House cleaning continues at PSE

PromoTheRobot

On 3/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, Eleven said:

Well, the structural problems with the bid itself would be on Brandon's head, as you noted.  

I'm sure a lot of tix are reserved for the four schools involved, but not comped.  

Interesting observation on concerts.  I went to U2 two years ago and can't think of the last time the stadium was used for a concert before that.  (Or since.  I guess I'm not really a big stadium show guy.)

And if they can't fill the arena for Frozen Four, it's on them*; just like the 2018 WJC, the prices are ridiculous.

*EDIT:  Or on whoever sets the prices.  $120 for a 300 level seat?!

I'll revisit this one.  Apparently over the last week or so there have been a bunch of phone calls going out to people who have tickets, identified as from the NCAA, checking to see if they need extras or know anyone else that wants them.  They must really be hurting on this one.

12 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

More like the F@#$ing Sabres. Pegulas ruined the world juniors, now the frozen four. March madness must be next. 

One day, not many years ago, Terry Pegula stood in front of a collection of energy executives and stated "I don't care if this oil well makes money, if it doesn't, I'll just buy another hockey team"

• Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'll go but I'm not paying an arm and a leg to do it. If I can get club level seats in a 5k seat arena for a top 5 team in college hockey for under $50 apiece why exactly should I expect to pay much more than that in an arena that is 4x larger?

I've been to the arena with Pegula's frigging name on it a bunch of times and it's extremely affordable. Just slapping NCAA on it doesn't make it that much better an experience.  $120 each for 300 level seats? On what planet is that reasonable? They did the same thing to World Juniors. I was all set to go with my son then saw the ticket prices. No way in hell! 

I like hockey a lot. I like NCAA and Junior hockey a lot. So do a lot of people. That doesn't make us saps.

643 for 2 seats in 200's for frozen four. I was stupid enough to by them. 

10 hours ago, shrader said:

I'll revisit this one.  Apparently over the last week or so there have been a bunch of phone calls going out to people who have tickets, identified as from the NCAA, checking to see if they need extras or know anyone else that wants them.  They must really be hurting on this one.

I don't doubt it.  I also don't know who is in charge of pricing, but it's insane.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It appears that the people responsible for pricing were sent packing.

Uh, where's the flat management structure we heard about? Terry and/or Kim didn't have anything to do with the pricing? No sign-off after similar problems with the World Junior tournament?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Uh, where's the flat management structure we heard about? Terry and/or Kim didn't have anything to do with the pricing? No sign-off after similar problems with the World Junior tournament?

I'm not sure how far that principle extends -- whether they ... drill down that far when it comes to managing an event. I tend to doubt it.

OTOH, you can readily see a scenario where the Pegulas settle on a number that they'll pay to make the Frozen Four work. And maybe that number is aggressive (BECAUSE HOCKEY HEAVEN!). And then it's up to those who work for them to make that number work. So, in that way, the Pegulas would have had a significant role in the event's pricing (because they paid too much for it).

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'll go but I'm not paying an arm and a leg to do it. If I can get club level seats in a 5k seat arena for a top 5 team in college hockey for under $50 apiece why exactly should I expect to pay much more than that in an arena that is 4x larger?

I've been to the arena with Pegula's frigging name on it a bunch of times and it's extremely affordable. Just slapping NCAA on it doesn't make it that much better an experience.  $120 each for 300 level seats? On what planet is that reasonable? They did the same thing to World Juniors. I was all set to go with my son then saw the ticket prices. No way in hell! 

I like hockey a lot. I like NCAA and Junior hockey a lot. So do a lot of people. That doesn't make us saps.

Does that $120 cover both games on day 1?  I've been to frozen fours both ways, where it was one ticket for day one and also where they emptied out the arena and started the second game much later.  That price is still too high, but it's slightly more understandable when you're getting 2 games in 1.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't doubt it.  I also don't know who is in charge of pricing, but it's insane.

There's going to be some variability from city to city, but the prices are mostly controlled by the NCAA.  It's been a while since I went regularly, but from year to year, the prices were essentially the same.  I never once paid their price though.  It's a bit of a roll of the dice depending on which team makes it, but most years the scalpers out front were practically handing them away, which will be the case here too.  Every now and then the scalpers clean up when youhave Minnesota playing in Minnesota, or Wisconsin playing in Milwaukee, but it wasn't too frequent.  For every one of those, there were 5 in places like Columbus, Buffalo, or Tampa Bay.

Just now, shrader said:

Does that $120 cover both games on day 1?  I've been to frozen fours both ways, where it was one ticket for day one and also where they emptied out the arena and started the second game much later.  That price is still too high, but it's slightly more understandable when you're getting 2 games in 1.

There's going to be some variability from city to city, but the prices are mostly controlled by the NCAA.  It's been a while since I went regularly, but from year to year, the prices were essentially the same.  I never once paid their price though.  It's a bit of a roll of the dice depending on which team makes it, but most years the scalpers out front were practically handing them away, which will be the case here too.  Every now and then the scalpers clean up when youhave Minnesota playing in Minnesota, or Wisconsin playing in Milwaukee, but it wasn't too frequent.  For every one of those, there were 5 in places like Columbus, Buffalo, or Tampa Bay.

So one less thing to blame on PSE and one big opportunity to see some great hockey!

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So one less thing to blame on PSE and one big opportunity to see some great hockey!

I'm a little surprised that people think the pricing falls squarely on the Pegulas.  We've all met the NCAA, right?  But on another note, they did put in the bid for this event, so they should have known what they were getting into.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm a little surprised that people think the pricing falls squarely on the Pegulas.  We've all met the NCAA, right?  But on another note, they did put in the bid for this event, so they should have known what they were getting into.

That's what it really comes down to, I reckon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.