Trade: Beaulieu to Winnipeg for 6th rounder

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont know if I would word it as 'solidifying the deal' as I doubt the Canes were holding off on making it a deal until Buffalo included a 6th, I think it's more of a 'sweetener' where throwing it in is gravy so they can say they got more then Pu for him....

There was also a 3rd round pick, by the way.  But anyway, this is why I would really love to be a fly on the wall for one of these discussions.  I'd love to know exactly how the talks progress up to the point of that 6th rounder being thrown in.

1 minute ago, LikeEich said:

I would of preferred giving up a 3rd to rid ourselves of Bogo. Maybe even a 2nd 

Why?  He's overpaid, but not horrendously with only 1 year left (IIRC) on his deal.  And is now the 3rd best RHD on a team with only 4 NHL quality RHD's.

He also has been the guy that both the rookie D-men play their best when paired with him.

He'll be fine as the 3RD.

Just now, IrwinNelson said:

Arguably our best prospect (Olofsson) was drafted in the seventh. A sixth isn’t nothing, but it’s not much and it’s likelihood of hitting is low.

That likelihood is a lot higher than no draft pick at all though.  I'm not really sure why this is a big discussion though, other than someone wanted to butt heads for the hell of it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

There was also a 3rd round pick, by the way.  But anyway, this is why I would really love to be a fly on the wall for one of these discussions.  I'd love to know exactly how the talks progress up to the point of that 6th rounder being thrown in.

I know, but the joke doesnt work with the 3rd....... maybe if it was a #2?

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why?  He's overpaid, but not horrendously with only 1 year left (IIRC) on his deal.  And is now the 3rd best RHD on a team with only 4 NHL quality RHD's.

He also has been the guy that both the rookie D-men play their best when paired with him.

He'll be fine as the 3RD.

I feel as though he's a defensive liability. More so then any of our other defensemen. Even with his on ice play aside, I'd rather not have him in the dressing room. I don't have solid proof or an article or anything that's just my take. His heart isn't in the game anymore if you ask me. 

Just now, LikeEich said:

I feel as though he's a defensive liability. More so then any of our other defensemen. Even with his on ice play aside, I'd rather not have him in the dressing room. I don't have solid proof or an article or anything that's just my take. His heart isn't in the game anymore if you ask me. 

Don't see it myself, but fair enough.

7 minutes ago, jame said:

Are you saying Botts was prevented from hiring a better coach?

Unrealistic to fire Housley last summer.  Also, and I realize this is anecdotal, but in my experience, people who are in the dark place that Lehner was in often need a change of scenery.  Anyway.  About Beaulieu...

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Analytics say Beaulieu was a hair above replacement level. I'm not going to worry he's gone. 

Do you miss the days of not having replacement level depth... and instead having Tennyson, Falk, etc  (EDIT: Crap this is the type of sarcasm that gets me in trouble... lets see if my edit clears

Reality, Botts gave away two replacement level NHL defensemen in Beaulieu and Fedun for 6th and 7th rounders. It's not a great look.

Botts has demonstrated for 2 straight years that he lacks an appreciation for the "roster fringe". Last season, he put together a god awful 1/3 of the roster (I've said before, 1/3 of his roster is not in the NHL today). And throughout the year as replacement level talent passed through waivers he did nothing. Now he's giving that level away for fringe draft picks.

It's a small thing... but it's real.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Unrealistic to fire Housley last summer.  Also, and I realize this is anecdotal, but in my experience, people who are in the dark place that Lehner was in often need a change of scenery.  Anyway.  About Beaulieu...

Agreed. I fault the initial hiring, not a lack of firing.

Agree on Lehner as well. My position is the change of scenery that a good GM should've identified, should've led to him going on waivers to Rochester. We either lose him on wiavers (doubtful) and we are in the same place today... or the change of scenery works, and we reap the benefits.

Just more small ball Botts fails

Edited by jame

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't see it myself, but fair enough.

