Tage Thompson added to Amerks playoff eligible roster

inkman

Can anyone who understands what this means explain it?  Does it mean that if the Amerks make the playoffs (I understand they are very likely to make the playoffs, this is just a manner of building the question) that Tage can be sent to them without a penalty? Must go down? Other?

1 minute ago, ... said:

Can anyone who understands what this means explain it?  Does it mean that if the Amerks make the playoffs (I understand they are very likely to make the playoffs, this is just a manner of building the question) that Tage can be sent to them without a penalty? Must go down? Other?

He will be eligible to play in the post-season for the Amerks.  (He doesn't have to, but now he can go down for the playoffs.)

Dahlin & Mittelstadt are done when the Sabres are done.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Basically, is order for any player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs needed to be sent down in a paper transaction today. 

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Which I seriously question. Mitts just doesn't look ready most games. But, I don't know, maybe they see something else...……...

Yep, Casey should have been an Amerk all season with Tage. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Which I seriously question. Mitts just doesn't look ready most games. But, I don't know, maybe they see something else...……...

Agreed.  If Tage benefits from the AHL playoffs, surely Mitts would as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Basically, is order for any player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs needed to be sent down in a paper transaction today. 

Yep, Casey should have been an Amerk all season with Tage. 

This is something I’ve been thinking about lately and I’ve more or less came to the conclusion that Botts would rather break 2-3 guys into the league next year than 4-5, which would have been the case with Tage and Mitts down. Not sure what else would make sense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ... said:

Agreed.  If Tage benefits from the AHL playoffs, surely Mitts would as well.

Mitts has never gone through the grind of an A/NHL season before whereas Tage has. I think he wouldn’t gain much because he would be dog tired and set back his off-season development. Tage needs more hockey experience, Mitts need to get adjusted (this year) and then prepare for next season.

Good move 

Wonder if there is a reason why they couldn’t do the same with Casey and Dahlin - regulatory or relationship  - like the fact neither has ever played in an AHL game?

Or maybe they are going to send Tage down before the playoffs and they have no such intention with the other two?

Edited by dudacek

I've never understood the Mitts situation. Is it possible he does not want to play in the AHL and they have an unofficial agreement with him and his agent not to send him down?

As for Dahlin, I suspect they feel rest and an off season strength program (maybe) might be better for him. he's already NHL ready so I'm ok with it.

47 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

Mitts has never gone through the grind of an A/NHL season before whereas Tage has. I think he wouldn’t gain much because he would be dog tired and set back his off-season development. Tage needs more hockey experience, Mitts need to get adjusted (this year) and then prepare for next season.

This is exactly what it is. And just to expand on that a bit, that full grind is a significantly longer season than at the college level. I would t be surprised, even with them making this move, that he doesn’t actually get sent down for the playoffs. 

/--------------------------Tage's shots tonight--------------\

/                                                                                       \

-----------------/                  The broad side of the barn                           \________________

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, New Guy said:

/--------------------------Tage's shots tonight--------------\

/                                                                                       \

-----------------/                  The broad side of the barn                           \________________

Tage has a ton of power, but it matters not, he has zero accuracy. He also makes stupid decisions and rarely just goes straight nosed north to south. He needs, idk, something. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.