House cleaning continues at PSE

PromoTheRobot

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure whether the two are connected, but there's a word on the street that the Pegulas are poised to lose a sizable chunk of change on the Frozen Four. The timing of the bids and awards on that sort of thing would mean that Russ Brandon would have been responsible for PSE's numbers, projections. So maybe there's no connection between the Frozen Four financials and the recent shakeup. But the timing does seem somewhat conspicuous.

Good, prices are ridiculous. They priced themselves out of this market. 640 for 2 seats in 200's and I was dumb enough to buy them. They overpriced and ruined world juniors too last time. 

Just now, Ogelthorpe said:

Good, prices are ridiculous. They priced themselves out of this market. 640 for 2 seats in 200's and I was dumb enough to buy them. They overpriced and ruined world juniors too last time. 

Yep, to the point that those with 300 level tickets were being handed 200 level tickets so you could move down.  Took advantage of that.

I would never pay that much for the Frozen Four... just couldn't do it.  I'd have a hard time paying that much for any game unless it was a Stanley Cup clinching game... of course, that's my situation, not everyone's. ?

Just now, Ogelthorpe said:

Yep, to the point that those with 300 level tickets were being handed 200 level tickets so you could move down.  Took advantage of that.

I would never pay that much for the Frozen Four... just couldn't do it.  I'd have a hard time paying that much for any game unless it was a Stanley Cup clinching game... of course, that's my situation, not everyone's. ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Bad business, all around. Sorry you took a hit on those tickets -- the love for the hockey is admirable, anyway.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure whether the two are connected, but there's a word on the street that the Pegulas are poised to lose a sizable chunk of change on the Frozen Four. The timing of the bids and awards on that sort of thing would mean that Russ Brandon would have been responsible for PSE's numbers, projections. So maybe there's no connection between the Frozen Four financials and the recent shakeup. But the timing does seem somewhat conspicuous.

The bids would have been Brandon's responsibility, but not the promotion.  I think you're onto something here.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

The bids would have been Brandon's responsibility, but not the promotion.  I think you're onto something here.

Fair feckin' point

My take: The Pegulas maintain unrealistic expectations and goals re Buffalo being both destination and hearth for a Hockey Heaven. The afterglow of the 2011 World Juniors may have exacerbated that. The people who work for them in c-level capacities are perhaps motivated to give the bosses what they want. And then when reality doesn't match up with what was dreamt -- heads roll. But these kinds of problems start at the top.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair feckin' point

My take: The Pegulas maintain unrealistic expectations and goals re Buffalo being both destination and hearth for a Hockey Heaven. The afterglow of the 2011 World Juniors may have exacerbated that. The people who work for them in c-level capacities are perhaps motivated to give the bosses what they want. And then when reality doesn't match up with what was dreamt -- heads roll. But these kinds of problems start at the top.

Since my post, I've looked into it a little more.  Only 300 level seats remain available, and we don't even know who the teams are.  That's really not too bad!

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's surprising since the Frozen Four has it's own built-in following. It usually sells out no mater what teams are in.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Since my post, I've looked into it a little more.  Only 300 level seats remain available, and we don't even know who the teams are.  That's really not too bad!

Query whether and to what extent tickets are being comp'd or moved at discounted prices as part of some larger business development move.

Also, that's just the promotional side of things. From what I'd heard, there were structural problems with the bid itself -- in terms of the money that the Pegulas guaranteed to the NCAA and how PSE's budgeted revenues were built out.

Not for nothing, that's why some bigger acts have been coming to town of late (such as really big headliners who've popped into the stadium): The Pegulas are willing to stick their necks out there and say "yeah, we're good for $X,XXX,XXX" or whatever. So, credit to them for that. But there may be some hubris there -- the insistence that they can make larger market events work in a small market like this one.

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's surprising since the Frozen Four has it's own built-in following. It usually sells out no mater what teams are in.

Right - I had the same thought. But I think this goes deeper than the mere question of whether the house will be mostly full.

38 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Query whether and to what extent tickets are being comp'd or moved at discounted prices as part of some larger business development move.

Also, that's just the promotional side of things. From what I'd heard, there were structural problems with the bid itself -- in terms of the money that the Pegulas guaranteed to the NCAA and how PSE's budgeted revenues were built out.

