Cap Picture for 2019-20 after the Deadline and what’s next.

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If I'm reading capfriendly correctly, Tampa will have about $6 million left next year to sign RFAs Point, Paquette and Erne, as well as replace UFAs Girardi, Stralman and Coburn.They will probably want to clear between $6 and $10 to sign Point and add to D. Callahan, Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, and Killorn have no movement clauses.

Player-wise, Ristolainen makes so much sense for them next year. I wonder how much groundwork has been laid.

I want more then Miller if I'm trading them Ristolainen

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Definitely. But we have to sweeten the pot by giving them their cap relief.

How about:

Miller, Callahan, Foote and Cirelli ($12.5 million) for

Risto and Sobotka, ($8 million)

Just now, dudacek said:

How about:

Callahan has a NMC.  Would you leave TB for Buffalo right now?  Biggest issue is losing Risto leaves us with RHD's of Montour, Bogo, Nelson and Hunwick and we lose our most phyiscal player.

Maybe sub Cernak for Cirelli.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How about:

If they can’t sign a high profile UFA then I think you are right that they will go out and make a trade and take on a bad contract to get a good young player / prospect as part of the package. 

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Callahan has a NMC.  Would you leave TB for Buffalo right now?  Biggest issue is losing Risto leaves us with RHD's of Montour, Bogo, Nelson and Hunwick and we lose our most phyiscal player.

Nope. But if I won the cup this June, and I was from the Buffalo area, I might.

But if all those guys exercise their clauses, they pretty much have to move Miller and/or Gourde.

The simplest solution for them is to trade Miller for a pick/picks and cross their fingers that $11 million can pay for Point, Miller's replacement and two D.

Do you trade the Blues 1st for Miller? Somebody will certainly trade something similar.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nope. But if I won the cup this June, and I was from the Buffalo area, I might.

But if all those guys exercise their clauses, they pretty much have to move Miller and/or Gourde.

The simplest solution for them is to trade Miller for a pick/picks and cross their fingers that $11 million can pay for Point, Miller's replacement and two D.

Do you trade the Blues 1st for Miller? Somebody will certainly trade something similar.

What about Nylander and a 2nd in 2020?

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting. Bring on the draft and free agency. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

If I'm reading capfriendly correctly, Tampa will have about $6 million left next year to sign RFAs Point, Paquette and Erne, as well as replace UFAs Girardi, Stralman and Coburn.They will probably want to clear between $6 and $10 to sign Point and add to D. Callahan, Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, and Killorn have no movement clauses.

Player-wise, Ristolainen makes so much sense for them next year. I wonder how much groundwork has been laid.

Bring on the draft and free agency. Interesting times

16 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

So we go into next season with the same forward group?

I also started by saying "if" he is ready. The kid is 23 next season, played 3 seasons in the NCAA and 1 in AHL. Why is it impossible that he is NHL ready next season? no reason he couldn't complete for a roster spot next year.

I have no problem with Borgen competing for a spot, but if it truly is an honest competition there's no way the spot he takes is Ristolainen's. If he's ready he should replace Nelson or Bogosian. Ristolainen has practically been our top RHD since he was drafted so he isn't the weakest link that needs to be replaced. The defense is stronger with him on it than it is with him gone and Bogosian or Nelson in his place.

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

I have no problem with Borgen competing for a spot, but if it truly is an honest competition there's no way the spot he takes is Ristolainen's. If he's ready he should replace Nelson or Bogosian. Ristolainen has practically been our top RHD since he was drafted so he isn't the weakest link that needs to be replaced. The defense is stronger with him on it than it is with him gone and Bogosian or Nelson in his place.

Crusader wasn't saying that Borgen would take Ristolainen's spot.  That would likely go to Bogosian or Montour.  But should they move up, there is now a lower tier hole to fill and Borgen would be in that mix.

I'd prefer not trading away Risto, but any of the D could bein play to try to fix the forwards.  (Seems to be spinning their wheels to trade him, but that is possible.)

18 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

a big piece of the puzzle for me is Borgen. Is he ready to play in the NHL and provide someone like Dahlin a tough stay at home type to play with.

If so, this definitely makes Risto available for a trade to bring in help for the forward group.

