somehow. My father was an officer in the Army.  Would not ever shut up about how Reagan should be hung for treason (his campaign negotiating with the Iranian government to prevent the release of American hostages as long as possible to make Carter look bad, with the support of most of the military brass) he wasn’t wrong, but I wasn’t old/smart enough to process that.  Instead I discovered Rush Limbaugh, combined with my cosseted private school existence, yeah, the problem is the poors. 

I went to college, history major, and started actually learning.  And hoo boy did I learn.  The overwhelming theme is that capital will keep its boot on the neck of the people at any cost.  This is the story of the world.  This is the reason the U.S. even happened, but that’s for another day.  I can not support a person logical/economic system which benefits the few at the great expense of he masses.  I’m not a communist, but capital’s thumb needs to be kept off the scale.  And lately, we have stopped caring about the thumb and are mad at the scale.  

Humanity is basically two groups.  The few who have everything and trample anything and anyone because they can, and the many who cheer them on in the mistaken belief that they’ll be doing the trampling someday.  

Me, now, just praying for that asteroid that will even things out... 

Oooo, this is a fun thread.

My parents were never political. I had no basis from them.  We weren't religious either and that's just the way it goes.

My initial leanings were probably heavily Republican.  Growing up we did not have much and my Dad worked his butt off to get us what we needed. We didn't ask for handouts (although I found out later we actually did get some at times when his company was on strike).  Speaking of which, I also learned to hate labor unions during that time (a great sticking point between my Dad and me until he retired).

Basically, my mentality was, work for stuff and you'll get what you deserve. But it means really working and not being so damn conceited that any job was beneath you.

During my time in high school I found the concept of law and history interesting.  So, I went to school, as a dual major in Computer Science and Political Science. Ultimately dropped the Comp Sci. as I really suck at calculus and apparently it was very important. My focus in Political Science was in comparative politics and law. I did a lot of sociiology and psychology as well.  It changed a lot of my viewpoints.  I decided I didn't want to be a politician (sell my soul) or a lawyer (sell my soul) and sadly I was also not going into law enforcement.

I grew up hating big companies because they inevitably were 50% of the problem with labor unions making up the other 50%. Both sides deluded in what was best and in the middle employees getting screwed. I hated large corporations but during college I learned more about money and life and kind of wanted a lot of those things. I had never had money so wouldn't it be good to bust my butt to be able to make a really good wage?

Somewhere along the way my views softened and I am happier just making my way in the world.  I've stepped WAY back from money is everything.  I'm consigned to the fact that I learned this too late and am buried in the system and can't break out of it without seriously impacting my wife and kids.

I'm still a fiscally conservative person and I am socially progressive. Both sides are wrong. But as I've said in other threads, I've largely given up trying to change the world.  I would love to do it, but I've lost faith.  I still raise my voice once in awhile but I usually end up regretting it as I get shouted down by people on either side.

In the end, I feel like a person who has tried hard to never be defined in any camp and just looked for what made the most sense.

LTS, I think our political beliefs are more similar than different.

I don't know how to avoid turning this into a novella.

I grew up in an apolitical household.  Neither parent voted.  Dad often proclaimed that they were all criminals so what's the point.  My dad's parents, however, were very politcal.  Grampa was a die hard Republican and Gramma was a true blooded Democrat.  We had terrific political conversations at their house.  Those conversations are some of my most cherished memories.  My moms parents never talked politics.  Her dad was a Teamster though, so I assume if he did vote, it was probably blue.

My family went to church, but I wouldn't call us religious. My parents were definitely going through the motions.  I believed in God.  Or rather, told myself I believed in God.  But doubted.

As an older teen I definitely leaned red.  I was fascinated with military technology and already figured out that the military got fancier new toys under Republican Presidents than Democrats.  And I hunted and messed around with firearms.  NRA was sort of a given.

