How far do we fall in the standings??

John Tucker

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

5 of our last 8 games are vs. NJ, OTT & Detroit...imagine being fighting for a playoff spot ending the season with 10 points to take from teams at the bottom of the league?  That could have been cool.

Except when they wouldn't have beaten the bottom feeders and we'd be super pissed missing the playoffs because we lost to OTT 4 times. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

5 of our last 8 games are vs. NJ, OTT & Detroit...imagine being fighting for a playoff spot ending the season with 10 points to take from teams at the bottom of the league?  That could have been cool.

The entire history of this franchise is earmarked with "IF"s and "BUT"s.

Nothing new there.

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

How cool would it be if unicorns came flying into the arena being led by Saquatch throwing million dollar bills around to all the fans in the arena one night?

While I do agree that that would be cool, it could never happen. There is no such thing as a million dollar bill.

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

While I do agree that that would be cool, it could never happen. There is no such thing as a million dollar bill.

I saw one once sticking out of a Pot o' Gold at the end of a rainbow. I went to grab it for proof that it existed but, a voice came from under a bridge and told me "run, the Ogre is coming.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

23 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Rangers (1 point back) play Edmonton tonight (2 points back) and Chicago (2 points back) plays AZ.

A Edmonton OT win coupled with a Chicago win will put us in a 4-way tie for 7th place (with Van 4 points behind and ANA 6 points back).

Will the Sabres be capable of winning the next without Eichel?  My gut tells me at least one of those games they'll over perform and pull off a win but my other gut tells me "if you though the Avs game was embarrassing, just wait and check this out".

I feel like 7th is the lowest we can go but with this team in free-fall and a few bounces for VAN or ANA we can conceivable sink even lower.

I hate that I'm doing this analysis right now ? 

Edmonton beat the Rangers in OT and Chicago smoked AZ last night....which puts in a 4-way 69-point tie for 7th last place.

Nice.

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Edmonton beat the Rangers in OT and Chicago smoked AZ last night....which puts in a 4-way 69-point tie for 7th last place.

Nice.

We still have a game in hand on those other teams though. However, I have full confidence in this organization to lose that game and look pathetic while doing so.

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I suspect no lower than 5th pick unless we win(?) a lottery pick.

I think it's be very difficult for Vancouver (65 points) to overtake us and nearly impossible for Anaheim (63 points). To reach us. 7th seems like the lucky number which could potentially drop us down to 10th...or up to 1 2 or 3.

If we place in the lottery, do we keep that pick or trade down? I'd trade down in a heartbeat to get some immediate help for the team. Potentially you can trade with Tampa to bring in Point & their 2019 first. We'd get immediate forward help + still have 2 first round picks...although i hesitate to help get Tampa a top 3 pick in this hypothetical situation...but a similar trade like that is what I'd do.

14 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I think it's be very difficult for Vancouver (65 points) to overtake us and nearly impossible for Anaheim (63 points). To reach us. 7th seems like the lucky number which could potentially drop us down to 10th...or up to 1 2 or 3.

If we place in the lottery, do we keep that pick or trade down? I'd trade down in a heartbeat to get some immediate help for the team. Potentially you can trade with Tampa to bring in Point & their 2019 first. We'd get immediate forward help + still have 2 first round picks...although i hesitate to help get Tampa a top 3 pick in this hypothetical situation...but a similar trade like that is what I'd do.

IF we win the lottery you want to trade out? That is a terrible idea. If we get the 1st or 2nd pick we would be getting immediate help anyways. Tampa's 2019 first is most likely going to be either 30 or 31 so basically a second. You draft Kakko or Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

IF we win the lottery you want to trade out? That is a terrible idea. If we get the 1st or 2nd pick we would be getting immediate help anyways. Tampa's 2019 first is most likely going to be either 30 or 31 so basically a second. You draft Kakko or Hughes. 

Maybe Tampa was a bad example...but trading back to a team sitting in the 5-10 range? In the hypothetical situation that the Sabres place in the draft lottery, what if we can trade that pick and saddle it with Okposo as a cap dump? I admittedly don't know other teams farm systems / cap situations to know who'd be a suitor (that's JBOTs job). I'd rather bring in a sure prospect not an 18 year old frame with more auxiliary help than draft one skilled winger.

Edited by Mustache of God

34 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Maybe Tampa was a bad example...but trading back to a team sitting in the 5-10 range? In the hypothetical situation that the Sabres place in the draft lottery, what if we can trade that pick and saddle it with Okposo as a cap dump? I admittedly don't know other teams farm systems / cap situations to know who'd be a suitor (that's JBOTs job). I'd rather bring in a sure prospect not an 18 year old frame with more auxiliary help than draft one skilled winger.

Dont think anyone has anyone in the prospect pipeline that would compare to either Hughes or Kakko.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I read somewhere that the Sabres are currently 7th-last, which gives them a 20% chance of moving up into the top 3 in the draft. 

That would be a decent consolation prize, but still wouldn't add much optimism for next year IMHO.

Agreed buta top 3 pick will make the prospect camp much more interesting next July.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.