Not for nothing, that's why some bigger acts have been coming to town of late (such as really big headliners who've popped into the stadium): The Pegulas are willing to stick their necks out there and say "yeah, we're good for $X,XXX,XXX" or whatever. So, credit to them for that. But there may be some hubris there -- the insistence that they can make larger market events work in a small market like this one.

Right - I had the same thought. But I think this goes deeper than the mere question of whether the house will be mostly full.

Well, the structural problems with the bid itself would be on Brandon's head, as you noted.  

I'm sure a lot of tix are reserved for the four schools involved, but not comped.  

Interesting observation on concerts.  I went to U2 two years ago and can't think of the last time the stadium was used for a concert before that.  (Or since.  I guess I'm not really a big stadium show guy.)

And if they can't fill the arena for Frozen Four, it's on them*; just like the 2018 WJC, the prices are ridiculous.

*EDIT:  Or on whoever sets the prices.  $120 for a 300 level seat?!

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Well, the structural problems with the bid itself would be on Brandon's head, as you noted.  

I'm sure a lot of tix are reserved for the four schools involved, but not comped.  

Interesting observation on concerts.  I went to U2 two years ago and can't think of the last time the stadium was used for a concert before that.  (Or since.  I guess I'm not really a big stadium show guy.)

And if they can't fill the arena for Frozen Four, it's on them*; just like the 2018 WJC, the prices are ridiculous.

There's a very large following within the college hockey community that typically buys these tickets up right away.  Those tickets then get bounced around in the secondary market depending on who makes the field.  Ultimately, I'd say there are two main factors for the final attendance, once of which is an immediate loss for the games in Buffalo.

1. Are there any local teams in the field?
2. Is North Dakota in it?

You might think I'm joking on #2, but I'm dead serious.  Their showing is like nothing else I've ever seen.

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's a very large following within the college hockey community that typically buys these tickets up right away.  Those tickets then get bounced around in the secondary market depending on who makes the field.  Ultimately, I'd say there are two main factors for the final attendance, once of which is an immediate loss for the games in Buffalo.

1. Are there any local teams in the field?
2. Is North Dakota in it?

You might think I'm joking on #2, but I'm dead serious.  Their showing is like nothing else I've ever seen.

That's cool; I hope UND is in it then.  Not for the commercial factor (which is nice) but because it would be really cool to see a bunch of people going crazy here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

That's cool; I hope UND is in it then.  Not for the commercial factor (which is nice) but because it would be really cool to see a bunch of people going crazy here.

I am a UND grad and went when they won it in Tampa in 2016. The other three teams fan bases consisted of family members. About 15,000 NoDaks showed up. A very large contingent of middle aged people that prefer Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks. Many chants of “Sioux Forever”. Not to worry for those easily offended - the SiouxHawks are not good this year.

Similar crowds show up in Texas every year to watch the NDSU Bison win the FCS title damn near every year  

13 hours ago, bg17 said:

I am a UND grad and went when they won it in Tampa in 2016. The other three teams fan bases consisted of family members. About 15,000 NoDaks showed up. A very large contingent of middle aged people that prefer Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks. Many chants of “Sioux Forever”. Not to worry for those easily offended - the SiouxHawks are not good this year.

Similar crowds show up in Texas every year to watch the NDSU Bison win the FCS title damn near every year  

Awesome; rooting for you.  Did UND  beat CC last night?  It was 1-0 for CC when I fell asleep.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:18 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Heard a follow up tidbit today at lunch: Of late, one or both of the Pegulas refers to the upcoming Frozen Four by adding an f-bomb prefix to it. 

They are going to have to start looking at the mirror instead of looking for patsies to blame.  They have run both franchises into the ground through terrible management and hiring decisions.

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, Eleven said:

I can remember hearing that Metallica and Guns n Roses played there early 90s, but then nothing until a few years ago. 

Since then, there was U2, I believe The Rolling Stones?, and this summer IIRC was Beyonce and Jay-Z

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I can remember hearing that Metallica and Guns n Roses played there early 90s, but then nothing until a few years ago. 

Since then, there was U2, I believe The Rolling Stones?, and this summer IIRC was Beyonce and Jay-Z

For a long time Wilson didn't want concerts there for IIRC fear of damaging the field.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.