Trade: Beaulieu to Winnipeg for 6th rounder

LGR4GM

19 hours ago, jame said:

Do you guys get warnings from the mods for stuff like this? Just curious. 

Yea, Par Lindholm is a pending UFA. If Winnipeg was willing to give away Petan for a 13th forward rental, then Botts should've been able to get him.

Two points.

1. Yes, they do warn others as well. For what it's worth, I have been warned in the past.

2. The garbage point was because you are comparing a trade for a center to a trade for a defender.  How do you compare those and expect the same return? The guy can't crack the lineup in Buffalo compared to a guy who is buried in Toronto (a place loaded with forward talent).  It's an RFA moved out for a UFA coming in.  

3. There's no reason to assume that Botterill was not seeking more for Beaulieu and in the end took what he could get.  The trade happened at the end of the day.  It seems to me that he was looking for the best fit.

4. As Rob Ray alluded to on the broadcast last night. The trade is viewed as helping Beaulieu to potentially get more playing time in a contract year. It's not a trade to improve the Sabres specifically from a player/pick perspective but to enhance the views of players about how Buffalo's management operates when it comes to players.  These trades happen quite often.  

1 hour ago, ... said:

So here's a thought, perhaps more tangential than directly related to this sliver of conversation...

What if instead of assembling a roster of those whose stats are favorable without regard for the team and circumstances around them, and then expecting to find a coach who can create a system that works best for that assemblage (which I believe was the plan of exGMTM) what if JBot is working in a different direction?

What if that direction is thus:  determine a style/system of hockey that has a better chance of success in the playoffs than other styles/systems (there must be data to ascertain this, no?).  Find a coach who ostensibly will be excellent with that style/system.  Create a roster that can successfully play that style/system.  

What say you, dear reader, about this as "the plan"?  

This is absolutely the plan. Tim Murray was about acquiring talent and leaving others to manage it.

He didn't flop because he made bad trades, he flopped because he provided bad structure.

56 minutes ago, SDS said:

That's exactly what is happening. It's why Phil is not in danger. It's why Jason isn't freaking out over losing streaks and forcing trades.  

The Pegulas are fundamentally operating under a different mode since Rex Ryan/Tim Murray really embarrassed them.

Absolutely. And what I worry about is that the pendulum has moved too far in the other direction, that Botterill is focused so much on structure that he may fall short on acquiring talent.

I stress that I haven't decided that this is what is happening, just that it is something I'm watching.

I like what Botterill has done and continues to do as an administrator. The talent acquisition aspect is still very much a work in progress.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

They can’t rotate ten D in and out.  Someone had to go.  Allevidence points to a long day rather than spontaneity.  And what,s your deal with women’s and men’s logic?

In that one day we strengthen the protection of our team, and the next we weaken. We buy expensive and sell cheap. Give the ring and get socks.)) This is not consistent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.