I think they are 2 big pieces away from being a legit playoff team.

1 via trade 

1 via free agency

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Crusader wasn't saying that Borgen would take Ristolainen's spot.  That would likely go to Bogosian or Montour.  But should they move up, there is now a lower tier hole to fill and Borgen would be in that mix.

I'd prefer not trading away Risto, but any of the D could bein play to try to fix the forwards.  (Seems to be spinning their wheels to trade him, but that is possible.)

As you can see above he said if Borgen was ready it definitely makes Ristolainen available for a trade to help the forwards. I think that would be a huge mistake.

I'm not opposed to Borgen competing for a spot in Buffalo, I am against trading Ristolainen. If Borgen's play warrants a spot on the roster, I'd prefer they demote or move somebody lower on the depth chart (like Bogosian or Nelson).

There are better way to improve our forward ranks than shipping off our best defenseman.

52 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

As you can see above he said if Borgen was ready it definitely makes Ristolainen available for a trade to help the forwards. I think that would be a huge mistake.

I'm not opposed to Borgen competing for a spot in Buffalo, I am against trading Ristolainen. If Borgen's play warrants a spot on the roster, I'd prefer they demote or move somebody lower on the depth chart (like Bogosian or Nelson).

There are better way to improve our forward ranks than shipping off our best defenseman.

Fair enough.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Callahan would come to Buffalo since he was born and grew up in Roch.  I just don't want that contract even if it is only for one year. 

Miller's modified NTC does not kick in until next season.  He will be moved before or at the draft.  I have been a big believer in JT Miller since he was with NYR.  I feel he can slot into the #2 center until Mitts has developed. Then slide to the #3 or any of the wings. 

Tampa still has Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev as offensive RD. I believe McCabe fits into Tampa's d plans better.  So if Tampa has to gain cap space instead of Risto could they be looking for a McCabe. Would be a couple of million cheaper then Risto. If they want RD then its Risto or Bogo.

Would you do a deal with McCabe for Miller?  Bogo for Miller doesn't give them cap space so there would be a much bigger deal in place.

If they want Risto, I want Sergachev in return, but this doesn't relieve them of cap space.

I do feel Buffalo has some options on D and feel still that either 1 or 2 of either McCabe, Risto, Scandella, or Bogo will be moved before next year.

Edited by sweetlou

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Interesting article on RFAs and cap hell for Tampa, Winnipeg and Toronto in athletic:  https://theathletic.com/844448/2019/03/01/lebrun-looking-ahead-to-the-nhls-roster-altering-headline-making-offseason-storylines/

For those who have access

We have the assets and cap space to take advantage of this; I believe Botterill has been building toward taking advantage of this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We have the assets and cap space to take advantage of this; I believe Botterill has been building toward taking advantage of this.

JT Miller here we come. ?

So you think Jbot acquired Montour to trade Risto to TB?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think he acquired Montour because he covets his ability to add to the five-man attack.

But I think it opens the door for a Risto trade, which was unthinkable when it left Bogo/Nelson/Borgen/Tennyson as our right side.

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm glad it makes you happy but if this comes to pass all Botterill did was downgrade two positions.

O'Reilly to Miller is a significant downgrade at #2 center

Ristolainen to Montour is a downgrade at #1 RHD

4 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

I'm glad it makes you happy but if this comes to pass all Botterill did was downgrade two positions.

O'Reilly to Miller is a significant downgrade at #2 center

Ristolainen to Montour is a downgrade at #1 RHD

Maybe, but the ultimate question is will the team be better, but does it free up money to improve the team elsewhere?  If we add Miller and Montour to replace Risto and ROR and the team makes the playoffs next year who are we to say that was the wrong course of action?  

Please note I am not in favor of trading Risto.  My preference is to upgrade Bogo and Scandella.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is he? 

I would say so, although not as big of a downgrade as the one from O'Reilly to Miller.

I just don't get why so many people want Ristolainen gone. He's better than everyone else we have on the right side. He provides offense, rarely misses time due to injuries despite being one of our most physical players, and he manages to hold his own despite getting thrown to the wolves from early on in his career. Despite that you never hear him bitch or complain to the press.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.