My first job out of college was with a defense contractor.  It was well understood that voting Republican helped assure job security.  And that was reinforced when, under a Democrat controlled Congress, the funding for the project I was working on got cancelled and suddenly I was no longer working for a defense contractor.  Now I was mad at the Democrats.

I ended up in the auto industry and became quite frustrated with watching what bargained rules were doing to hamper my abilities to get things done.  The rules bargained for by the UAW had every appearance of being intended for one thing, maximizing dues paying members. It was incredibly wasteful, but it didn't seem to matter to the UAW.   The car companies were pigs to be bled.  And unions being closely associated with the Democrats only served to further my dislike for the party.

And then an interesting thing happened.  Well... several interesting things.  The unions were pretty much broken.  The Religious Right took over Republican party influence.  And mass shootings started happening. 

It didn't take long for me to notice that with weakened unions, employee benefits were trending downward.  First retirement plans were changed to 401K's.  Then the matching contributions started dropping.  Health insurance benefits got trimmed, and the premiums increased.  (Co-pays.  What a shocker that was the first time I had to co-pay)  And then the entire auto industry moved to a model where only core business functions were done by direct hire employees.  By 2000, 2/3 of my co-workers were "bundled service" employees, employed by contracted agencies.  Benefits really took a nosedive then.  Corporations were clearly taking advantage of the loss of Labor's influence in American politics.

9/11 happened.  And we started a war that we are still fighting.  And the Great Recession hit.  My son was now fast approaching draft age, and my good job (used to be great job) in the auto industry was gone.   I struggled for 5 years taking positions I was overqualified for to keep employed.  And watched our country protect and prop up the people and companies that were complicit in the economic crash. While only token gestures were made towards folks like me that made ends meet, but barely.  And I worried that my boy, my only child, might get sent away to fight a battle only rich, powerful people seemed to benefit from and no longer seemed to have a purpose.

Along the way I found myself working side by side with people from all over the world, of different religions, cultures, and sexual orientations.  The automotive industry is nothing if not diverse.  It is truly global.

At some point during the ealry days of the recession I realized I was not a Republican.  Still fiscally conservative, I found myself more and more anti-military action, pro diversity, and (surprising to me) I even got on board with the rationale behind legalizing drugs, especially marijuana.  I now tend to sympathize with the labor side of labor/business issues as I believe the balance has tipped too far the other way.  And I've come to accept that society just isn't responsible enough anymore to allow firearm ownership without background checks and limitations.

I'm not a Democrat.  They turned their back on labor when Ronnie broke Labor, and they chased corporate donations just as the Republicans did/do.  And I cannot get behind the party changing their platform to a social platform over a labor platform.  Not that I disagree with their stated stance, but IMO their platform is cake and circuses while they participate in handing over the country to business interests, just as the Republican platform on immigration, gun control, and global warming is cake and circuses for the same purpose.  I am a firm believer that we are an oligarchy now, and the group in control is big business.  And Democrats are in bed with them every bit as much as Republicans.

I've labeled myself libertarian.  Note the lower case L.  I don't buy a good chunk of the Libertarian party platform.  It seems to me that it tends to favor conditions that would allow the strongest to prosper and the weakest to whither.  I think that mindset is counter to prosperous societies.  We as a species formed civilizations for the purpose of maximizing the chances of survival for all, not just the strongest, smartest, boldest, most aggressive.  But yet, I agree with the overall concept of personal freedom and accountability that is central to the libertarian idea.

And with that, my brain is drained.  It's been a long day.  I've probably fleshed this out poorly.  I am open and gutted for all to see.

I'm not quoting it all...

That's a really great write up.  Your grandparents should be brought out to the general public on Exhibit A for how to co-exist.  I would have loved to hear some of those conversations.

I think our political beliefs are very closely aligned. I call myself libertarian but not with the platform. 

For me the core problem isn't politics, it's that politics have finally come to represent our society.  We're a materialistic society that are all about self-promotion over the the benefit of all. "Me first and perhaps only me".  There are obviously people who don't think this way.  I can't be surprised that politicians feel that way too.  

