GDT: Sabres at Leafs 2-25-19 7PM

spndnchz

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. Figure out the price below 4 firsts and offer that for however many years

Without a 3rd Round Pick in 2020, the only offer the Sabres can give that Point would agree to and Tampa wouldn’t automatically match unfortunately would have to be greater than 10 Million AAV. 

EICHEL

4 minutes ago, jame said:

If we’re gonna bring back the offersheet, do it for Point.

side note: some GM is going to do it in the next year or so (make the offersheet a real tool again)... the exponential growth in the 2nd year contract/RFA costs is catching up... its hitting Toronto and Tampa now. GMs will have to accept that the best pathway to elite talent may be poaching it, because NOT making the offersheet allows great teams to bully great players into well below market contracts... see Kucherov bridge deal. 

Cant allow Tampa/Toronto to have great players at great costs

You would think that the easiest solution would be trading Risto for the rights for either of them (I haven’t watched much of Point, but I’ve always been high on Marner so whomever works) would be the easiest and arguably cheapest option. 

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Is that guy any good?

He’s not bad, a little injury prone though. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Not sure of Tampa's cap if we'd need to go that high

Tampa will be able to match anything... they catch will be if 4 1sts is the right enticement to avoid handicapping themselves long term.

FYI not trying to be a know it all here... but RFA compensation is measured based on 5 year average or contract cap hit, whichever is higher. So a 7 year / 49 million million contract isn’t measured for.... ***** that was filityh jack!!!! So it’s not 7.0 cap for RFA compensation, it’s nearly 10 million per for RFA compensation purposes 

my point being that it’s hard to give a big contract and not have it reflect 4 firsts

3 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

They only have $10.3m in cap space with only 15 skaters and 1 goalie. If they can’t make it happen with Mitch, they aren’t going to make it happen with Skinner. If Skinner hits open market someone will match Stone’s deal. They desperately need to upgrade their defense, you would think they go for that. 

Yeah, but they'll be able to weave their way around it. Kadri can be traded for cheaper assets and picks in the offseason. Buyout Marleau's last year. Heck... they might even try to bridge Marner to buy time for 2 years --- and he might be amenable to keep playing with Matthews and Tavares.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I appreciate your dedication to the Star Wars shtick. I always get a chuckle reading your posts ?

Thanks. I try to bring some levity to all of us 'Spacers in these dark times.

Eichel!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.