Mike Commodore: Babcock is a terrible person

LGR4GM

Mike Commodore was on the instigators and started talking about Babcock. Called him a terrible and arrogant person. Said how he is the meanest person he has met. Told a story that he was told about how in Toronto Babcock will toss others bags around while searching for his bag because he has to be the first guy into the hotel. Apparently he's a real a-hole. Discuss. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Michelle Therrien, according to Spittin Chiclets, used to tell guys in the locker room 'I don't even know how your wife could fck you. I mean, look at you. You're not even a man, you're embarassing'

Obviously paraphrased but that was the sentiment (expletives included)

So, is Babcock a dickhole? Probably. But, most of them probably are

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting tidbit - thanks, @LGR4GM.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I'm sure many of the successful coaches are jerks. OTOH, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Anyone ever hear that, say, Joel Quenneville was a complete a-hole? I haven't. (But maybe he is?)

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting tidbit - thanks, @LGR4GM.

I'm sure many of the successful coaches are jerks. OTOH, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Anyone ever hear that, say, Joel Quenneville was a complete a-hole? I haven't. (But maybe he is?)

Coach Q is pretty well known for being harder on the younger guys and not liking them (IIRC). Babcock is the same way

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

Commodore has been grinding this particular axe for years now.  Accused him of lying about his potential role on the Wings to convince him to sign as a FA and then treating him poorly.  Meh.

Here's the backstory, btw.  https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-commodore-rips-mike-babcock-in-profanity-filled-twitter-rant-013915124.html

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Coach Q is pretty well known for being harder on the younger guys and not liking them (IIRC). Babcock is the same way

Commodore was a vet I believe when some of the stuff he talked about happened. 

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

So this is a long running feud. Interesting. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Mike Commodore was on the instigators and started talking about Babcock. Called him a terrible and arrogant person. Said how he is the meanest person he has met. Told a story that he was told about how in Toronto Babcock will toss others bags around while searching for his bag because he has to be the first guy into the hotel. Apparently he's a real a-hole. Discuss. 

I was listening to it too...said he would get off the team bus and go to the luggage area and start throwing guys bags out on the ground until he found his and then yell at the team assistants responsible for loading the bus and say "I'm the head coach of the xxxx team! Why isn't my bag on top!?"

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Commodore was a vet I believe when some of the stuff he talked about happened. 

Yeah sorry that's not what I meant, more so that Babcock isn't the only one with a harsh reputation by some.

Though granted he has nothing like this, I just mean it doesn't surprise me

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

32 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I was listening to it too...said he would get off the team bus and go to the luggage area and start throwing guys bags out on the ground until he found his and then yell at the team assistants responsible for loading the bus and say "I'm the head coach of the xxxx team! Why isn't my bag on top!?"

This is really prickish behavior.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe we need a little more of that here. Someone has to hold these kids accountable.  

Last I looked Belichick isn’t all warm and fuzzy either.

Am I the only person that, when someone is an @#()*% to/around me I quit trying for that person? If you can't be a human being to other people, I ain't got time for that. Further, I didn't realize hockey players had issues where "Oh, no, coach was mean to me, maybe if I try extra, extra, hard next time he'll give me the praise I crave!"

I'm not even saying you're wrong, just that I'm surprised these relationship dynamics work.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Am I the only person that, when someone is an @#()*% to/around me I quit trying for that person? If you can't be a human being to other people, I ain't got time for that. Further, I didn't realize hockey players had issues where "Oh, no, coach was mean to me, maybe if I try extra, extra, hard next time he'll give me the praise I crave!"

I'm not even saying you're wrong, just that I'm surprised these relationship dynamics work.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but it’s odd how many great coaches in all sports aren’t exactly “good” or “nice” people.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but it’s odd how many great coaches in all sports aren’t exactly “good” or “nice” people.  

You're leading a group of millionaire man-children who are often pretty aggressive, cocky, and intense themselves. 

Edited by WildCard

18 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe you are falling victim to the assumption from Leaf Nation that he has won many and will lead them to many more?

I am surrounded by these types.

Maybe, I just think the years start to blur and I confused the Bowman teams with the Babcock teams. 

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You're leading a group of millionaire man-children who are often pretty aggressive, cocky, and intense themselves. 

Who have likely always been the best player on every team they played for growing up. It’s tough to tell someone what’s always worked for them isn’t going to work anymore. Sometimes to get the point across you’ve gotta let them know without being the nicest guy in town. Wouldn’t Herb Brooks say that’s what assistant coaches are for?

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Michelle Therrien, according to Spittin Chiclets, used to tell guys in the locker room 'I don't even know how your wife could fck you. I mean, look at you. You're not even a man, you're embarassing'

Obviously paraphrased but that was the sentiment (expletives included)

If not all of them!

You either have to decide what you want on your gravestone.

Either, He was too nice a guy or he only wanted to win no matter what it took. Mike chose the latter.

Who was the former player that said of Scotty Bowman -they opened him up and their is no heart inside!

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

He also mentioned their bad blood started with Anaheim at Babcock's start of his career. So Babcock was an ass even prior to him winning a Cup. 

To me a coach can be an ass to his players; but he should never take that over to staff unrelated to his position. They aren't being paid millions to put up with his attitude.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.