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I was kind of hoping this thread would get more action.  I wonder how many folks retain the same political leanings they had as a young adult.

I still lean to the party side of things, but I agree there is always a balance and see lots of hypocrisy on all sides.  I probably agree a lot with you Weave and LTS on where I would like our country to go... personal responsibility and work ethic is important to me.  Accountability and balance the budget are important and I agree that the military and the big corporations right now have to much power.  Economic health I believe is achieved by diversity and as the quote goes from "Goodfellows" Spread a little chear"  Corporations will always get their piece of the pie, but where money is spread around the economy grows and grows faster... this is about control from the so called Oligarchs however you define them and they use whatever tactics to retain power including religion.  A healthy economy is not their goal, power and control is.  In the US during the Robber Baron days, and the industrial development days it was the same... we imo are going through this cycle again and again it is painful, but it is not new.  

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Can you expand on the military has too much power?

Not speaking for NB, but for me that doesn't mean the 4 branches of the armed services have too much power.  It means the military industrial complex has too much influence.  Companies like Raytheon, Lockheed, McKesson, UTC and L3 have too much influence over foreign policy and budgets.  After WWII, Eisenhower warned the country about allowing the military industry complex too much influence.  He was right IMO.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a debate thread about specific topics.  It's really about discussing how you've come to your political leanings.  Would like to hear yours.

10 hours ago, Weave said:

I was kind of hoping this thread would get more action.  I wonder how many folks retain the same political leanings they had as a young adult.

It will, but the type of post that this thread calls for takes a good 30 mins to compose if we're to do the exercise properly.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Not speaking for NB, but for me that doesn't mean the 4 branches of the armed services have too much power.  It means the military industrial complex has too much influence.  Companies like Raytheon, Lockheed, McKesson, UTC and L3 have too much influence over foreign policy and budgets.  After WWII, Eisenhower warned the country about allowing the military industry complex too much influence.  He was right IMO.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a debate thread about specific topics.  It's really about discussing how you've come to your political leanings.  Would like to hear yours.

I see your point. Just wasn’t sure what angle you were coming from. I’m not really into politics as much as I am making fun of politicians. I’m sure some of them mean well but I question the motivations of the heavy hitters. It’s only been recently were I have paid more attention to foreign policy issues.

My pet peeve sort of is how POTUS gets dumped on concerning meeting with KJU. A lot of talking about what he’s doing wrong but nothing about what he should do differently. 

To stay on point I think I have always felt conservative but at heart the Constitution is our country’s foundation and second to the Bible. Politics was never a topic of discussion at home and I came from a normal suburban up bringing. I fell into the post 911, Bush can do no wrong but almost 17 years and a few combat deployments along with other life experiences has taught me a few things.

I believe all are created equal and certain social issues get a boost to cause deeper divides than what naturally exist. Political correctness means being too timid to speak your mind out of fear of being ostracized. This continues to be a problem because too many people think their feelings matter to those they have not met. Toxic masculinity is also a lack of masculinity. 

Hope this is within the spirit of the thread. Next I’ll post my SSN.

My political leanings have mostly stayed the same. I lean very hard to the left on most things. But have a few subjects that go to the right.

Over the years I have softened the edges of my leanings and become disillusioned to the effectiveness of our 2 party system.

They say wisdom comes with age. As I have aged the only wisdom to my politics as been my ability to consider other people's ideas as correct.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:43 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Can you expand on the military has too much power?

Should have been clearer...

On 3/2/2019 at 7:36 AM, Weave said:

This, having seen contractors make ridiculous cash for things in the civilian world that cost much less both with a military or medical tag on it has jaded me.  Not the folks that serve... Know many and to a person they all complain about the cost of such things.  Also post military health care is pathetic... part of the problem is pay does not equal that of the civilian world so recruiting nurses, techs etc is a problem in trying to get better people.    At least that is my experience.