That's the thing that puzzles me, it's like 50/50, each to the extreme. Those wanting him gone yesterday, and those who think he bring leadership and a good presence. Not much middle ground it seems I just it odd

Edited by LikeEich

3 minutes ago, jame said:

You must already miss the days of not having replacement level depth... and instead having Tennyson, Falk, etc 

Reality, Botts gave away two replacement level NHL defensemen in Beaulieu and Fedun for 6th and 7th rounders. It's not a great look.

Botts has demonstrated for 2 straight years that he lacks an appreciation for the "roster fringe". Last season, he put together a god awful 1/3 of the roster (I've said before, 1/3 of his roster is not in the NHL today). And throughout the year as replacement level talent passed through waivers he did nothing. Now he's giving that level away for fringe draft picks.

I think part of it is that Botts doesn’t expect us to need replacement level fringe this season. Unlike the 2005-2006 tam who could have definitely used more replacement level d-men, Botts doesn’t see us making a run and in the case of an injury, he would rather give Borgen, Pilut and company games than Fedun/Beaulieu. It’s not like he’s dealing terms. Beaulieu has control but he’s clearly ill-favored.

Edited by IrwinNelson

Just now, IrwinNelson said:

I think part of it is that Botts doesn’t expect us to need replacement level fringe this season. Unlike the 2005-2006 tam who could have definitely used more replacement level d-men, Botts doesn’t see us making a run and in the case of an injury, he would rather give Borgen and company games than Fedun/Beaulieu

We could've had those guys next year... we're supposed to take one of these seasons seriously sooner or later right?

1 minute ago, jame said:

We could've had those guys next year... we're supposed to take one of these seasons seriously sooner or later right?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s tough finding 7th defensemen in free agency or say for a sixth or seventh if that turns out to be the case. But you’re right, it would be nice to have a serious season, but that involves serious contention. Experience matters this year and this trade signals that, in the event of injury, the young guys are going to get just that.

5 minutes ago, jame said:

You must already miss the days of not having replacement level depth... and instead having Tennyson, Falk, etc 

Agree on Lehner as well. My position is the change of scenery that a good GM should've identified, should've led to him going on waivers to Rochester. We either lose him on wiavers (doubtful) and we are in the same place today... or the change of scenery works, and we reap the benefits.

Just more small ball Botts 

7 minutes ago, jame said:

Just more small ball Botts fails

Beaulieu wanted out. Take the 6th and be done with it. Give his spot to someone whose ready to let his work ethic earn it. Clif Pu and Nick Baptiste were just traded for future considerations, and you're complaining about a 7th for fedun. 

4 minutes ago, jame said:

Fedun is playing regular minutes for a playoff team...

it's a situation where Botts does a poor job of managing the edges of a roster... it's been the same story two years in a row.

Who cares if he is? Would he play for buffalo? No. Would Beaulieu? No.

You can't be mad he didn't pick up waiver players in 1 breath but be also mad he got a pick for a similar level of player. He decided to move on from Buealuie and did. He got a pick from it. If Beaulieu is a hair above waiver level, he can pick up someone on waivers next year. 

Also, i've commented on lehner and waivers. We 100% disagree. 

20 minutes ago, jame said:

Fedun is playing regular minutes for a playoff team...

it's a situation where Botts does a poor job of managing the edges of a roster... it's been the same story two years in a row.

No I get what you're saying. It's just hard to see the merits of your points when I'm one hand you want JBot making moves to help the team win now, but on the other hand chastising him when his failed attempts only cost us a 3rd to a 6th. 

2 minutes ago, LikeEich said:

No I get what you're saying. It's just hard to see the merits of your points when I'm one hand you want JBot making moves to help the team win now, but on the other hand chastising him when his failed attempts only cost us a 3rd to a 6th. 

Jame hates JBot it's as simple as that.

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Jame hates JBot it's as simple as that.

How many people called for him Murray's head? How many were surprised when he was fired? The answer is not enough. I'm hindsight it's easy to see how bad he boned us. 

I'd say Jame has been a buffalo fan long enough to be tired of all the B.S. because being a fan in the last decade has come with it's fair share. It's made him the ultimate skeptic, which I can appreciate. We need more fans like that to make sure the GMTMs heads roll in a timely fashion. 

I think the standard is a little bit unachievable though. Haha

Edit: Pure speculation 

Edited by LikeEich

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.